Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roxanna_gw

What are the chances...?

roxanna
2 years ago

...of being able to get decent results using rapid-rise yeast past the best-by date? I mean, REALLY past -- I found several packets hidden in the back of the refrigerator today, dated 23 March 2021. Yikes! They have been in the fridge from the day of purchase. Should I risk trying them, or just pitch out??

Comments (10)

• foodonastump
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I’d probably toss it. A packet of yeast costs about 65¢; what would be the cost of the flour and any other ingredients should it fail?

But maybe the right answer is to proof it? Put it in the warm water and if it foams up after a bit you’re good before continuing?

roxanna thanked foodonastump
  • annie1992
    2 years ago

I agree, it most probably is just fine. I keep a quart jar in my refrigerator full of yeast, the rest stays in the freezer. I usually use up that quart within a year, but sometimes it takes a little longer. Mine is always fine and works.

I'd just proof it, as mentioned above, that way you will be sure. Then bake away!

Annie

roxanna thanked annie1992
  • roxanna
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you both so much -- my frugal Yankee heart was not thrilled with tossing it if there were any chance to use it! Proofing sounds sensible, so I shall try that. I appreciate your help!

• roxanna
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you Annie! Good tip about th* freezer, I never thought of that. =)

• Lars
    2 years ago

I store all of my yeast in the freezer, and I buy it by the pound. If you are a frugal Yankee, you might find that this is the most economical way to buy and use yeast. For myself, I am somewhat less concerned about the cost than I am about always having plenty of yeast on hand, and in the beginning of the pandemic, it was difficult to find and more expensive.

roxanna thanked Lars
  • Jasdip
    2 years ago

I buy the Red Star yeast at Costco. By far the best yeast I've ever used. I keep it in the freezer with a small jar in the cupboard to use.

roxanna thanked Jasdip
  • foodonastump
    2 years ago

^^^ me too except i keep the jar in the freezer as well. Costco’s 2 pound bags are ridiculous but very cost effective even if you use little of it.

roxanna thanked foodonastump
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    2 years ago

Mine stays in the fridge - in the door. It usually lasts a long time. Proofing is definitely the best way to find out if it's still good.

roxanna thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • lindac92
    2 years ago

If your yeast isn't as active as you would wish, your bread will take longer to rise....and likely have a better flavor. Lots of bread recipes call for not much more than a pinch of yeast and a long rise. I bought a lot of yeast at the beginning of the pandemic, Maybe April of 2020, I keep a jar in my refrig and the big package in the freezer. Still using it....still works. Haven't looked at the date on the package but I'll bet it's well more than a year out of date!

And I never proof my yeast....well almost never, I do when making a rich Brioche.

roxanna thanked lindac92