Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
saconnon

Mystery Rose at Descanso Gardens

There is a beautiful pink rose on what looks to be a very old bush at Descanso. It has a nice fragrance. There is no ID tag, but maybe someone here knows this one?

Comments (37)

• Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Original Author
    2 years ago

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    2 years ago

Le Vesuve?

• User
    2 years ago

Looks a bit 'Le Vesuve' to me as well.

• jerijen
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I'd buy it as 'Le Vesuve.' Does Becky Yianilos ever hang out here?

Becky was around, when they destroyed that garden, so she might have relevant input.

Original Author
    2 years ago

Le Vesuve does look close from description at HMF. I am back here now looking at it. I would describe the color as coral pink, and Le Vesuve is described as silvery pink. I am not sure how much the soil will effect color but the soil in Descanso has same color and sandy texture as my yard a few miles away. The fragrance is almost exactly the same as Monsieur Tiller to my nose, so a light Tea fragrance. Here is a very long elegant bud and red new foliage.

Original Author
    2 years ago

A few more pics. My membership card for scale

• slumgullion in southern OR
    2 years ago

Wow, that's what everyone else's Le Vesuve looks like?!?! Mine is from RVR and is white/pink, not solid pink. Mine looks like the photo on RVR's website: https://roguevalleyroses.com/rose/le-vesuve/ Now I wonder is it misidentified?

• User
    2 years ago

I wonder if it might possibly be 'Bon Silene'?

• jerijen
    2 years ago

This is 'Le Vesuve' in the late Joyce Demits garden.

Original Author
    2 years ago

Bon Silene also looks quite similar too! The color is maybe closer to Bon Silene than Le Vesuve, but on HMF someone has a pic showing Bon Silene’s “characteristic wavey foliage” which I am not sure I am seeing on the Descanso rose. Also Le Vesuve should show darker veins on the petals? I am not seeing darker veins either.

2 years ago

Le Vesuve here from ARE.

Original Author
    2 years ago

Shelia, would you say it takes on some coral tones? It sure looks like yours and the nodding of the flowers and the flower petals shape are the same. I wonder if subtleties of color are just soil and climate? Also I am looking at my pictures again and the first ones taken at 8am and covered in a recent sprinkling are more silvery than the ones taken in the afternoon today. Are yours also prickle-free on the few inches of stem before the bud?

2 years ago

I generally think of mine as a saturated pink that is less coral than some of my other supposed to be pinks. It is a lovely color and seems warmer to me than Madame Antoine Mari for example and cooler than Madame Lombard.

The color on these Teas and Chinas can be variable to a shocking extent. I'll exhibit this on a bud photo I just took for you of Le Vesuve.

This is a prickle photo with the color off due to cold wet end of season issues today. I do see the red prickles.

• jerijen
    2 years ago

Just to note . . . A friend who is familiar with Descanso Gardens and the whole destruction of that collection is going to go there in the next 3-wks to a month, and take a look, to see if she can figure out what this is.

2 years ago

Slum, I have never seen Le Vesuve look like that RVRs photo. I think it might be another mystery.

2 years ago

Thanks Sheila for confirming. Darn, I'm disappointed to know I have another misidentified rose...I think I'm up to at least 3 now (not-Kazanlik, not-Le Vesuve, and an alba I'm pretty sure is not-Koenigen von Danemark). That's in addition to the half-dozen others that I recognized soon enough not to plant, rather I gave them away....

Jeri, the idea of "destruction" of the Descanso Gardens collections fills me with dread! I hadn't heard about anything bad happening there...on top of the recent carnage at Sacto Cemetery...UGH!!

2 years ago

Oh wow how distressing! That's just awful!

• HU-284226487
    2 years ago

The blooms of 'Le Vesuve' are smaller than 'Bon Silene' when grown under the same conditions and it is sometimes sold as a 'China/Tea. After all of the other identifying traits of a rose, I evaluate the scent of it, if I have smelled it before.

Le Vesuve has an unusual smoky scent, to me.

Lux.

2 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion, Lux! I'll try to remember to go smell my "LV" next spring.

• jerijen
    2 years ago

Yeah. I thought that destruction was the worst imaginable, until the Sacramento destruction happened. It still breaks my heart, and I won't go there. But thanks to Becky, I now have a full inventory of what WAS there, and I'm going to make that available on the Heritage Roses Group website.

• jerijen
    2 years ago

FWIW, Descanso DID have 'Le Vesuve'.

Original Author
    2 years ago

Oooh! So that might be it! I just love it’s look. Really a fabulous rose!

• jerijen
    2 years ago

Hopefully, we'll have a better answer after Thanksgiving.

In the meantime, you might also consider 'Hermosa':

'Hermosa' Rose (helpmefind.com)

2 years ago
    1. Hermosa here.

The blooms are smaller than Le Vesuve.

• jerijen
    2 years ago

But they do look similar to the "mystery" rose.

Original Author
    2 years ago

The blooms on the mystery rose are pretty large, probably 4 inches.

• jerijen
    2 years ago

Well, gosh, that does sound like a Tea, doesn't it?

• bekizoo
    2 years ago

I was at Descanso yesterday & am pretty certain that the mystery rose is the much loved Alister Clark 1924 Tea rose, Lorraine Lee. Unfortunately the bush is unlabeled (or the label is buried under the newly applied dollop of mulch) & had only 2 blooms left on it. It is the 2nd bush on the left hand side of the bridge entrance as one faces the rose garden in the Alister Clark rose section. In front of it is ’Squatter’s Dream’, a lovely apricot Clark single rose that smells like gingerbread. I am including the photos I took of the bush with 2 of the remaining flowers & a photo of the flower that was taken by Descanso rose garden volunteer Bettina Gatti that she posted on HMF. Also photos posted by Margaret Furness in South Australia. Stephanie, if you agree that the mystery rose is Lorraine Lee, please post your excellent photos on HMF

Taken 12/08/21 at Descanso Gardens

12/08/21 Descanso Gardens

12/08/21 Descanso Gardens

Taken by Bettina Gatti when the Descanso Rose Garden really was the International Rosarium & posted on HelpMeFind

Posted on HMF by Margaret Furness in Australia

Another photo of Lorraine Lee by Margaret Furness

2 years ago

I really need that one. I read it does mildew in certain areas.

• bekizoo
    2 years ago

All the Alister Clark roses at Descanso need to be saved, preserved & distributed! I made such a stink about the possible loss of them 6 years ago that they survived the destruction of the International Rosarium

• John (PNW zone 8)
    2 years ago

@slumgullion in southern OR I think the rose RVR sells as Le Vesuve is Homére. Here's a link to a thread I started about it a few years back. As the rose grew older, it became increasingly clear it was Homére. I left it behind when we moved, but it was an impressive tea rose in that garden.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/4893053/is-this-hom-re

• jerijen
    2 years ago

Becky . . . THANK YOU SO MUCH for following up on this.

• bekizoo
    2 years ago

My pleasure!

• bekizoo
    2 years ago

Stephanie’s excellent & detailed photographs made identifying Lorraine easy!

Original Author
    2 years ago

Ah yes Lorraine Lee does look like the mystery rose at Descanso! The HMF for Lorraine shows several pictures of the beautiful long pointed buds that are totally smooth from hip to first leaf, then prickles start, which are slightly hooked and point slightly down with not too many of them. Also the yellow color at the base of the petals and the coral-pink color is a match. Wow the picture at the Adelaide Botanical Garden is incredible! So full and bushy and tall! The one at Descanso is in a lot of shade and pruned too much. It seems to be known for flowering all winter so I’ll watch to see if it gets another flush, but they might prune it before it can.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022