Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
richardj_mcneil

First snow of season

Jurassic Park
2 years ago

Woke up on Christmas Eve morning to a surprise, light coating of snow on trees. Best of all, all gone before noon and rain and 50's for tomorrow.

Snow on Magnolias and Atlas Cedar

Snow on Eastern Hemlocks

Snow on Camellia japonica

Snow on Japanese Fan Palm (Trachycarpus fortunei)

Snow on Nandina

Comments (6)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    2 years ago

We are expecting a light dusting (3-5 in??) as well, but not until tomorrow evening. What is of greater concern is a spell of abnormally cold weather that will accompany it. Reportedly the "coldest weather in a decade", it is not supposed to get above freezing for the next week and could drop as low as the teens at night!! Yowza!! I didn't even experience a hard frost last winter!!

• User
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Margaritaville (Zone 7b/NJ), It's stunningly beautiful to see such warm weather plants dusted with snow. Thanks for posting!

The mild weather we've had this Fall is barely supporting the few of inches of snow we have on the ground now. It melts a little every day.

They're predicting a couple inches more tomorrow and a few more Sunday and next week but we'll welcome it due to the first, below zero temps that are coming middle of next week. Plants seem to like the ground cover when it gets that cold.

• arbordave (SE MI)
    2 years ago

"not supposed to get above freezing for the next week ..." That does seem highly unusual for your region, but the winter forecast did call for below average temperatures for the PNW (and above average precip) - gardengal, are you concerned about damage to some of your plants?

The good news here is that even though we're expecting above avg precip, we're also expecting above avg temps, so less snow and more rain :)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    2 years ago

"gardengal, are you concerned about damage to some of your plants?"

Yeah......the houseplants that are still hanging around outside my front door!! To be honest, it was 60F a couple of days ago and hasn't dropped below 40F at night. It's just been too wet and yucky recently to spend much time outdoors so I put it off.

But that's all changing!! All the houseplants are now safe and warm indoors. Everything else will just have to fend for itself. Most have already wintered an Arctic blast in the high teens in a previous garden and my current location has an even milder microclimate. I'm not too worried.

But I guess my nasturtiums will finally stop blooming 🤔

• bengz6westmd
    2 years ago

Eastern hemlocks..... Have any issues w/the Hemlock adelgid?

• Jurassic Park
    Original Author
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Beng, occasionally I will see a few in the Summer on the lowest branches, but it seems something is keeping them in check. If I see any on a branch, I will hose them off, but never use any pesticides. I think I noticed it being more a concern during hot and dry summers several years ago but recent summers have been very wet, and overall they are very healthy. Maybe another exotic invader from around the world is feeding on them now. Who knows.