Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mr_bill_m

Let's play "Name that Noid" - guesses are free

Bill M.
2 years ago

About a year ago a very generous person send me a box of hoyas he removed from his yard during a trimming session. Some of them were easily identified, however others are beyond my ken. Take a guess of what these plants could be. The reddish one is due to being directly below the light. I've also included a bloom from it as well.

and here's it's bloom

The red leaves are close to the Feilt Light

This grows super well and sends out a single long vine but no leaves yet

Here's a close up of the red leaved one.

Remember, guesses are free and the winner gets bragging rights!

Thanks for your help....

Comments (7)

• moonwolf_gw
    2 years ago

1. Merrillii (it's leaves turn a gorgeous, bronze red in high light)

2. Pubicalyx (unsure of which variety)

3. cv. Minibelle

4. Carnosa

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• Bill M.
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I hope you're right Brad, but these plants were growing wild in his yard and he was cutting them back from overwhelming area. I would tend to think they are common varieties of hoyas, but I hope you're right and I'm wrong.

All the best to you my friend. Stay well and much success in all you do.

• Bill M.
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Brad, you're a genius! I looked up the names of the plants you gave me and I believe you're dead on target! The pics on the web look identical. I would never have figured this out on my own. Thank you.

You really need to be working in a conservatory or garden center. You're a wealth of knowledge. Thank you again.

• moonwolf_gw
    2 years ago

Aww shucks <3. That's the dream someday! I wanna own a thrift store/nursery combo business someday, and there'd be a little cafe inside the thrift store where you can have fresh lemonade, sandwiches and burgers, desserts, and other tasty vittles.

But glad I could be of help. Merrilli is one of my wish list Hoyas (it's quite possibly my favorite for foliage, at least in the top 5). Being a part of the forum for 12 years, you get used to some IDs here and there, so I owe my knowledge to the others here or used to be here. And the vast wealth of others on the 'net.

When I open my place, you bet there's gonna be Hoyas for sale (along with others like carnivorous plants (my first love before I found Hoyas) ). You're all invited.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• Bill M.
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I'll be there!

When I lived on Long Island, I always wanted to open a vivarium where people could walk through, enjoy the flowers and butterflies and stop at the cafe and enjoy coffee, cake etc. I did a lot of research into it and the biggest problems were the short lifespans of the butterflies, the damage the kids and people do to them, and the long dreary winters. It just wasn't feasible on a large scale. Utility costs on LI made it prohibitive as well.

A nursery / cafe on the other hand is a doable combination. I hope you get to live your dream, and it becomes very successful for you. I know you have the desire and work ethics to succeed, so once it's up and running, yes, I'll be a customer. So will a lot of others you've met along the way.

Never lose sight of your dreams Brad.

All the best always.....

Bill

• popmama (Colorado, USDA z5)
    2 years ago

Well done, Brad. I would have said the same thing with the exception of that merillii. I couldn't be sure of that one. I even have a merillii and couldn't be sure of that! Haha.

But the others were recognizable to me.

• Middl3 Fing3r
    2 years ago

Well Pooh...now I have to rethink my missing tag guessing game. I bought a Merrillii and a Hoya pentaphlebeta both had long lost tags.. There is some splash on the new leaves. Pic attached.

I labeled it a Hoya pentaphlebeta with a question mark. Seems I might have an answer. Do you all think it is a Merrillii?

Mine looks very much like yours. The leaves on this one is thick.

Thanks!!

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County
More Discussions