Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
margahill

Can this rose kerman rug support midcentury modern furniture?

margahill
10 years ago
Hi,

The fireplace and arched entryways in this room seem perfect for midcentury modern furniture. If I start over by removing the existing pleces, would I also have to replace the rug? Is there anything I could save from the room in its present state that would fit into a midcentury design plan?

Comments (35)

• brendakusan
    10 years ago
    Personally, I feel persian style rugs fit in any decor style, if you feel comfortable mixing it up a bit - a little eclectic. The rest of the furniture has to go, the silhouettes are too traditional for mid-century. Sorry :-) Contents of your bookcases can stay, they just need a better arrangement.
    margahill thanked brendakusan
  • PRO
    7j Design, Ottawa
    10 years ago
    I don't see anything working with Mid-Centry modern. If that is what you should start fresh.
    margahill thanked 7j Design, Ottawa
  • User
    10 years ago
    Another no, start over.
    margahill thanked User
  • User
    10 years ago
    The walls and floor can probably stay. The fireplace, too.
    margahill thanked User
  • PRO
    Terracegallery
    10 years ago
    Start from scratch...
    margahill thanked Terracegallery
  • PRO
    Genoveve Serge Interior Design, CID # 6795
    10 years ago
    Beautiful rug in another setting, not for mid century modern.
    Floral print chair has nice frame, recovered in a white linen or bright solid could work with your plan. All else would have to go.
    Hope that helps,
    Genoveve Serge Interior Design
    margahill thanked Genoveve Serge Interior Design, CID # 6795
  • brendakusan
    10 years ago
    Sorry to disagree with everyone, I think the rug will work in the LR, DR, bedroom, etc. Look at these for inspiration:
    http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/leather-oriental-modern-176669
  • Darzy
    10 years ago
    I agree with most comments that it would be best to scratch the rug. But, brendakusan has a point that with an eclectic style, the rug may work. But, professional help may be needed as it would be very difficult to pull off.
    margahill thanked Darzy
  • User
    10 years ago
    Problem with the rug is it is an Aubusson style which is a traditional old world style with a dominant non-neutral color scheme. No matter what else you do, it will dominate the room. It's not a Persian style like in the Apartment Therapy examples. So as Darzy says it will be hard to pull off without professional help. To give you an idea of how difficult . . . .go to Houzz photos, set it to Living Rooms and "modern" for the style. Then type in Aubusson. Zero Pictures came up. For "Contemporary" I got three pictures and only one had a rug. And for "Traditional ," 28 pictures came up but there is not a stick of mid-century modern furniture among them. if you truly loe the rug, you may be able to work with it, but it will be a challenge!
    margahill thanked User
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    See... I think that if you love midcentury modern and if you love that rug... both will work together in creating a room that reflects your personality.
    margahill thanked Carolina
  • indianpatti
    10 years ago
    It could work, but so many other rugs would look much better.
    margahill thanked indianpatti
  • margahill
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks so much, everyone, for your responses. I am not skilled enough to deal with this rug, so I've decided to replace it. My plan is to reupholster the floral chair with a neutral solid and keep the sofa for now. I think I'll work on finding a new rug that can work with my existing sofa and reupholstered chair, but that could work as a foundation for a modern design later. Thanks so much for your advice!!
  • PRO
    Maison Pompeii Antiques and Interiors
    10 years ago
    This room does not take a pro to do it and yes the rug will work. Firstly as you stated the rug is a kerman known for its large central medallion in a large plain field and elaborate boarder. The rug is what is going to make this room unique rather than it look like everyone elses. The sofa and upsholstered seating needs to go and choose items with a sleeker line upholstered in a color(and it can be a neutral color) from the boarder of the rug. The wooden chair does not appear antique so I would lacquer it a color as well. Some musical elements as accents will pull in the instruments from the far end of the room. At the end of the day the rug gives you a great start and remember that mid century goes all the way to the 70s. Use lucite and chromes etc. possibly a Barcelona style chair. You have so many choices. Good luck!
    margahill thanked Maison Pompeii Antiques and Interiors
  • User
    10 years ago
    Wow Carolins, you nailed it.
  • PRO
    Sandy G. ltd.
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    -- Agree totally with Maison & carolins. It would not take a pro to make this space awesome.

The rug is gorgeous and should stay for sure. If you want to cut the presence of the pink in it, and hide the fact that the medallion will never be centered on the sofa, simply layer a solid or shag rug in a coordinating color over the center of the rug - in front of the sofa.

The problem is everything else. The furniture, accessories and fireplace are what needs to be addressed and in no particular order.

Paint the fireplace a warm gray, leaving the mantle dark. The bookcases and wall over the fireplace could be painted a lighter shade of gray with strict guidelines re: what is placed on the shelves. Only objects/books that are relevant to mid-century decor are allowed. It gets confusing and/or cluttered other wise. Artwork over the fireplace needs to be mid-cent. or musically inspired. Perhaps a black/white print of an iconic musician you admire from the 50s in a black frame. Or enlarged sheet music of a favorite song.

Replace or reupholster the sofa in a light neutral color, chosen from the border of the rug. The style of the sofa is generic and will read as mid-cent. with a modern fabric.

Get a pair of chairs for either side of the fireplace that are decidedly mid-cent., with backs that are taller than the sofa, and upholstered in another color from the border or artwork. Is there an aqua in the border? These chairs could be upholstered in a stripe too - aqua/cream, charcoal/cream, aqua/charcoal, for example. A hit of pattern won't hurt by the fireplace - especially if you choose to use a b/w print over the fireplace.
    margahill thanked Sandy G. ltd.
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    @sjkingston, thanks :-)
  • PRO
    Sandy G. ltd.
    10 years ago
    fabrics/artwork
    margahill thanked Sandy G. ltd.
  • brendakusan
    10 years ago
    Thank you @carolins for that image. I knew it would work! Mid-century does not have to a colourless sea of bland colours. I recall owning vivid oranges,greens, checks. As in Carolins pic, and Sandy's above you need to be bolder in your colour choices to partner with the rug.

Don't get rid of the rug. Replace the sofa first, it is way too traditional for the look you're after.
  • Darzy
    10 years ago
    IMO..the rug doesn't work for a MCM look. For a an eclectic, unique look that fits your personality, yes, the rug can work.
    margahill thanked Darzy
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    I'm glad that my collage shows that your rug could work with midcentury style furniture. Sometimes it helps to see items put together :-)
    I do think however that you can keep your sofa, but if you change both chairs to more sleek lined ones, you'll have a good start towards a more modern look. And more modern lamps would make a difference too.

Good luck.
  • PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    10 years ago
    Some idea how it can work with midcentury.It is cozy and stylish.
    Accessible LEED Residence Living Room · More Info
    margahill thanked Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Coolidge Chair, Lucky Turquoise · More Info

Happy Chic by Jonathan Adler Crescent Heights Tufted Chair, Mushroom · More Info

Everett Upholstered Chair · More Info

Cole Chair · More Info

IKEA STOCKHOLM Coffee table · More Info

Hamptons Floor Lamp · More Info
  • margahill
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I'm definitely inspired by these comments to try working with the rug. It is a great rug and provides a good backdrop to the room. One thing I can do right away is work on the arrangements in the bookshelves. I'll post my attempts when I have time to work on it this weekend. Thanks so much for all of the encouragement and great ideas!
  • PRO
    Sandy G. ltd.
    10 years ago
    -- Anotoher quick thought - you could use an old piano bench for your cocktail table.
  • PRO
    Sandy G. ltd.
    10 years ago
    -- Spot On!

Perfect example of what margahill might think about her space. Absolutely perfect example! Oh, and just happens to be beautiful too! One lesson here is that it's ok - sometimes better - to throw some of those rigid design rules out the window - ending up with spaces that are exciting and fresh! Thank you brendakusan! Thank You!
  • 0825sam
    10 years ago
    margahill - I know this post is a couple of weeks old, but I wanted to add an idea. I think it's great you are going to at least try to work with the rug. here is an idea for layering a flokati over it - just something different that might work with your modern pieces. This room is definitely eclectic, but just imagine more mid century pieces. I borrowed this idea for my own living room where my rug was a bit more traditional than I would have liked (I tend to prefer rugs more similar to the example photos posted above but, like yours, something about mine had more of a traditional vibe).
    El Dorado · More Info
    margahill thanked 0825sam
  • Geneviève
    10 years ago
    Time sure makes us accumulate many treasures that eventually will become a bit overwhelming for us to have and display ,so I will say this to you I like the rug , and the sofa we can work with ,but pretend that you are moving and place all the items in boxes and begin with a clean canvas .
    the rug will stay ,the picture above the fireplace mantel will be on the wall instead , remove those cushions they do not work with the rug , Now let me think:)

Get some new cushions shaggy like , find a new location for the chairs and get 2 new ones ,the ones posted above by Sandy and carolins are perfect and so is that table and lamp ,if you can eventually replace the rug do that the only reason why I didn't say to remove it is because rugs are expensive to replace and a good one will last you a lifetime and then some

http://stylebyemilyhenderson.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/mid-century-living-room.jpg.

something like this one for example

Turquoise Shaggy Pillow · More Info
    margahill thanked Geneviève
  • sondramartina
    10 years ago
    My Persian rug is currently rolled up in the basement, this is old photo. I just wish it did not have that medallion in the middle .So I decided to try to sell it.Tonight I am having a guy who sells oriental rugs coming over to give me an estimate to buy my rug. Wish me luck and good deal.
  • PRO
    Nicole White Designs Interiors LLC
    10 years ago
    Love the rug, especially that pop of pink. It'll work just fine but you definitely need to bring in some key MCM pieces to properly reflect the design style you're trying to achieve.
    margahill thanked Nicole White Designs Interiors LLC
  • Geneviève
    10 years ago
    I love that rug the medallion is screaming "Let me show myself " just imagine placing a round glass table over it < can you see it smiling at you ?
  • Geneviève
    10 years ago
    Another idea would be to paint one wall the same pink as the rug ,it would be an accent wall
    get some new chairs ,

A Re(de)fined Living Space · More Info
  • margahill
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks for the great ideas. They have helped me see my rug in a completely new way. I am now enthused about adding in some MCM elements that allow for some of those fresh colors you all have been posting. Especially that turquoise! I'm focusing on revamping the bookshelves and changing out the art over the fireplace as a start. I think that will help set the tone that I can use to change out furniture pieces.
  • auntqueenie
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

In answering your question about the Rose rug,my answer is No Ma'am. If it weren't so Rosie. Check out www.dotandbo.com