Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_131230266

Ceiling Molding Trim - HELP!

HU-131230266
2 years ago

Need your expert help please!!

Just re-did our cabinets, and the doors cannot open all the way due to our existing ceiling molding.

Should we take the molding off completely (it’s on the entire ceiling of the whole house 8’ ceilings with open floor plan), OR should we change this existing thicker molding out for one of these thinner moldings (see picture - probably half the size of our existing molding)? Thoughts?

Comments (21)

• JP L
    2 years ago

Why not retrim/fit that single cabinet door so that the opening is lower and can work with the existing molding? Two widths of molding will look odd.

• jackowskib
    2 years ago

See what pros have to say, but my first thought would be to look at putting a decorative square trim at each end above cabinet just to run the smaller trim above to set off cabinet. Then continue with your main trim. Good luck!

• PRO
    Top Drawer Carpentry LLC
    2 years ago

You don't have crown on the tile wall or over these glass door cabinets. Why do you need it here?

• HU-131230266
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@JP L Thanks. We have two bookshelves cabinets that box in the fireplace, and I’d rather have them go up to the ceiling symmetrically. I wouldn’t have two widths of molding - I would either get rid of ALL the molding, OR get the same smaller width molding for the whole house. Would smaller width molding around the whole house look weird, and would the house with 8’ ceilings look better without molding?

• HU-131230266
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@jackowskib Thanks. What is a “decorative square trim”?

• HU-131230266
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Top Drawer Carpentry LLC You’re right - no crown molding over the new tile tile all for fireplace and the rest of this whole wall is covered with glass cabinets and two bookshelves. We didn’t put crown over this whole wall due to the ceiling-to-floor cabinets. So, are you recommending/suggesting to take off the crown molding to the rest of the house since there is no crown over this tile/bookshelf wall?

• HU-131230266
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Top Drawer Carpentry LLC It is also my understanding that crown help make ceilings look higher because it draws the eye there - is this true?

• Sammie J
    2 years ago

I would use existing molding (that is in all of the rooms) and get a triangle corner piece to finish the walls in question.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

no one questioned the existing crown during the design phase of those cabs? the doors should have been made a few inches shorter and crown put above those, or, the existing crown should have been removed.

Can't see the whole room so can't say if I think it should stay.

it appears to be a tad large and ornate for the current style though. what do you think?

HU-131230266 thanked Beth H. :
  • HU-131230266
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Beth No one did, ugh! You’re right though - the ceiling crown molding is a tad large and ornate for our home and for this new current shaker style kitchen cabinets that we just installed, and these shaker style dining room cabinets and living room bookshelves. Do you suggest getting rid of the crown altogether? I always thought the crown made the house look more “put together” or make the short 8’ ceilings look taller..

• HU-131230266
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Sammie J You would leave the existing molding to go as close as possible to the door, and then close it off with a triangle corner piece? Wouldn’t it look weird if the molding didn’t go all the way to the corner of the wall? That’s why I’m considering re-doing the crown molding to the smaller width one, or just getting rid of all the crown molding in all the rooms (ie living, dining, kitchen and family rooms).

• PRO
    Top Drawer Carpentry LLC
    2 years ago

since two designers agreed with my comment I would have to say, yes, remove it. And I have seen Kristin Petro's work. Hard to argue. As for the comment on adding a cornice block to this and terminating the crown before the door hit it, do not. This will only highlight the fact that this was not considered beforehand

HU-131230266 thanked Top Drawer Carpentry LLC
  • Tanya
    2 years ago

What are the lines on the wall and ceiling where the larger trim was removed? Just know if you remove it all you will have to address that all the way around the room.

• HU-131230266
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Kristin Petro Interiors, Inc.Thank you for your expert advice!! That makes total sense. I thought that having crown molding makes the ceiling look higher or the house more luxurious - now, I see that I was completely wrong, lol!

Okay, we will take off the crown molding from the open space in order to match our new asethetic!

Also, we have crown molding in each bathroom and bedrooms - would you suugest we leave them there since it matches with the asthetic of those rooms, and nothing new happened to the walls?

• HU-131230266
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Top Drawer Carpentry LLC I agree. Yes, terminating the crown before it goes to the end of the wall looks unbearable for me! That is exactly why my question was to either remove the crown molding overall or change it to a smaller crown. Thank you!

• HU-131230266
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Tanya Those lines are where our molding was ripped off. Of course we would paint the walls and re-do the whole crown. My question was should I remove the existing crown, or add a small crown. Looks like the pros are saying that I need to remove it overall

• jackowskib
    2 years ago

I think you baseboard moulding is a nice height and makes a nice clean look that shouldn’t need a crown too. In our last home with 8 ft ceiling we had a smaller crown then added another pretty 1” trim 6” in on the ceiling around the living room. Really enhanced the space.

• HU-131230266
    Original Author
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

@Kristin Petro Interiors, Inc. How about a thin, clean trim molding that matches the cabinets and our new aesthetic like the picture attached?

• PRO
    Kristin Petro Interiors, Inc.
    2 years ago

Definitely not. The scale could look cheap in your space compared to your substantial baseboard. There are plenty of beautiful rooms without crown. Do not feel you have to add it just for the sake of it.

HU-131230266 thanked Kristin Petro Interiors, Inc.
  • Ruth
    2 years ago

I vote for smaller crown. Makes the room look more finished