Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christie_mason88

Should I get a 4" backsplash same as my counter material if no tile?

Christie M
2 years ago

I'm ordering new countertops, as the house came with laminate and I want to update it to quartz in a similar color. I'm planning to remove the tile backsplash, and to fix the drywall behind it. My dilemma is whether to get the 4 inch backsplash in the same material as the countertop, or not. I know that look is dated, but I also don't want to tile the wall. Oh, and the 4" backsplash pushes me into a second slab, so it adds ~ $1500 in cost. Of note: my kitchen sink is on a peninsula, so I don't have the issue of water splashing behind the sink onto a wall. Thanks in advanced for your input!

Comments (42)

• Carrie B
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Why don't you want a tile backsplash? I'm constantly wiping my tile backsplash off from food-prepping muck, beverage drips, and stove splatter. Way easier to clean than drywall paint.

Christie M thanked Carrie B
  • Mary Elizabeth
    2 years ago

If the 4" puts you into another slab, why not just do a full matching slab backsplash?

Christie M thanked Mary Elizabeth
  • Tia M
    2 years ago

I think a 4 inch backsplash without tile would look nice and simple or as already suggested a full backsplash to match new countertops. I can see your vision and think it would work well. Don't feel pressured to get tile if you do not want it as you may regret it.

Christie M thanked Tia M
  • L J
    2 years ago

I am not a fan of a 4” backsplash. I encourage my clients to take their countertop material up the wall cabinet height. No grout is a big plus!!

Christie M thanked L J
  • mimimomy
    2 years ago

How about just using a washable matte paint or a nice wallpaper? I currently have a painted beadboard. Just really depends on the style you like. I would personally forego a 4" backsplash if it cost that much. Eeks!

P.S> last house I had, I put about a 4" tile border with a cap tile instead of a full tile backsplash (not a particular fan of the full tile backsplash, thought once in a while I see one I like). Suggest that you do what you like and what looks good to you! Good luck with your kitchen.

Christie M thanked mimimomy
  • Christie M
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you all for responding! I actually have thought about beadboard, mimimomy. And I like paint, too. I don't think I'd care for the look of having the whole backsplash from the counter material; I've seen that in other places and not really liked it, LJ, Tia and Maria. Carrie, tile looks very busy to my eye, and I loathe cleaning grout. Does anyone think it's a problem to simply have the wall come down to the countertop, even if it's not tiled?

• Tia M
    2 years ago

I have the wall down to the countertop with no issues at all. Behind my cooktop I have backpainted glass which is the same color as my wall. I settled for tile, then solid surface backsplash and finally after wasting money I went with the simple look I wanted from the beginning. I personally couldn't be happier with the clean simple look. Took 5 years to get it right or at least the right look for me.

Christie M thanked Tia M
  • palimpsest
    2 years ago

I think with the sink on the island and a range with the backguard you do not really need even the 4" backsplash, you can just have the counter and the painted wall.

I am probably doing a 4" backsplash and nothing above that because I am doing stainless steel with coved back and a short backsplash. I don't want 18" to 30" of stainless going up the wall for expense, fingerprints or the look.

Christie M thanked palimpsest
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

I am not a fan of the 4” backsplash. A good satin finish paint is washable when needed. I surely wouldn’t pay $1500 for it. Paint it and live with it for a while. I think you will be very happy.

Christie M thanked Flo Mangan
  • mimimomy
    2 years ago

I think it's fine to just have a plain painted wall. I had it for 15 years in one home. I did repaint the kitchen once, but that was because I wanted to change the color. I never had a backsplash (even behind the slide in range :) I have had 2 kitchens with very nice wallpaper (vinyl/strippable). Wallpaper is one of my favorites because there are so many options. Wallpaper and paint are easy to clean (if you use the right type). You can always add tile or wallpaper or beadbord or anything you want if you decide you don't like the paint! Good luck and I hope you enjoy your kitchen!

Christie M thanked mimimomy
  • herbflavor
    2 years ago

Long run of cab dooors void of hardware/ white counters / no tile or 4 inch ... just paint. looking like something happened leaving unfinished work. Purpose of tile is to add interest ... as in what is shown now. complete the aesthetic / go look for a tile and hardware. otherwise leave what is shown only prob is you think Formica should go .

• kculbers
    2 years ago

I have simple shaker styled gray cabinets and antique white walls for a clean look. I chose the 4” backsplash and am very happy with it. I cook meals from scratch and never get any food or splashes on my walls. Your backsplash type and height is quite a personal decision. Look at lots of Houzz photos to see what appeals to you.

Christie M thanked kculbers
  • arcy_gw
    2 years ago

The bottom line is the gap between the cupboards and the wall. That needs hiding. Tile or the four inch band does the trick. I see your previous owner did both--THAT'S not a look I would want. A lighter back splash will do wonders for your space. Your counter tops look to be in A-1 condition. Perhaps your money will be better spent focusing on the tile upgrade/removal, and leave the counters alone. There's a perfect fix. Remove the tile, fix the walls, paint and leave the counters and back splash as is.

Christie M thanked arcy_gw
  • julieste
    2 years ago

You say you think tile looks too busy. But, how about some very large, plain tiles (say 12" x 24") that will minimize grout lines? This would also solve the problem of that inevitable gap where the counter and wall meet.

Christie M thanked julieste
  • mimimomy
    2 years ago

Not sure why there would be a gap that needs hiding? This has never been a problem in my experience, and unless walls are seriously bowed or out of whack somehow, I can't see it as a problem. Why would there be a gap?

• chiflipper
    2 years ago

No way would I spend that much money for a 4" splash, there's nothing wrong with just having a painted wall. Be sure to use a non-yellowing clear silicone caulk to seal the edge of the top to the wall. Do not paint over the silicone.

Christie M thanked chiflipper
  • mimimomy
    2 years ago

Not sure about silicone? I use a paintable caulk in these types of situations so I don't have a severe line of demarcation and can paint over it if I want. It's worked for me, but caulk isn't my expertise :)

• aliciaflorrick
    2 years ago

I understand wanting to change from laminate to quartz, but would not spend $1500 for quartz backsplash. I would find a very simple timeless tile to complement your new countertops. The only thing that looks out of place with your current kitchen is the busy dark tile on top of the 4 in laminate backsplash.

Christie M thanked aliciaflorrick
  • Jennifer Svensson
    2 years ago

Another vote for paint. You can always add tile later if you want to.

Christie M thanked Jennifer Svensson
  • roccouple
    2 years ago

You might consider a 2“ backsplash if you have enough material for that

Christie M thanked roccouple
  • dan1888
    2 years ago

To save the $1500 I'd think about a creative use of the remnants of the slabs you're already buying. Evaluate any potential remainder pieces when you do the counter layout. Can the leftover be configured into tile size pieces 4 or 6" high to use as a backsplash. If not, ask the fabricator if he's got any other compatible quartz remnants for a similar idea. . .

As an alternative your fabricator can cut a 1" ogee or other figure into your slab extra. You don't have to go with a flat 4" piece of material. Consider the shapes used as moldings in other areas of your house. Like the options available for counter edges.

• Chris
    2 years ago

We had a laminate counter top with a trim piece against the wall sort of like you are describing at one time. It was fine except by the cooktop. The wall really got dirty.

• palimpsest
    2 years ago

Even when we had the back painted plate glass backsplash for the no backsplash look, we generally kept a decorative metal tray propped up behind the cooktop just because it was easier to clean than the entire backsplash.

• Christie M
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Wow, I can't believe all the responses I've gotten! I started demo-ing the backsplash today and want to cry. Now I'm thinking it will be too hard to salvage the drywall, and I'll either need to replace it or repair it with plans to cover it. Julieste, large plain tiles might be ok. I'm also still considering beadboard, which is a look I happen to like, but that makes me want to have my cabinets be white rather than the cherry color they are (which I don't actually love). I am feeling like I pulled the proverbial thread and everything is unraveling...

• Tia M
    2 years ago

Its really no big deal to replace the drywall (trust me I did it twice lol). Sharing pictures of my final look for some reassurance. If I can give you any advice skip the tile if you don't like it. Also repairing the drywall is still less expensive than purchasing and installing tile you dont love :)

Christie M thanked Tia M
  • palimpsest
    2 years ago

It's not all that hard to replace an area of drywall, and one of the major seams can be placed below the level of the top of the countertop.

Christie M thanked palimpsest
  • Christie M
    Original Author
    2 years ago

That looks very nice, Tia!

• Chris
    2 years ago

Remoding is like that… we once started with a drainpan leak and ended up with an entire bathroom rennovation.

we built an entire house 3 years ago… I cried SO much. Give yourself a moment to breathe. Even when you have thought through the millions of alternatives, something might trip you up. hang in there

Christie M thanked Chris
  • herbflavor
    2 years ago

call someone to assist. I do a lot of stuff but demolition in a kitchen and drywall removal/repair or who knows in a set up kitchen is an awkward cringeworthy activity. Pain. there are a lot of drywall guys that can do it in a snap. Have you done any drywall...let alone something like this?

Christie M thanked herbflavor
  • J Sk
    2 years ago

@Tia M, love your back painted backsplash. Doing right now in my kitchen. Could you pls share how was it attached to the wall?

• Tia M
    2 years ago

J Sk- I purchased the glass from a shop on Etsy who provided the adhesive. I believe it was something similar to what would be used for a bathroom mirror but I could be wrong. I'll message the seller and see if they can tell me what they sent. I'm pretty sure we used both tubes supplied so nothing to refer to around the house now. There was also an option to hang with clips which could be purchased off Amazon. If you hang with clips holes have to be drilled prior to painting the glass.

• chiflipper
    2 years ago

Get a Pro to install the new drywall. Pro is needed because you want the finished surface floated to be plumb & level - because - if you ever decide to tile that Pro will bless your foresight.

Christie M thanked chiflipper
  • dan1888
    2 years ago

Drywall info-

Christie M thanked dan1888
  • J Sk
    2 years ago

@Tia M, thank You, if You find out, I would appreciate it. Love how it looks in your

• PRO
    X
    2 years ago

Why not just run the granite all the way up to the cabinets, if you need to purchase another slab? If you were to fix the drywall and or add new tile, that would probably eclipse $1500.

• PRO
    X
    2 years ago

Like this

• Tia M
    2 years ago

J Sk - Here it is. I'm going to order some and use it for a mirror install also. It works great.

• Christie M
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Tia, do you recall where you got yiur cabinet hardware?

• Tia M
    2 years ago

Christie M - Pottery barn...also comes in gold and  dark bronze. I have the bronze on an old piece of furniture I wanted to refreshen up. I've been happy with the quality.

Christie M thanked Tia M
  • Christie M
    Original Author
    2 years ago

So, after trying some more tile removal with similar drywall destroying results I will be hiring someone to remove the drywall and replace it. Based on everyone’s feedback, I will be asking if i can get a 1.5-2” backsplash out of the first slab but definitely not paying $1500 more for the 4 inches, not only due to cost but because I like having a longer looking space between the cabinets and the counters. I may ask the installers not to glue down the backsplash so I have some freedom to experiment (and yes, I realize that means caulking myself one way or the other). I appreciate the suggestion to run the quartz up to the cabinets; it’s a good idea, just not my personal style. I will also add knobs and pulls. Thanks for the help! I will post a photo when it is finished.

• MizLizzie
    2 years ago

Good luck. Just want to say I love your cabinets. It is all going to be just beautiful. And FWIW, I vote no quartz splash at all.

Christie M thanked MizLizzie
Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!