Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurie_beadle

staircase dimensions

Laurie Beadle
10 years ago
i love this open-look staircase. could you tell me how much space i would need to accomplish this look. (basically how far out from wall for first stringer then over to left for 2nd rise)...does that make sense? please help, limitted on space and this might just work
lakeside guest house · More Info

Comments (4)

• PRO
    Interior Changes home design & consulting
    10 years ago
    There are several factors that change the answer to your question: the height of the second floor ( determines the number of stairs), the rise and the run of each step ( in this case 7 and 10), the width of the stair case ( generally 3' wide but often wider and seldom narrower), and the housing code in your area. In this situation we did not have room for a landing and so we went with a winder in order to accomplish the proper landing at the top of the stairs before entering the upper vestibule. *This staircase began 7'5" out into the room and used another 6'3" for the turn length, including the winder.
  • Laurie Beadle
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    thank you so much for your quick response. I was judging the height in relation to window/door height so guessing we're about the same on that measurement. Is the first run 7.5 out from wall or 7.5 + the 3' wide for winder (so essentially 10.5 out from wall)? I appreciate all your help and do realize all staircases are custom to calculation but this lets me plan if i actually have the floor blueprint to "Move" my current very narrow straight stair.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    The full depth from the wall, including the turn of the winder is 7.5" Then the full length of the turn, again including the winder, is 6.3"
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    If this were a straight run it would have taken 10'8" to accomplish. I hope that helps :)
    Laurie Beadle thanked Interior Changes home design & consulting