Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
venexiano

White paint for brightness and making Champagne-finished oak pop-up

venexiano
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hi, in a few weeks I get delivered my 8" white oak by OakAndBroad. You can see here an install of that wood, it is the Champagne finish. I want to brighten the space up as much as possible, there is some natural light but not as much as I would like. I wanted to paint the walls white, but which undertone would both make the house super bright and make the wood pop out? For instance, the wall paint in the install I linked above is too dark for my taste. Brand names of paint are welcome. Here is a short video of my house if you'd like to watch it, it still has the carpet. Walls are so dark.

Comments (6)

• kandrewspa
    2 years ago

My favorite warm white from BM is Simply White. Alabaster from SW is a favorite of many people on this site. Be aware that BM has an Alabaster, but it is not the same color as SW's. After your floors are installed you can start sampling colors. No one can really tell you what color will work in your home. No one's lighting is the same and colors aren't true on monitors. BM and SW both have good websites that might help you choose a couple more colors to get started with. There is a BM store with a color consultant near me. You might be able to find one near you if you need more help. They will come out to your house for a very minimal fee.

If you were hoping to paint before your floors are installed bring home the sample board of the flooring if you can get one. If you ordered the flooring online and that's not possible, you should wait until you get an actual piece of the flooring to look at next to samples. There is no substitute for the real thing.

• venexiano
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Ok so I am narrowing down my choices. I know that I want a very modern look in a house with not too much light. This is the rift and quartered white oak flooring with Champagne stain I bought. I wanna paint both walls and trims (the latter glossier) with one of these:

1) Chantilly lace by BM (warm white but no undertone: LRV=92)

2 )Simply White by BM (more yellow undertone than Chantilly Lace: LRV= 91)

3) Extra White by SW (LRV=86, slightly cool undertone)

4) High Reflective white by SW (LRV= 93, people say warmer than Chantilly Lace)

Which one do you suggest? Questions are:

1) Is there an undertone of white that makes a house feel more modern?

2) I have some blue furniture, and the felt of the pool table is blue. Should I go for a less warm color like Extra white?

3) Isn't a less warm color such as Extra white gonna make the wood pop up?

4) Should i go for Chantilly Lace (LRV=92) to maximize brightness in the house?

Here is a picture with the Simply white and Extra white next to the Champagne plank. Still waiting for the brighter samples (Chantelly and High Reflective).

• apple_pie_order
    2 years ago

Try uploading some photos. Many people will not click on external links or watch videos.

• venexiano
    Original Author
    2 years ago

If you hold the mouse without clicking you see on the bottom the address (on Chrome). IT is a houzz link. This one: https://www.houzz.com/hznb/projects/select-grade-rift-and-quartered-white-oak-wood-flooring-pj-vj~6245078

Here is the pic if you don't prefer not to click:

• HU-930039818
    2 years ago

Would love it if you could post some photos of your new floor once it’s installed and your walls are painted. It sounds like it will be really nice!

• HU-930039818
    last year

Have you installed your floors yet? How do you like them?