Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leann_thompson72

What color countertop to match existing counter?

LeAnn Thompson
2 years ago

I am cutting down my breakfast bar to make one height counter, but I am not sure what color /material to do for the peninsula area.
The current granite I have is no longer available. It is a white, gray, black color combo.

My first thought was black quartz for a statement, but now nervous it might make the space not feel as open.

A- black quartz/granite
b- pure white quartz / granite
C- white quartz with gray marble lines
d- white quartz with black marble lines

Comments (16)

• Fori
    2 years ago

Black or white--no veins, no spots. Just solid.

If you can find a solid gray, that would look pretty good as well.

• acm
    2 years ago

I think the stone you have is really pretty, and any nonmatching stone used just for the peninsula will look about as nice as a nonmatching quarter panel on a car. Would only cut down the bar as part of a larger renovation.

• LeAnn Thompson
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The granite I have is no longer available.

• Laura Hill
    2 years ago

Just to be clear — you would be replacing the entire perimeter granite (yes, a solid black or white would be best; quartz, perhaps?) and leaving the original granite on the island, right?

• LeAnn Thompson
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Yes, replacing the granite for the sink /bar area and keeping the rest of the granite.

I am cutting down the bar to have more counter work space, entertaining purposes, and open up the space a little more.

My husband insisted we keep the bar when we renovated this house 2 years ago and I hate it still.

I want a huge island I can roll cookies out, cook with my kids help without them being in the actual kitchen part of the house.

• palimpsest
    2 years ago

Was the piece from the upper level cut from the same slab as the piece from the lower?

I wonder how they line up and could they be seamed along the back.

It won't be invisible but it may look less patchwork than having a completely different granite only on the peninsula. Where were you planning on seaming the two granites together?

It still does not solve the outlets issue.

And honestly, with regards to entertainment, serving food around the sink and on the same level as the sink doesn't seem like a great idea to me. Entertaining usually involves actually having to use the sink, so it won't really be clean. At least the raised bar is a separate surface.

• julieste
    2 years ago

I have to join the chorus that thinks your raised bar serves a purpose--it serves as a divider between the kitchen and other living areas. Unfortunately, because of the sink placement, your situation is not one where you can magically remove that and have a totally different type of design or space that will be miraculously more functional. Realistically just eliminating that 8" of bar height is not going to make your space seem more open. Your eyes will still be at the same level as now and that's the level you will still be looking from.

Plus, does your family end up setting "stuff" on that raised bar? If so, all of that "stuff" is now going to be dropped on the countertop.

• rebunky
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Your granite is pretty! It looks like Bianco Antico. I have heard it called Alaska White as well.

I am pretty surprised your granite is discontinued. It is a very popular granite which is stocked all the time in my town. Have you called other shops? Did you ask if it will come in sometime later or maybe they can have a piece delivered from another store not too far away? Are you on a tight deadline to get this done?

If I am understanding correctly, the new one level counter-height peninsula would be in quartz and it would have a seam connecting it to the existing granite. Were you thinking the seam would be in line with the wall that the door is on? I would definitely need to see a good example before I would try and pull that off.

I hope you are okay with hearing honest opinions and not upset that everyone is not simply answering the direct question on what color quartz you should pick. If it will look anything like what am visualizing, I think it will look like a huge mistake. Like you didn’t order enough material, so you just used whatever scrap piece that didn’t totally clash just to be done.

You have a lovely kitchen now. Personally I would leave it alone until I could afford to replace all of the perimeter granite to quartz if that is your desire. Or I would wait until you found the same type of granite that matched close enough to the existing. Even then, the seam will never be perfect, but I am sure it could get close enough to be acceptable. You could keep the granite on the island which of course is normal and looks great. I just have never seen what you are planning so it worries me.. But hey, I have been wrong before! 😬

• Shannon_WI
    2 years ago

@rebunky - you are correct. The granite on the island is called Alaska White or Bianco Antico. It also goes under the names of Lennon, White Springs, or White Delicatus. It is a popular granite and readily available. I do not know why the OP thinks it’s not.

Having said that, @LeAnn Thompson if you want a different material on the counter that you are converting from a two-tier, you should look for a plain Quartz with no pattern. That is because there is so much pattern in the island stone that another counter with pattern would clash. Also you would have to change out all the perimeter counters, not just the one converting from a two-tier. The only way I can think of that you could change just that counter and not have to change all the perimeter counters would be to choose a wood counter for just that section.

• rebunky
    2 years ago

I did a search for “different countertop on peninsula“. This blast from the past popped up.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/2447082/does-anyone-have-a-different-countertop-on-their-peninsula

I sure miss LavenderLass! A favorite Gardenweb kitchen was Sochi’s. Could something like she did work for you?

It might be alot less expensive as well since you could leave the sink counter. I like the example with wood that Shannon posted too.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    2 years ago

The bar top can be seamed to the existing top. It won't be completely inconspicuous, but it could be made completely acceptable.

• acm
    2 years ago

That would be my suggestion as well. I though Joseph would say it wouldn't have enough support, but if it's ok with him, that's far and away the best option!!

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

I think that is the best option but honestly pretty sure you can find that granite not too often granite is discontinued .

• Svetlana J
    2 years ago

I recently converted a two tier bar into a single level countertop with a sink in the middle. It was in the townhouse I purchased for my mother in law. At first MIL was against it entirely (she’s 80) but now she absolutely loves it.

• PRO
    SIDLER®
    2 years ago

I suggest white quartz as it is timeless so, if you ever sell your home at down the road, it will still look up to date.