Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilse_braun

lighting help- chandelier with recessed?

Ilse Gagnaire
2 years ago

We moved in in August and this living room has no overhead lighting. We talked to someone at a design store who said a 24 inch alabaster bowl would work great in here, but I’m not sure if we need some recessed lighting as well or if anyone has recommendations for a different chandelier. We are going to be taking the columns out but leave the header.

Comments (38)

• kandrewspa
    2 years ago

It's expensive to add ceiling fixtures after construction. I think a central fixture would be enough if you add more lighting around your seating area - floor lamps and/or table lamps. If you really like ceiling lights, ask an electrical contractor to give you a quote for a couple options and then you can decide whether it's worth it to you.

• Ilse Gagnaire
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Yeah- we are getting other lighting installed through out the house….so not as much on concerned about cost… more just worried about having enough but not too much.

• P Banos
    2 years ago

If they are on dimmers too much won't be a problem. I don't use the two recessed lights in my living room, but I have two chandeliers and two floor lamps that I do use.

• T T
    2 years ago

If cost isn't a major driver,  I would recommend 4 recessed lights with a larger chandelier or ceiling fan light in the center.  You won't regret having more lighting avaiable.  We tend to use our recessed lights all the time,  and turn on the center light occasionally as well.

• stellarceline
    2 years ago

Agreed, 4 small LED can lights and a central fixture, 2 separate switches and both with dimmers.

• Ilse Gagnaire
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The room dimensions are 12.9x15. Is a 24” alabaster bowl a good size?

• everdebz
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

A thought - if pillars are removed, will you like the "missing verticals" that they are? The sconces could be vertical and not those...

Eaton Hammered Wall Sconce, Antique Gold · More Info

9 Inch Tall 1 Light Wall Sconce, White Gold · More Info

• Ilse Gagnaire
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@everdebz- I have not liked the pillars since we have moved in… and definitely do not like the sconces that are on them. They don’t really go with the style of our home, and they aren’t load bearing.

• everdebz
    2 years ago

Removing sconces - does that incline you toward recessed? I'd leave 'em.

Z-Lite 1-Light Up Lighting Wall Sconce, Antique Pewter · More Info

• Ilse Gagnaire
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The columns are going, as are the sconces…

• everdebz
    2 years ago

I know you haven't asked - but as to how lighting looks, and size of bowl might be a bit small- have you considered removing a low wainscoting, which seems 'off' with window, etc..?

Next room has ceiling molding ...

• Ilse Gagnaire
    Original Author
    2 years ago

We are taking off the ceiling molding….

• Ilse Gagnaire
    Original Author
    2 years ago

And for now the wainscoting is going to stay. Our big projects this year are lighting and flooring- possibly painting as well.

• territheresa
    2 years ago

​​​I can't stand our recessed lights and never use them even though they're dimmable. If you do install them, I read an article here to place them near to the walls. Too late for me but not you. They throw a pretty light down the wall that way. Much the way a sconce would since you dont want sconces but still need light.

• Shasta
    2 years ago

I have 3 recessed lights over my couch (dimmable) which are useful when we want to read or look at something together on the couch like when we have people over for book club. In all other situations, I use a floor and table lamp and the lighting is sufficient and more pleasant for conversing. I like having the option.

• everdebz
    2 years ago

Ilse, I was posting more sconces as I watched tv, so I didn't see your post. If honest... anyone else? think the wainscoting doesn't suit furniture, etc... "sorry" !

how the window 'cuts into it'...

• Ilse Gagnaire
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I would agree… it’s not my favorite. 🤣

• everdebz
    2 years ago

I aim to help - if painting possibly you said - remove, drywall repair, paint it! :)

• Gloria H.
    2 years ago

Columns are hot right now. Just saying….

• Ilse Gagnaire
    Original Author
    2 years ago

But we want something that works with our style- and columns don’t…

• everdebz
    2 years ago

Ilse, I read it, and believe you. :) We say things from a very different view of course. So, if you want to respond- I'll offer my idea for adding something of your look, like large canvas art... instead of subtracting.

• Ilse Gagnaire
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I would love ideas… but the columns and wainscoting have to go!

• Ilse Gagnaire
    Original Author
    2 years ago

That is our formal living room. We don’t use it a ton, mainly because we have two small kids and…. Covid.

• felizlady
    2 years ago

First question…is there a hidden outlet in the ceiling? Get an estimate to put one in if needed..otherwise, you may be limited to floor lamps and table lamps. The one table lamp is fairly squat..a taller lamp would be better. A combination of better lighting, some artwork and window treatments will bring in color into the room and give it more life.

• everdebz
    2 years ago

Ok. Make art subject as large as the window is long... not delicate... but are you planning anything for roman shade or other?

Adam Burton 'Half Dome from Olmsted' Canvas Art, 47"x30" · More Info

• everdebz
    2 years ago

or....

Designart Rain Abstract Panel Modern Framed Canvas Art, Gold, 46x36 · More Info

Designart a Woodland Walk Into The Forest Iii Painting Print, Gold, 46x36 · More Info

Designart Fire And Ice Minerals Iv Farmhouse Framed Artwork, White, 46x36 · More Info

• everdebz
    2 years ago

Large square and with floor lamp in the corner, to fill in height.

Uttermost 41907 Muted Silhouette Canvas Art · More Info

Brown Wood Industrial Floor Lamp, 61" x 25" x 25" · More Info

• everdebz
    2 years ago

I'd like to see photoshop of 2 or 3 pieces of art - taller at the right, to make a step down from window, etc...

• everdebz
    2 years ago

Shade Abstract II Painting, Multicolor · More Info

Safavieh Lyell 60" High Floor Lamp · More Info

Abstract Modern Canvas Painting Contemporary Fine Art Giclee, ELOISExxx · More Info

• Ilse Gagnaire
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I love these, especially the tree print and the last print…. Do you have sources for the lamps and the two prints that I mentioned? When we moved into the house, I realize that I loved the bones of the house and the layout, but not necessarily the things that were currently in the house. So we have plans down the road to update the windows and the paint.

• everdebz
    2 years ago

Ilse, below product photo, you click "more info" and you're still on houzz.com... can read and buy it. There are tempting/ helpful photos for more products if you keep going. :)

With only 1 window on that wall, maybe you'd like an irregularly shaped piece, of metal work, etc... just posting what I might like:

Modern Multi Colored Metal Wall Decor 92140 · More Info

Contemporary Multi Colored Metal Wall Decor 23488 · More Info

• everdebz
    2 years ago

If you want to strengthen look of capiz/ glass lamp, could go subtle metal?

Modernist Botanical Wall Decor · More Info

• everdebz
    2 years ago

Course, has no shine at all -

Stratton Home Decor Asheville Textured Plates Wall Decor · More Info

• everdebz
    2 years ago

Are you near water - seeing your seahorses...35 3/4" x 14 3/4"

Danya B School of Fish Modern Metal Wall Art - Sliver & Blue · More Info

29 x 23"

Sea Turtle Wall Decor Group Of Five · More Info

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    2 years ago

4 recessed lights, one center light. no alabaster bowl it will do nothing but light the ceiling, and alabaster had a place just not here it will look dated... lord help me with whomever said that.

You need art behind the sofa to fill some void,

Now if this is a tv room, overhead lighting might not really be that important, and some scaled lamps may do you better the room is not that large.

• Ilse Gagnaire
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I love it! I have been very hesitant about the alabaster bowl… plus it $2000 - it’s not a tv room. If we don’t do a center light should we still do just 4?

• everdebz
    2 years ago

I think many have layered lighting in a living room, enough to 'get by' fine - without recessed I mean. Do you have plans for maybe.. 3 lamps... ?