Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chirag_patel7153

Sudden loss of water pressure in showerhead

chirag patel
2 years ago

Our BIG kohler showerhead lost water pressure all of the sudden. I took it out and opened it up and found no clogs or obstructions. All other showers/heads seem unaffected. What could be cause or solution?

Comments (11)

• Olychick
    2 years ago

If you turn on the shower with the head off, does it flow normally?

• chirag patel
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Um. Honestly I can't tell if the flow without the head  iss normal or not.

• chirag patel
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Let me rephrase...water seems to be flowing out without the head just fine

• kudzu9
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

...in which case, there is some obstruction in the shower head. You may not be able to see it, but it's there. Perhaps there was a release of crud in the piping that clogged the nozzles in the shower head. You may be able to fix things by inserting a needle into each nozzle and then pouring water into the shower head to flush out the debris.

• Olychick
    2 years ago

or try pouring (or spraying) white vinegar into the intake (you'll have to put it in a shallow container to keep the level of vinegar up into the fixture), let it sit for a while and see if it can dissolve whatever is there.
    I recently saw a youtube video that showed how to clean a clog in the spray holes by using a interdental brush, which I thought was brilliant!
    Like this:

• chirag patel
    Original Author
    2 years ago

So, I recognized something: when the water is running cold...force is higher than when I keep turning to mix into the Hot water. Is that something? If so, what could be cause

• chirag patel
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Also, I tested same thing in other shower...no issue when mixing in the hot water. Could it be the kohler valve?

• kudzu9
    2 years ago

Please clarify...it's unclear if you're getting no flow or low flow out of the problematic showerhead. What does the showerhead do when the valve is set to all cold vs. all hot?

• chirag patel
    Original Author
    2 years ago

When valve is set to hot...pressure lowers. Strangely, I have a handheld next to it(see picture). That is not effected when I change to cold to hot nor low pressure. They both are controlled by same valve

• D Nelsmama
    2 years ago

Our shower head would run normal when shower started, but a few seconds later water pressure was low, we found on the shower head all the little nozzles just had to be basically rubbed a bit with a finger the pressure increased, I now watch if the water is flowing out of nozzle sideways just to reach up and fixes th3 problem

• kculbers
    2 years ago

My husbands shower had the same problem, my shower head is fine. I cleaned his showerhead with: Clorox Bathroom Bleachfree Cleaner, and now it runs fine! Use this once a month on your showerheads and it keeps them clean snd functioning well.