Shop Products
aaronrosarianzone5b

Which roses are used often to hybridize? Chaucer/Iceberg show up often

Chaucer is an Austin rose that seems to show up in many of the modern and beloved roses. I've also seen Iceberg used quite often.

As an example, Graham Thomas has Chaucer in its ancestry as well as Iceberg, and is a parent for several Guillot Generosas, including Versigny, Sonia Rykiel, Madame Paule Massad, and Martine Guillot, and is a grandparent for Guillot's Paul Bocuse, and Meilland's Princesse Charlene de Monaco and Sweet Mademoiselle (might explain why Sweet Mademoiselle is so tall).

Has anyone else noticed other consistent ancestors to favorite modern roses? I find it interesting how often breeders borrow attributes from one another--or at least from David Austin!

• 2 years ago

Bernstein-Rose

Aaron Rosarian Zone 5b thanked rifis (zone 6b-7a NJ)
  • 2 years ago

I love Bernstein-Rose and have grown three of them since 2007. Good suggestion, rifis. Also, Tamora has been used some and is a parent of Evelyn, for example. And dear Tamora's parentage includes Chaucer, too. I wish I knew more about this subject. Diane

Aaron Rosarian Zone 5b thanked Diane Brakefield
  • 2 years ago

Bernstein-Rose (Amber Rose) is a Tantau.

• 2 years ago

It seems like Austin used Chaucer quite a lot in his breeding program. Several of his 80s introductions were descended from him. He has always said the breeding information for Fair Bianca was lost, but given her introduction date, and form and fragrance, I have a feeling Chaucer was one of her parents as well.

Aaron Rosarian Zone 5b thanked User
  • 2 years ago

How about Carefree Beauty?

I still remember getting a Greenhouse Product News in the mail in late 1999. In the back there was a small section entitled ”upcoming introductions” or something similiar. There was a blurb about a new rose with alleged excellent BS resistance. ”EIGHT parents!”, the article said. The only one named was Carefree Beauty. I had planted a CB earlier - that spring. It did well; I was still using a spray regimen back then. It was at a time when rabbits/midge/deer were not yet problems for me, but blackspot did major damage. So the following spring, when I saw this new introduction offered BR from an upstate NY mail order nursery ( which I think was later acquired by Stark Bros), I bought it. I still have it (along with the same Carefree Beauty). I cut it down to three inches from the ground every March.

Though I don’t know for sure, I bet CB has been used a lot in creating new roses.

• 2 years ago

I believe Trier was used a lot to produce the early hybrid musks.

Aaron Rosarian Zone 5b thanked chris209 (LI, NY Z7a)
  • 2 years ago

I recall D. Austin Sr. used Aloha for many of his ealier crosses. I can believe it. New Dawn has quite a few progeny also.

Aaron Rosarian Zone 5b thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • 2 years ago

I don't know about favorites but multiflora rose in its ancestry means that it will probably grow here.

Aaron Rosarian Zone 5b thanked Kes Z 7a E Tn
  • 2 years ago

Hi Aaron,

Perhaps you've already seen this, but in this article David Austin describes all the roses he used for hybridizing in the early days:

https://historicroses.org/the-character-of-the-english-rose-by-david-austin/

Aaron Rosarian Zone 5b thanked seasiderooftop
  • 2 years ago

a parent to many ramblers or climbers it the semi-evergreen Rosa wichuraiana, her kids among others are

New Dawn

Auguste Gervais

which inherited the green shiny foliage

Aaron Rosarian Zone 5b thanked linaria_gw
  • 2 years ago

Zorina, Dr. AJ Verhage, Playboy to name a few.

Aaron Rosarian Zone 5b thanked hugogurll
  • 2 years ago

When I first started loving roses, I collected the descendants of Charlotte Armstrong because of the fragrance. Also the descendants of sterling silver.

• 2 years ago

Good DA article, Aaron. Thanks for the link.

It would be nice if houses like Meilland and Kordes wrote up something similiar.