Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_29144626058

ugly bathroom in rental property

I am renovating a property to be rented out and the bathroom is in great shape… it’s just hideous.

The ceiling was gold. I’ve painted it. The tub surround and vanity top is a light purple corian, and the walls are green.

The budget is very limited so I would like to work with what I have.

If you have any suggestions on what to do with the corian tub surround (without ripping it out), I’d love to hear!!

Comments (34)

• partim
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Can you paint the walls? On my screen the Corian doesn't look purple, it looks beige. And the walls look gold.

• PRO
    The educated design
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Yea, it’s so hard to capture accurate color. The walls are def this marble like, light green. They’re laminated so a little more work to paint them. I’d like to focus on the tub if possible!

• Jennifer Svensson
    2 years ago

Change the medicine cabinet maybe? Even a plain mirror would look better. Could be a cheap upgrade. What’s on the floors?

• partim
    2 years ago

I can't think that paint would hold up to the water.

• rnonwheels
    2 years ago

I would get a new medicine cabinet and lights and add mosiac tiles above the back of the tub on the primed and painted walls and on the top of the newly painted vanity backsplash. Get the purple to go more grey with these tiles that pull it all together. You could also put a row of tile on the tub. ? why is a toilet paper dispenser in that tub? I would try to change that!

• suezbell
    2 years ago

In addition to changing the faucet/knobs for the tub, you could add white wainscoting to the vertical exterior parts of the surround and to all the walls up to that same height.

Are the walls that slick water proof bathroom wall paneling material not practical to paint? If so, you might minimize them by covering them by adding a box self (shelves made shelving boards painted the same white as your window/door trim) around most of the room above head height.

https://www.homedit.com/box-shelves/

If not -- if the walls above the wainscoting can be painted, then paint the walls above the wainscoting a very pale brown -- a neutral tan -- making sure the tan doesn't have any pink or yellow hue. Tan should not clash with either purple or green Corian or any other color. Let us know how your project turns out.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 years ago

Paint the vanity out to white, rip off the hideous medicine cabinet, and add a nice big mirror and light above. Paint the walls white, Otherwise? Add money.

• apple_pie_order
    2 years ago

Is there a separate shower or are the tenants likely to rig up something over the tub?

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    2 years ago

Put in the work to paint the room. This looks like a trailer, not sure ripping the med cab out is that easy

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 years ago

The med cabinet is a couple screws and a little electrical.. If you want an improvement? Get RID of it.I don't know what you mean by "great shape" I'd tile the floor, paint, paint the vanity, get some Adequate LIGHTING A triple type fixture.

You're going to have to throw a little money at it. Add elbow grease and an electrician. I don't even see a gfi near the vanity. It's substandard by the lowest possible standard : ) How does one even SHOWER???

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    2 years ago

again, I think this is a single or double-wide, not sure how you repair those types of walls, that is what makes me wonder how easy or hard it is Jan.

• KW PNW Z8
    2 years ago

@The educated design Is this a moblie or modular home? Thinking that it is & walls aren’t paintable. Is that carpet on floor? Biggest improvement would be replace with vinyl & replace rubber baseboard with new to match. I wouldn’t paint vanity if this is a rental as won’t hokd up to hard use. I would try to upgrade medicine cabinet to another with nicer light & also with storage. Looks like linen closet opposite sink - does the cabinet hardware / pulls need update along with same on vanity?. @rnonwheels - that’s not a toilet paper holder in tub - it’s a soap dish with bar to hold face cloth.

ETA - if flooring is not carpet, it appears to have two different kinds - tub & toilet floor look different. I’d replace with lighter flooring & all one kind.

• partim
    2 years ago

Since this is a rental and you've already told us your budget is very limited, just give it a thorough cleaning and call it a day, rather than paint the tub surround and run the risk that the paint peels. Sounds like you addressed the ceiling which was the worst part.

To my eye the colours are not that bad. They're soft pastels, and green and purple are complementary colours on the colour wheel as I showed in the links above. If you can find a picture with green and purple, hang that on the wall somewhere. Try your local thrift shop.

Looks like you have a wall of cabinets opposite the sink, that are the same wood as the vanity cabinet. If you paint the vanity you'd have to paint those too. A pretty big job.

I lived in way worse rentals in my student days, and I'm not talking colour-wise!

• PRO
    The educated design
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks for the feedback.
    This is not a mobile home, however, the walls are similar to what you’d find in one (in the bathroom). They’re shiny and seem like plastic/laminate, but they’re waterproof, which is great for a rental bathroom. The floor is not carpet. I will be doing a new wood look, light vinyl plank flooring. I will update the handles and the vanity mirror. Obviously the outlets will be updated to code. That’s an easy fix, but I wasn’t asking about that. Just if anyone has ideas for the walls or tub surround.
    A shower pole and L-curtain rod will be added as well. (Actually shower was added last night).

• PRO
    The educated design
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Has anyone ever painted those plastic-ish bathroom wall paneling? I am considering giving that a shot

• apple_pie_order
    2 years ago

Thanks for info. The tub surround is fine for this type of rental. The colors will be okay. I'd make sure that the new shower curtain doesn't have to be opened to grab a shampoo bottle: add a corner cubby tower that runs from tub edge to ceiling in one of the back corners, like this: https://www.amazon.com/Standing-Shower-Caddy-Tension-Pole/dp/B089GX7XJW/ If the L-shaped rod required two shower curtains, the landlord is better off hanging up new ones than waiting for the renter to buy and install them.

That plastic coated wall will peel quickly if painted, even if you do a stupendous job of sanding it down, priming, and painting, especially if there is no exhaust fan. Instead, shine it up with Gel Gloss, Kitchen Wax, or quick-spray-and-wipe car wax.

A good addition to an old vanity is to use leftover new flooring on the inside bottom shelf. Better than the old standby of Contact paper.

• partim
    2 years ago

I would not try to paint plastic panelling in a bathroom. https://www.wikihow.com/Paint-on-Plastic

"Not every plastic surface is suitable, including: plastic/laminate floors, bathtubs/shower stalls, or counters."

• jlhug
    2 years ago

Are the walls Marlite? It is hard to tell but that’s what they look like to me.

• User
    2 years ago

Have you ever owned a rental? From personal experience, money spent making sure the bath and shower surround is waterproof is money well spent. I would put money into a one piece shower and tub combo unit. Tenants will let the caulk go in set ups like that, and you will have water leaking and not know it until everything rots out from under the tub.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    2 years ago

what about wall paper? like a rental style wallpaper or the shelf liner. https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Wallpaper/s?k=Waterproof+Wallpaper

• happyleg
    2 years ago

Things are sticking out like a sore thumb in that bathroom I would paint the cabinet White so goes with the sink and toilet and remove painters tape from the ceiling

• Nancy in Mich
    2 years ago

You put a shower in this tub without better wall covering? I once used a plastic coated wall board and it clearly said it would not hold up to being in a shower. Your Corain is great in a shower, but not with all those seams. You also have a ledge that is just waiting to have water pool there so it can leak into the (almost guaranteed) walls that have no waterproofing.

If you are going to be a landlord, you need to make things idiot-proof. Not saying that all renters are idiots, but the majority of renters are going to be looking out for your interests and call you as soon as they suspect mold build up on that ledge part that is not Corian. Corian will stand up to anything, but for you to switch this to a shower, you needed any ledges to be slanted downward to drain. Be happy about the Corian portions. Paint everything to match that. But don’t expect a tub surround that is level to work like a shower that is made to drain away shower water. Mold and mildew shall ensue.

• happyleg
    2 years ago

There are around type oblong or something shower thing that connects from wall or ceiling and you hang it over the top and then it needs a shower curtain to go all the way around it

• Nancy in Mich
    2 years ago

And wet floors. The tub rim will not drain back to the tub. To protect from that, and to protect that seam in the wall board, and the place where the wall and ledge meet, you are going to have to insist that shower curtains go around all four sides, like a claw foot tub has. How do you ensure that tenants do that with every shower? No idea.This shower curtain ring.

• fissfiss
    2 years ago

Around us, a company called bathfitters can basically slipcover an existing bathroom. Don’t know if that franchise exists where you are, but I think it would be worth a call if you don’t want to rip things out.

• partim
    2 years ago

My son got a bathfitters quote recently and it was way more expensive than a regular shower reno. YMMV depending on where you live. But it's not an inexpensive alternative.

• PRO
    The educated design
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks everyone. We’ll just be taking out the corian, building two walls (one at the head and one at the foot of the shower) and installing one of those one of those fiber glass shower surround. We didn’t want to build walls bc we didn’t want to block light coming in from the window. But I’d rather have blocked light as opposed to a rotted floor from water accumulation.

• happyleg
    2 years ago

Move window higher & instalaid the window & board up & prime/paint.

• strategery
    2 years ago

That's hideous. Post a floor plan and start over.

• suezbell
    2 years ago

if it is likely renters will use the tub as a shower by adding a shower handle to the faucet anyway, consider going ahead and adding some kind of surround or at least a shower curtain -- build a wall at both ends of the tub.

• apple_pie_order
    2 years ago

Please post an update when you are ready.