Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michael_davy45

Our one bath restoration and the HD bucket we speak of no more.

Farley McDougal
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

The wife and I live in a simple place. I've had people tell me, "What a nice, starter home," and while I don't quite understand what they mean, I'm pretty sure we will fall out touch soon.

I'm really bad at taking before photos. Cell phone progress photos, yes (mostly so I can remember how things go back together or to text friends the image for help), but no befores. Luckily I did save the old realty photos so I enjoy side by siding those at the end of a project.

Our house is from the 40's but seems to rely heavily on 20's interior creation: coved ceilings, pretty archways, etc. The only thing that had been updated was the bathroom- in the 90's and I'll say "on a tiny budget," as an insult, but will then tote that word as a good thing later in this thread. But for now, I'll just copy and paste my Facebook post on this project to save a little writing time and you'll never be the wiser.

First off some thanks in order since most of this stuff was new. The wife who encourages me to do projects and kept me a little saner; The tools and knowledge borrowed from the older fellas ; People that helped move heavy things; My sponsors: craigslist, offerup, covid, and that one time I accidentally clicked on pinterest when the wife was out of town; Any man in my life that put a tool in my hand, let me watch over a shoulder, etc (don't make that weird); And the mother who pushed new experiences and also gave me my first tool set, which I'm still confused to this day why it was pink (wrenches still in my box).

Everything got rearranged in the room besides the window that's still in position and the toilet (except for that one week - thanks to another sponsor, Home Depot and your big orange buckets). We were even able to save and lift the original ceiling arch after much brainstorming with Steve (you don't know him).

Finally photos:

After

Before (with huge black tiles)

Before

After

What's that weird cabinet?

Save the arch, save the top of my head.

*note fire extinguisher

Everything was done on our tiny budget like the beadboard wallpaper (shhh), and lots of online marketplace pre-collecting, then reselling parts I didn't need. Almost everything was done in labor myself. The wife helped greatly with the floor, and I think I mentioned, Steve's help (I told you already, you don't know him. It doesn't matter what his last name is). Plenty of things went right, some things are probably still wrong (but very well hidden), and others, like a couple tile shifts that I will always see and harp on from my now non-orange throne are things nobody else even notices.

Comments (43)

• Linda Dornan
    2 years ago

Outstanding job with beautiful results! And A+ on the storytelling

Farley McDougal thanked Linda Dornan
  • ptreckel
    2 years ago

Bravo! And…I am especially impressed with how you raised the arch and retained the beauty and the “feel” of the 1920s in your bathroom. Fabulous job! And remember…nothing is perfect. Some people actually build in a subtle flaw to demonstrate that they are not perfect (think Amish quilts!)…so, that tile glitch is simply your way of admitting that you aren’t quite perfect! (But almost! ;>)

• lisaam
    2 years ago

amazing work and very enjoyable writing. love the way you strapped and saved the tub ceiling during demo.

I’m especially impressed with those willing to dig deep on the sourcing part of a project.

• felizlady
    2 years ago

It looks great! Congratulations to you and Steve. I hope you packed the open wall with insulation. Any mis-positioned floor tiles can be hidden with some nice washable bathroom rugs.

• judeslou
    2 years ago

Outstanding!!

• jackowskib
    2 years ago

Beautiful job!

• smalloldhouse_gw
    2 years ago

Steve's a genius! And the end result is beautiful!

• Stacey
    2 years ago

You’re a cool dude Farley! Love your story and your bathroom!

• KW PNW Z8
    2 years ago

Farley, Truly a stunning make over! What a good job saving that arch and what a clever guy you are to have thought to attempt that….or was that another project ”the wife” thought up for you? Your remodel story made me laugh out loud - your talents obviously include more than knowing how to use tools! Thanks for sharing.

• beeboo22
    2 years ago

This is lovely. Great job!

• Ruth House
    2 years ago

I love your new bathroom and the narrative that accompanied it, thank you!

• chiefy
    2 years ago

Wow!
    What an impressive transformation where it’s obviously new but still keeps the vintage charm. Beautiful bathroom and great story telling.

• cwcf185
    2 years ago

Looks wonderful - congratulations!

• Farley McDougal
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks gals and guys. It was a new experience working on the inside of the investment nest. I have come to the realization that I'm restoring not renovating so new is not what I'm after. That eases the tension of imperfection that generally sends me over the edge (well at least keeping it at bay no longer than a week or so).

Thanks Jinx for the gift, lol.

Pteckel, We realized how important it was to save that arch. It was made with lath behind the plaster and we had a heck of a time trying to figure out the save. In the end I think Steve and stood on things and pushed while tightening the straps but then had to literally use our heads to push and lift with. It was a scene.

feizlady, I remember stuffing the exterior but I'd have to go back through pics to see if I did the interior.

Thanks KW. My head was already pushing the limits with the old tub. So yes to beauty but also to form. Also, it took forever to source an extra pipe riser for my shower set up. I finally struck gold on an old man treasure hunt as an elderly customer of HD, sent me on a pilgrimage from one obscure place, who told me of another, who told me of another, etc, until I finally ended up at a back-room Restaurant Depot parts guru's desk and he found the part for me.

Thanks muchly for the compliments. This project just fueled my obsessions with the house as I tackled the kitchen next.

• Jilly
    2 years ago

Ooo, can’t wait for a kitchen thread! Can we get a peek here? :D

• KW PNW Z8
    2 years ago

I’m with @Jilly - can’t wait for kitchen restoring thread to begin! I also agree with you that really old houses are mostly treasures to be restored vs renovated. Will you again have assistance from that friend Steve (who we don’t know, so we shouldn’t care what his last name is)?

Farley McDougal thanked KW PNW Z8
  • Farley McDougal
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Jinx All I can say is that I used Houzz quite a bit to research marmoleum.

• Nancy in Mich
    2 years ago

Ahh, I will have to go visit my old Marmoleum threads!

I, too, love your new vintage bathroom and writing style. Thanks for the trip!

I tried the Craigslist hunt for bathroom materials. I did get a great deal on some Carrara marble trim, some of which we even used. But I had to re-sell vanity #1. Vanity possibility #2 now holds bed linens in the extra bedroom. Vanity possibility #3 sits in the garage, half refinished, needing paint and new knob holes to be drilled. It is a woman’s vanity that would be great in your house. Want it? I ended up designing a modern vanity and had my contractor guy build it for me. That is my experience trying to source things that were gently used. I learned that one should not settle for “good enough” when doing this, because you may later decide that it really isn’t!

• PRO
    MDLN
    2 years ago

Wow, great job!

Farley McDougal thanked MDLN
  • kculbers
    2 years ago

Lovely!!

• Pam
    2 years ago

Loved your professional explanation and the great transformation.

Steve seems like a handy guy, the likes of which are worth their weight in gold. Is he single? Asking for a friend (you don't know her. It doesn't matter what her name is).

• Jilly
    2 years ago

Did he say marmoleum?! Because I might faint.

Now I want Steve to be single so we can introduce him to Pam. I mean, Pam’s friend!

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

What a fabulous story- and restoration! Having lived in a 1920’s beauty myself, I understand the wish to update but retain the house’s uniqueness. You did a FABULOUS job. And your storytelling skills match your determination to do right by your house — and your wife. Bravo to Steve as well. Thanks for sharing your photos and story. Awaiting the Kitchen Chapter!

Farley McDougal thanked RedRyder
  • Kendrah
    2 years ago

What a massive undertaking. It is gorgeous. So nice to see a bathroom with real character and personality, not just another cookie cutter. Very, very nice.

Farley McDougal thanked Kendrah
  • sueb1961
    2 years ago

Transforming an old stereo cabinet into a beautiful one of a kind cabinet for over the toilet was genius!! Its a rare person who has the vision! So much better than something from a big box store, bravo!

• PRO
    PRM Custom Builders
    2 years ago

Beautiful!

• shwshw
    2 years ago

Love your style

• la_la Girl
    2 years ago

We are in the middle of a similiar gut re-do - what a lovely job you did! thank you for sharing - it is helping me realize we will get through ours at some point… enjoy your new space!!

• PRO
    Badeloft
    2 years ago

wow what a great difference!

• Farley McDougal
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Pam lol all over the place. Unfortunately for many, Mr. X is taken.

@sueb1961 Thanks, glad you appreciated it. I needed a little challenge that was cheap and unique.

@la_la Girl Get after it! Did you know that some employers offer couples counseling services for free?

• PRO
    OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
    2 years ago

Gorgeous!

• arcy_gw
    2 years ago

Congratulations!! Fabulous job!

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    2 years ago

What a great post. Loved the story and the outcome. Waiting for a kitchen update...

Farley McDougal thanked Anna (6B/7A in MD)
  • PRO
    Norwood Architects
    2 years ago

Love the vintage style! Especially love the black and white tile flooring.

• Farley McDougal
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks peoples. After a year, it's still my favorite room to poop in.

Oh yeah, the kitchen... I'm still waiting for pinterest to get back to me and come take photos so I can claim all my free stuff.

Sorry, off topic, but wouldja just look at this huge egg that Barb'e laid yesterday compared to Char's.

Also, I thought the speckles on Chops' egg were cool when held up to the light.

Again, sorry. Just a proud Chicken daddy I guess.

• Jeff Meeks
    2 years ago

I think this looks amazing. I love the style and the curved ceiling above the bath is a triumph. However, I think the freestanding tub in the alcove was a mistake. It looks good, but it's a poor use of space, will be a pain to clean around and the shower curtain set up would really annoy me. A simple cast iron alcove tub and a curtain on a straight rod would have been a better solution IMO.

• Jilly
    2 years ago

Which came first, the kitchen or the egg?

I’m here all week, folks!

Thanks, I’ll see myself out …

• User
    last year

Farley, you’re a true craftsman, full of heart and appreciation for the original work. Restoration work is rare compared to the typical “gut job” involving new everything. How nice you shared this for all of us to enjoy.

Farley McDougal thanked User
  • PRO
    FrameMyMirror
    last year

Looks great!

Farley McDougal thanked FrameMyMirror
  • cpartist
    last year

Beautiful job and great on keeping the charm of the house.

Farley McDougal thanked cpartist
  • PJrocks Benoit
    last year

Superb!

Farley McDougal thanked PJrocks Benoit
  • PRO
    McGuire + Co. Kitchen & Bath
    last year

Beautiful! I love how you did the arch over the tub/shower!

Farley McDougal thanked McGuire + Co. Kitchen & Bath