Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rhilb11

Corner tub and countertops

Ryan
2 years ago

Hello all,

We are trying to renovate the master bathroom. We have a corner tub with vanities on each side. The plan is to paint the tub white and get new countertops. The cabinets are already painted white and planning to keep the tile floors to save costs and to match the rest of the house. We also plan to paint the walls but not sure on the color.

I'm struggling to coordinate the will be painted white tub with the floors and countertops. I also I'm not sure what to put around the tub in terms of tiling. Any suggestions?

I attached a photo of the painted cabinet with the floor and the tub.

Comments (22)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

Please rip thay monster out and a painted tub will peel in no time If the tub must stay it is perfect with the floor so leave it alone Paint the cabinets anice dark taupe insted and then the whole space will work I think I need more pics since that vanity looks ridiculous on that big wall

• emilyam819
    2 years ago

Sounds like you have to keep the tub since you are keeping the floor, but I agree not to paint it. Try to get a beige-y countertop to bring it all together. I kind of like the navy blue wall paint.

• felizlady
    2 years ago

You can’t paint the tub whether it is plastic or ceramic….the paint won’t last. I’d replace the tub with a ceramic tub, but when you remove the existing tub, you may discover that you have to replace the flooring, too. Do you actually use the whirlpool? The “vanities” are too small for the usual bathroom storage needs. Don’t think about tile until the bathroom plan has been finalized.

• kandrewspa
    2 years ago

Is that an acrylic tub? The only way I would consider resurfacing it is if you don't plan to use it. Acrylic will flex when used and the new surface will break down pretty quickly if it's used. If you're going to keep the floor you might as well keep the tub the same color.

Do you have a spare piece of floor tile you can take to a tile store and slab yard so that you can look at tile and countertops next to it? If not, start buying tile samples to look at at home and choose a plain countertop so you don't make a big mistake. What type of counter are you considering - granite, marble, quartz? Since the floor is a warm beige, stick with warm colors for the tile and the counters.

Choose the wall color last, after the new tile and counters are installed. There are a lot of possibilities there, but you're probably better off with an off-white that doesn't clash with the white of the cabinets. You'll probably have to try several colors before you hit on the right combination. If you're going to change the lighting, don't look at paint until that's been done. If you like green, buy some green towels to introduce some color. If you don't like green something else will surely work once you have a neutral background.

• Susan
    2 years ago

Please do not waste your money on painting the tub for all of the reasons mentioned above. If your planned updates are limited to just the master bath, better to keep with the current flavor of the house. Look for a budget-friendly vanity…that fills the flanking wall space…in a neutral paint or wood that will coordinate with the tub/floor. Once the vanities are chosen/installed, you can pick out a border tile for the tub. I also think the dark paint (it looks like a dark grey on my screen) looks great. The two corner walls are perfect for some large decor items. I’ll post some vanity options.

• Ryan
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The small vanity in the picture is just for reference there and it would go in a different place. The other vanity would cover the full space.

We don't use the tub and I'm having a contractor to repaint the tub professionally. If we were using the tub, I would replace it.

• Denise Marchand
    2 years ago

I guess no one above lives in LA with so many 1930s bathrooms. Everyone paints the tubs to give it a new fresh look. There are several paints available for acrylic tubs and shower surrounds. Here's an article with a step by step process to enjoy it for years.

How to paint an acrylic bath step-by-step

When it comes to making a bathroom feel like home you need to give it a unique look that fits into your style and that you can call your own. This can be done in a number of ways - from boutique shop accessories to floral patterned wall tiles, you can be as imaginative and quirky as you want, but remember you will see it every single day and certain themes and styles may become stale after a while.

One easy way to get an original, chic bathroom is to give your free-standing acrylic bath a lick of paint on the outside in a colour of your choosing.

By following these easy steps you can give your bathroom a new lease of life without having to strip out any old fixtures or fittings.

Equipment needed

● Acrylic Polymer Paint
    ● Primer
    ● Quality brush / roller
    ● Rough and super-fine sandpaper
    ● Face mask
    ● Pair of gloves
    ● Masking tape
    ● Old newspapers / something to protect the bath and your floor

Step 1.

We begin with preparation. Make sure that you have all of the equipment you need for the job and get the area you are working in ready. Lay down newspapers anywhere paint may drip or splash. Tape up any areas that require finer work being done, i.e. claw feet, the roll top of the tub, etc.

Step 2.

Before starting any work on a bathtub you must ensure that it is clean and dry from top to bottom. This means that less sanding will be needed.

Step 3.

You will need to key the bath to begin with. This entails using a medium grit sandpaper to give the surface of the outer tub a rough feel to the touch, making it porous for the paint to set well. This rough surface gives the primer something to adhere to.

Step 4.

Rinse away any excess dirt from the sanding step with warm water and (if you have it) sugar soap. Leave to dry, ensuring no residue from sanding or washing remains.

Step 5.

Apply a thin layer of primer with either a brush, roller or spray gun. Making sure it is completely even. If you allow the primer to drip, it will appear on the tub after applying the paint. Two or three really thin layers are best, with a light sanding between layers will help get that perfect finish.

Step 6.

When the primer is dry you can begin to paint the tub with acrylic polymer paint. A spray gun would be ideal but again either a quality paint brush or roller will do the job.

Step 7.

Make sure that the first thin layer of paint is dry and then use super-fine sandpaper to make sure that the finish is smooth and without brush marks or streaks. Apply around 3 layers of paint, using super-fine sandpaper after each application but not, however, after the final coat.

Step 8.

Leave the final layer of paint for about 48 hours before using the bathtub. You may want to seal the paint with an aerosol or rub-in sealer but check with the manufacturer first because many sealants may not be suitable for use on acrylic.

There you have it, a bathtub you really can call your own. If you ve painted your tub, why not send in some pictures via our Twitter page? We would love to see them!

Additional tips

Research your paint type. We recommend speaking to the manufacturers of different paint brands to get their recommendations on using paint on acrylic. Remember that paying a little extra for paint here may save you trouble later on in the process.

Acrylic is not generally meant for painting, as colour is normally baked in during the forming process. Although this painting process will give you a great even finish that you’ll be happy with, we don’t expect it’ll be 100% perfect or flawless.

Be bold! Whilst magnolia may look good on your new bath, we think that a pop of colour such as lemon or mint can give your bathroom that look you’ll love for years to come.

• Denise Marchand
    2 years ago

Also you can stencil the floor to tie everything together. Here's a good article:

https://withinthegrove.com/how-to-paint-and-stencil-floor-tile/

• Denise Marchand
    2 years ago

Don't paint the tiles, just stencil with white paint. This will create a subtle pattern to compliment the rest of whatever design you may do.

• sunshine_31
    2 years ago

Don't paint the tub (or floors) no matter what "professional" or website tells you it's ok - it's not. It would be better to remove the tub entirely than to paint it. Work with the existing tub, with a non-white vanity, or buy a new tub. The dark walls work nicely with the current tub. The right accent tile and accessories would really pop. Maybe frame out the mirror.

• HU-168617020
    2 years ago

Paint doesnt last. All of the click bait sites are about the advertising money generated, not professional level advice.

• Denise Marchand
    2 years ago

It's all about finishes and scaling.

1) Paint your bathtub

2) Stencil the tile floor with a white stencil to keep the floor subtle.

3) The wainscot should continue around the room at the same height. White marble or faux marble, sheet or tiles.

4) Beadboard or wallcovering from wainscot to ceiling around tub only.

5) Consider painting the vanities a color, taupe, dark grey or a rich jewel color.

6) Change vanity pulls.

Anthropologie

Anthropologie

Anthropologie

• Olychick
    2 years ago

I, too, would leave the tub the color it is because it goes so well with the flooring that is staying. The outlier with the floor is the white on the cabinet. I'd do as someone suggested and choose an updated color for your vanities that complement the floor and tub colors. If you go with white, it's just going to look like you ran out of $ and couldn't replace the floors. So many great colors to use in cabinets right now that would look fabulous with the tub and floor.

• Verbo
    2 years ago

Repeating bad advice ad naseum doesn’t ever turn it into good advice. Crafty temporary approaches are fine for a cosmetic holdover for few months to a year or so until full demo and redo. They aren’t permanent, and are unethical to try to push off such low quality temporary changes onto any future buyer. It’s like painting over mold to ”hide” it.

• Denise Marchand
    2 years ago

Some call it crafty temporary, some call it artistic imaginative The homeowner obviously has reached out for suggestions from the houzz community if you dont have positive feedback, take it out on your paying clients

• Sigrid
    2 years ago

We had a tub refinished by professionals probably 4 years ago. A bit of the new finish is peeling, not much, but it's there. You can get acrylic liners, that change the color of tubs or showers. I'm sure it's better than painting, but I doubt it will look as good as just replacing the bath. And check out the pricing, since refinishing isn't cheap and the results can be less than great.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    2 years ago

The professionally applied epoxies can give an old tub new life, but not paint.