Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ambloved

Show us your baby roses and tell us about them.

ann beck 8a ruralish WA
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I'll try uploading my babies. (I lost some to a wind.) They are all just rooted in the last 2 months and potted in MG moisture control in 4 inch pots. Any tips on growing them on would be welcome. If not show you latest rose "baby" where you got it and what it is growing in or what else might be helpful to others.

Strawchicago....a couple in the middle have yellowish leaves, could that be from the non-stop rain in the last 2 weeks? Should I up-pot them or give them something? (

It will be getting freezing soon.)

Comments (99)

• seasiderooftop
    2 years ago

Thank you so much @sharon2079 !

Before seeing your reply I had ended up giving them the tiniest hint of fertilizer : a HALF dose dilution of the already weak Plagron StartUp (npk 3-1-3 with beet vinasse, humic acids and algae extracts). So I guess that means I gave them npk 1.5-0.5-1.5? They seem ok with it.

But to stay on the safe side, following your advice, I will hold off a little longer until I give them any more.

• ann beck 8a ruralish WA
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I don't know about seedlings of roses, but roseseek say "weakly weekly." It works for veggie seedlings and baby rooted roses, so it might be a good idea.

• Seeingreen
    2 years ago

Here’s my first seedling of the year. It’s not to terribly fancy but its weeks ahead of any of the other seedlings. I didn’t keep records this year I only grew a few selfs. I believe this ones mother plant is Beautiful Day but thats just a guess. :)

• sharon2079
    2 years ago

It is beautiful..... I hope you are having fun doing this.

• Seeingreen
    2 years ago

Yes It’s a fun Hobby. it suprises me more peole don’t try it. I love seeing all your seedling! do you still have more germinating?

• sharon2079
    2 years ago

I have 3 more that just came up.

• Seeingreen
    2 years ago

I have a few others in the tray still much smaller batch this year but I‘m just as excited :)

• Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
    2 years ago

Such inspiration! Sweet little babies.

• Seeingreen
    2 years ago

• seasiderooftop
    2 years ago

Wow, that one is gorgeous! Congratulations!

• Seeingreen
    2 years ago

Thanks cant wait to see more bloom.

• rosecanadian
    2 years ago

Seeingreen - wow!!! Well done!! I love it's center!

• Seeingreen
    last year

Thanks, I had a really small batch this year, under twenty seedling but its nice to still find some decent ones among them.

• rosecanadian
    last year

Really? Less than 20 seedlings and you got that lovely new rose! Great! :)

• sharon2079
    last year

Here are 3 of my babies that you have seen above.... but they were tiny 6 inch or less plants. They are now around a foot to 2 feet.... I am pretty excited. They have scent.

He has 3 blooms. They were at there peak yesterday but I did not have my camera with me.

• seasiderooftop
    last year

@sharon2079

Those are so pretty! Congratulations on successfully growing them on! Beautiful blooms AND fragrance, that's fantastic! Perhaps you said the parentage before but I didn't catch it, what are they?

• rosecanadian
    last year

I love them both!!! The color in the 2nd one is top notch, and I love deep pink, so I also love the first one. So exciting!

• strawchicago z5
    last year

Sharon: they are so precious !! The last one has a glowing apricot color, my favorite.

• candace z6b VA
    last year

Tangerine Skies own root. Almost killed it last year, but it survived. This is its first bloom. Smells moderately strong. Im hoping it will get stronger as it matures. It is so pretty!

• rosecanadian
    last year

Oh, that's such a beautiful rose!! I love the color!!

• strawchicago z5
    last year

candace z6b VA Thank you for posting those gorgeous pics. Tangerine Skies is on my wish list.

• sharon2079
    last year

I have shown you some of these guys .... Firecracker.... but he is starting to bloom a lot...... and I really like him. He starts out pink bud and blooms pink then turns yellow in the center

I have also showed you Too Ugly Turns to Beautiful Sway..... I did not cut the last blooms off. It is getting ready to bloom again, but look at all of my hips..

My last one is a brand new first time baby which I haven't named yet. It has a nice scent and a good little spiral going

• seasiderooftop
    last year

@sharon2079

"Too Ugly" is so cute with all her hips, that's great!

They all look great! Congratulations

• rosecanadian
    last year

I love them all...I think my favorite is Firecracker!!

• seasiderooftop
    last year
    last modified: last year

@sharon2079

How long did it take for your Too Ugly to become a Beautiful Swan? I know the first bloom is not the rose's final form but when does it stabilize to it's definitive form? Second bloom? Later?

Very curious to hear about your experience. I have some seedlings getting their second blooms soon so I'd like to know if I can consider those as the definitive appearance or if the flowers can still evolve.

• sharon2079
    last year

Seasiderootop, Too Ugly had only two petals for the first 3 times that it bloomed..... and they were kind of deformed and did not stay on the plant. It was truly ugly.... but it did have scent.... a very strong pleasant scent.....

But to be fair his first time blooming he was like just a couple of inches tall..... I know other people who say to pinch the first blooms, but I don't..... maybe that is part of my problem.

I had a few that I had liked better and they lived for one or two bloom cycles and then expired for some reason or another.... I kept thinking Too Ugly is trying so hard that I just didn't have the heart to murder it on purpose.... I kill way to many by accident....

Then it started putting out fully formed flowers but not alot..... now when it blooms it has several at one time even though he is still small..... I am pretty sure that this is an offspring of my Lyda that has since joined the list of roses I have killed (not voluntarily)

My daughter came up with his new name when he had lots of blooms.

• seasiderooftop
    last year

Thank you Sharon!

That's really great info, thanks for sharing. I guess this means I have to be patient if the fowers can still evolve even after the first three blooms! I will wait and see!

I find it has been rather easy to throw out the bad ones. I have limited space to grow all the seedlings so ideally I won't have to grow them on for too long before knowing whether they stay or go.

• sharon2079
    last year

And I thought Too Ugly was ugly when his first bloom had only two petals.....

Well I have another baby.... so disapponted and did not bother to take picture..... but will keep him in case he turns out to be a swan too......

My new baby rose had NO petals at all...... just the septals and stamens.....

• rosecanadian
    last year

Sharon - that's very strange. :) Well, this could be interesting. LOL

• sharon2079
    last year

Ok.... one of my baby roses went from that bushy thin limbs to having its first main cane..... Then something snapped that main cane off at the ground.... I am sad.....

I so far haven't culled any of my babies, they do that by themself by dying. This particular baby had blousy blooms until it had its first cane..... I am wondering if it was a sport of my baby..... or if it was going to be what it looked like..... I am now trying to take the main cane and root some babies..... here are some of the left over blooms..... and the reason I do not cull them..... It has a light but nice scent..... though they were NOT opened when the cane broke off. The were round little balls and I thought they were cute.... so I brought them in..... when they opened I got this..... Love them.... hope the plant lives and the cuttings take....

and

Straw if you see this,,. does the leaves look like they nee a certain nutrient..... thanks

Sharon

• seasiderooftop
    last year

@sharon2079

Wow!! I was looking forward to your posts in this thread and I am so glad you shared these pictures! That baby is absolutely gorgeous!! Oh I hope he will live AND your cuttings take, you'll have several of this beautiful rose!

• sharon2079
    last year

Just got through dead heading my firecracker.... his first bloom was last year on the 4th of July.... hence his name.....

I cut of maybe 8 old blooms and he still has some good ones and a few more coming on....So he is not disappointing for this year.... he is putting on his own firework

show.

• joeywyomingzone4
    last year

Your Firecracker is absolutely stunning!!!

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    last year

Sharon, your seedlings are fantastic! Im truly amazed at how beautiful they are and am anxious to see their bush form in the future. Hope you were able to salvage something from those last gorgeous blooms.

• rosecanadian
    last year

Sharon - those BIG pink blooms are stellar!! That rose is a winner!! I love it! And your Fireworks is a unique looking rose that looks like it will bloom its heart out...such cool flowers!

• strawchicago z5
    last year

Sharon: I'm a sucker for BIG and dark-pink blooms. LOVE that many petals. As to yellow spots on leaves, it's manganese deficiency (2nd most needed trace elements after iron for roses). SOLUBLE Master-Blend fertilizer has 0.2 manganese (highest) compared to other soluble fertilizers.

• sharon2079
    last year

I took Too Ugly out of the pot and planted it..... So far it has responded well

It is blooming and growing nicely.

• strawchicago z5
    last year

That color is much nicer than my Blue Mist, and your leaves are so healthy !! How's the scent on that "Too Ugly" creation? I love your pink BIG BLOOM up there with many petals, it's prettier than Austin Princess Alexandra of Kent, .. how's the scent with that pink bloom with many petals?

I'm getting better at rooting roses, succeed in rooting Annie L. McDowell INDOOR despite a tiny cutting.

sharon2079 I'm impressed at what you created. A few years ago I was pathetic in rooting roses. I never imagine that i can root 10+ Evelyns & others to band-size to sell and donate to charities. It's a big jump in success in just one year of trying new methods in rooting.

• sharon2079
    last year

strawchicago z5 The big bloom lavender pink one above that is inside bouquet actually bit the dust and died. I have a very very tiny cutting of it that rooted.... but it has a black streak coming up from the root in the pot. The streak has quit spreading upward and the baby bush part is not dying back..... but it sure looks quite unhappy and not healthy. I have some people helping me care for my roses because of some health reason and they had dumped fertilizer on the mother plant and it started dying the next day.... I am sure they burnt the roots but I was NOT able to save the plant.... I took a cutting of one of the canes when I noticed the die back and rooted it..... not sure if it will make it or not.... but the scent on it was quite strong.... and I loved the blooms. They were just a tad smaller than a golf ball and they were roundish like a golf ball. When the petals opened up the outer petal guards opened first giving it a halo effect.... Then the rest of the globe opened..... And I loved how many buds it had.... That bouquet is just one cane cut. I did not cut a bunch of roses and put it together.....

Too Ugly has a nice strong scent. I am sure it is a seedling of Lyda. It smells just like Lyda, as well as looking like her except than being pale Too Ugly is bright fuchia. I can't believe it was so so ugly when it bloomed as a baby and now it does this...... makes me wonder why rose growers cull theirs in the first year.... I guess they have just too many new ones that they don't have room for them...... Makes me wonder what their actual culls look like.

I got Annie as well. It is in the area that flooded during our past hurricane.... it is one of the few that seems like it might make it. I noticed Beverly seems to be failing quite quickly. That makes me sad, I use it as a pollen plant because I love the scent so much...... Lyda on the other hand was always pollinated by honey bees..... Too Ugly attacts the bees too. There was a bunch on it when I went to take the picture but left as I got close.

What do you do differently to in rooting Evelyn and Annie.... Do you use the same process?

• strawchicago z5
    last year

I'm sad to hear that gorgeous BIG pink many petals rose is near death. I like yours more than Austin PAK and Jubilee Celebration. Your seedlings have marvelous deep colors !!

I learn from both Khalid in Pakistan (zone 9b) and Mindy from Hummingbird Roses how to root roses. Khalid shared with his techniques of rooting in his native high-calcium soil, and Mindy shared her tips of rooting in 3/4 Pro-mix potting soil (high porosity type with perlite mixed in), plus 1/4 play sand.

• rosecanadian
    last year

Yes, and scrape off the epidermis from the cut to the lowest V. Scraping all around the V...that's where the roots will form.

• sharon2079
    last year

It has been in the 40's night and 60's day here in South Florida..... My rose from seed that I call Firecraker seems to really like the weather. Compare his shape up above in thread to now..... though I do not know if it is the weather that is making him look more high centered or if it is because he is getting older..... Will have to wait til he blooms in the summer.

The blooms are an inch to two inches.... He had maybe 5 open and another 5 in bud....

(pretty sure he is a seedling from Lyda)

• strawchicago z5
    last year

That color is way better than Lyda (my pet-peeve about Lyda was the color was so faded in hot sun). I love to learn about its scent !! It's so exciting every time I see your new creations. You are gifted in breeding roses.

• rosecanadian
    last year

GASP!!! That's incredibly beautiful!! The richness of the pink is gorgeous...and it's a striped rose too! Any fragrance yet?

• sharon2079
    last year

Strawchicago the scent of Firecrack is just like Lyda.... I think someone told me is musk.... but if you were blindfolded you would not be able to tell the difference of it and Lyda. That is why I am sure it is one of her seedlings.... that and Too Ugly who just got through putting out a great show, but I forgot to take pictures.

Rosecanadian.... Firecracker smells just like Lyda rose and is just as strong. This time there seems to be a single stripe in the picture.... but normally not striped. Maybe it is weather. Normally this rose will change colors as the blooms open... I brought these two beauties in to share with my daughter who is home for one her friends father's funeral. I have told her about my creations and just wanted to share them with her.... I will allow the other buds to open on the bush and see if they still go through their progression of dark pink, to light pink and yellow

• rosecanadian
    last year

I'm glad you were able to share your creations with your daughter, but it's a shame about the funeral. Keep us posted on your seedlings. :)

• sharon2079
    last year

Today has warmed up to the 70;s.... The rest of the blooms opened yesterday and are starting to turn colors as usual on Firecracker..... Opens pink and then gets a yellow center....

• strawchicago z5
    last year

That yellow center intensifies its beauty. Absolutely stunning !! I like your Firecracker way better than Lyda. And Firecracker's leaves are so shiny & healthy. I wish I can smell it.

• seasiderooftop
    last year

Sharon, congratulationscongratulations on that Firecracker, she is incredible! I love how intense the colors are, and I agree with Straw that the yellow sets off that pink beautifully! You grow some gorgeous baby roses! Wow!

• rosecanadian
    last year

And the pink veining is really pretty! The little petals are very sweet looking. :) :)