Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joe_walter42

shrubs for shaded area on Long Island?

Joe Walter
2 years ago

Hello all, hoping you can help. I live in Long Island, NY, and my house faces north, and so the front garden really only gets evening sun. I’ve dropped below two pictures, the first of my house and the current landscape and the second of a nearby house facing the same way with landscaping that I find to be beautiful.

I would love my landscaping to resemble theirs but I have no idea what they’re shrubs are. I know little about landscaping in general in fact, other than I have trouble doing it well.

I have three azaleas out front that I was told do well in shade but they were full when I bought them but have never thrived since. My hinoki’s and those tall light green bushes have done well but they were here when we moved in and is probably why I haven’t ruined them.

I tried going to a few professional landscaping places but they are all confusing to me. One place tells me boxwoods will do good there and the other says no. One tells me limelight hydrangeas, which my wife wants, will do fine there and another says no way.

Does anyone have suggestions? Can anyone make out what type of plants are in the second home’s photo. Do I need to do anything to the soil to make it healthier. Can I transplant anything from here to move it around. My budget is decent so I don’t mind ripping things here out and putting in new things - I just want it to look really nice. Thank you.

Comments (5)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

note int eh second pic ... how little shade there actually is in front of that north facing house..

as such.. there is no reason to use shade plants ... and that might be why your As are struggling ... and even then.. its probably a lack of proper water in sun.. rather than a shade issue ....

read this thru a couple dozen times.. note section one.. TIMING ... if that first pic shows your plants in bloom .. its probably not time to move them ... that would be fall .. unless you just dont care if you lose them ...

what are the two tall flowering trees.. i cant ID them at 50 feet ...

and do keep in mind.. the second guy.. bumped out his portico .. or whatever you call that roof over the porch.. and that architectural element is part of what makes that house pop ...

also .. you appear to have a lot of lawn out there.. do you use it for anything ... you probably need to come out 10 or 20 feet for some nice shrubs or shade trees ... this will help soften the linear garden bed at your foundation ..

and keep in mind.. foundation plantings are planted to hide the foundation.. not on the foundation ... part of the problem with yours.. as it is now.. is you have plants that are TOO tall for how shallow the bed it ... it looks like there were all jammed in there as babes.. with no idea how big they would get ... so moving them out.. would be great.. but dont replace them and create the same problem 5 or 10 years down the line ...

good luck

ken

https://sites.google.com/site/tnarboretum/Home/planting-a-tree-or-shrub

• Sheri Williams
    last year

what town are you in? there is a little nursery in

northport giancarlos- so unlike hicks in hoity toity edness, i think they will come out to you if you are in the area. lol too bad i am in michigan, i do large scale landscaping and design. i love front house designing. just a note- pant your shrubs etc at least 5 feet away from your house!

• l pinkmountain
    last year

I just got back from the local nurseries, plants are super expensive, so I would give you a couple of additional pointers added on to the excellent ones already posted.

An attractive plant assemblage has something called "year round interest." That helps your landscape from looking fabulous during one season and "blah" for the other three, which is what you will have in LI. Also, it's key to having your plantings look good to remember success is largely due to "right plant, right place." Plants have idea soil and light and moisture requirements, as well as space and they get along better with some plant neighbors than others. So spend some time observing your front foundation area and figure out how much sun and shade you actually get. There's a big difference between full shade and partial shade as far as what will grow and give you some color. Also, a mix of evergreen and perennial shrubs plus some with interesting bark will assure that your plants have some "winter interest" which is the toughest.

The biggest problem I can see with your current landscaping is you have some kind of small tree or big shrub right in front of the bay window, so that you can't see out and its beautiful form cannot be appreciated from the street. I'd hack that thing down without remorse because you have another one next to it anyway.

You have what appears to be a blue bird's nest spruce or some other kind of spruce weirdly pruned right next to the door. It's not my cup of tea but it does add another color, bluish green. If that's what I'm seeing, hard to tell. It also appears that on the far left corner of the house (from my view looking at the house) you have a Japanese maple that has a lovely form, just not leafed out when this picture was taken.

I don't know what you love about your neighbor's front, but some of the nice things I see is that they have shrubs and small trees with a variety of shapes and colored foliage, and a weeping evergreen, plus some kind of shrub that is in bloom and maybe has reddish foliage. Those are some elements you are missing if you like.

A very nice landscape shrub for flowers, scent and stunning fall foliage is Mt. Airy Dwarf Fothergilla. Very hardy and does well in shade. It's pretty but not exciting in the summer but wonderful in the spring when it is blooming, and fall when the leaves turn brilliant shades of orange-ish red.

You can grow another shrub I love but doesn't thrive in my zone, Japanese andromeda, which you can find labeled "Pieris Japonica." There is also a similar native plant called "Leucothe" which is not quite as showy but is a broad leaved more or less evergreen plant so that would be a nice contrast to the evergreens you already have.

Another fabulous spring flowering set of shrubs that you can grow in your zone are the rhododendrons. There are also azaleas but they need more sun. That's why I said check your actual sunny hours and what time of day. These are spring bloomers but look nice structurally at other times.

And then there are a whole set of viburnum's and hydrangeas that are the big early or late summer bloomers. Viburnum are white blooming, the native highbush cranberry also has stunning red berries in the fall. That one grows to be a beast but if you are into it, you can keep it pruned back, but it will take work. I see they offer a dwarf variety but you may not be able to find it. There are lots of dwarf hydrangeas like little lime, etc.

Now, if you indeed have at least six hours of sun, then you can grow some pink flowering shrubs like "Wine and Roses" or "Spilled wine" weigela and goldmound or magic carpet spirea. These small shrubs have colorful foliage and beautiful early summer pink blooming.

Just some ideas to get your juices flowing. Go to a reputable nursery where you can get someone to help you who knows what goes with what and what is easy care. It's also important to space your shrubs far enough apart to leave room for how big they will get when they reach their mature size. Smaller shrubs are cheaper and they grow faster than the larger ones, but they look a little sparse for the first year or two. The standard garden technique for handling that situation is to inter-plant with colorful annuals until your shrubs fill in. It happens fast.

• l pinkmountain
    last year

Oops, forgot to mention the dogwood shrubs like red twig dogwood and silky dogwood and even yellowtwig dogwood. Year round interest, but be careful to find smaller varieties, as they can get a bit leggy if not cared for/pruned properly. Your neighbor doesn't have anything like that though . . . but you might like them, look and see . . .

• Blair
    last year

As a person who lives on the South Shore of Long Island, viburnum & hydrangeas are the way to go. I have the limelight hydrangeas that get about 3 hours of light that do very well. If you truly have shade there, hosta s are beautiful. There is a hosta nursery on Jericho Turnpike in Brookville & the woman there is so knowledgeable.