Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisa_macinnis1724809

Space above cabinets, they bug me what do I do with them.

Lisa MacInnis
10 years ago
I need some advice, add cabinets, fill in with drywall, or just put stuff up there?

Comments (17)

• PRO
    Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
    10 years ago
    That bugs me too! When designing Kitchens we will sometimes hold the upper cabinets "short" like your house if we need space above for beams or painted box beams. Also you can add "rope" lighting up there to get a cool effect?
    10 years ago
    Crown moulding would look great too on the cabinets.
  • Sasha Retana
    10 years ago
    I was going to suggest crowns for a more finished look. Otherwise, start a jar collection!
  • rdayfamily
    10 years ago
    We use that spec for rope lighting and airplay speakers.
  • kimedge
    10 years ago
    Hi, I would get some good cardboard boxes with lids and cover them in wallpaper (cheaper than buying pre-made) to match the colours in your kitchen. Then declutter the kitchen with everything you haven't used in the last 6 months and put the boxes on top of the cupboards. Or invest in painted boxes if your budget extends. Then decide what you want to live with. Once you've got stuff on top of the cupboards you might hate it!
  • Lynne Mysliwiec
    10 years ago
    If you cannot afford tall upper cabinets, I definitely recommend installing a soffit - that's a LOT of space
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    I have always disliked that space above the upper cabinets. An invitation to junk the place up, it seems to me. Add display cabinets if budget allows, a soffit if it doesn't.
  • unwantedadvice
    10 years ago
    I'm with groveraxel on this one. Too much space above your cabinets. You already have a busy kitchen so no more stuff on cabinet tops and everything will be much nicer!
  • Karin Madgwick
    10 years ago
    Have a builder put in a bulk head with crown moulding and paint it the same as your walls
  • nwduck
    10 years ago
    Not exactly sure how this would look, but....since you've got the black chairs, what if you tried a FEW simple black pieces up there to fill the space? A black tray set on its side, a good sized black bowl, a piece of black metal art? You could trade out the clock above the sink (or paint the existing frame black) to tie it in. It would visually fill the void without looking too cluttered. Until you decide on $$$ for a more permanent solution, that is! (And agree about clearing the top of the fridge.)
  • PRO
    Effortless Chic
    10 years ago
    IF you have budget for it , then add cabinets to the ceiling, if not just leave it as is. Soffit would make the the ceiling look lower and the whole kitchen optically smaller, paying for soffit would be a waste. And putting stuff on top of cabinets would look cluttered .
    IT also seems that the light fixtures are too small for the scale of your kitchen.
  • PRO
    Pratt Residential Design
    10 years ago
    If you have the budget and about 18" of space above.the cabinets now, consider glass (or obscure glass if you don't want to see inside) cabinets with lights in the interior, and a small crown on top. These can be separate boxes so you don't have to toss out your current cabinets.
  • loves2read
    10 years ago
    You can also use contact paper over boxes which might be easier than wall paper...
    you seem to have kind of a country look in your kitchen--
    consider getting some baskets--rectangular with a chunky weave--as big as you can fit on their sides up there...and interspace some big baskets with objects in their and other baskets sitting upright or maybe leaning against the wall...
    You could use some shallow round ones with a design or colors so you get a 3d effect...
    anything you put up there will gather dust though...so be prepared to clean every so often...
  • morristodo
    10 years ago
    Do a crown and clear the clutter. Your kitchen will look great.
  • PRO
    Ashley Malowaniuk
    9 years ago
    You can have a carpenter make the cabinets look extended by boxing them to the ceiling. It makes your ceilings seem taller and looks finished.
  • vickicz
    9 years ago
    Old post