Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
psvenn55

looking at condo

Psvenndex
2 years ago

We are looking at a first floor condo being built and after several visits, just now figured out that the master bathroom garden tub window looks out onto the neighbors entry/porch area. In the photo of another identical unit, the entry is for the neighbor's condo is on the right and we would be the window on the left. Since our entry is on the other side of the building we do not enter here, but the neighbor does and in the complex, most of those units' residents "furnish" the entire entry/porch. I am really not comfortable with potentially having people right outside my bathroom window; but in asking others, they have said with good film, blinds etc they would be ok. We have not signed anything yet. Thoughts?

Comments (26)

• maddielee
    2 years ago

It wouldn’t bother me, but I’m not a bathtub lover.

Those windows are high enough that you will not be gazing out on their porch while soaking in your tub.

Are there other windows for ventilation? Does your current residence have clear views from your bathroom, or do you have window coverings?

Psvenndex thanked maddielee
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

The garden tub would be going right after possession and I happen to love tubs but not those If you reall ywant help we need floor plan to scale and pictures.

Psvenndex thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • eld6161
    2 years ago

I don't like this set up. I would look further. Not so much worried about people looking in but for you trying to have a relaxing soak and you hear people socializing outside your window.

Psvenndex thanked eld6161
  • PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    2 years ago

Is there an option to get another unit where this does not happen? Can you wait to get one of those if this is a big concern?

People may put a few chairs out there, but would they really be hanging out there entertaining? Isn't there some sort of back yard area? I just can't imagine 4 or 5 people sitting around in that alcove.

Take some time to drive by when the weather is nice daytime and nighttime and weekends to see if anyone is really spending time there.

Good luck!

Psvenndex thanked Debbi Washburn
  • Ally De
    2 years ago

I'm another one who feels this is a complete nonissue. With blinds or shutters no one can see in. Beyond that what is the issue...? It doesn't look like an area that screams "sit out here and party" - it's too small/narrow.

Psvenndex thanked Ally De
  • JT7abcz
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

The bathroom may be the room in our homes in which we most value privacy - even from our dearly beloved sometimes. While people may not be able to see in, I’m not sure I’d be able to normalize the sounds of neighbors’ voices as they come and go, deliveries being dropped off, solicitors, yard maintenance crews etc. all a few feet away, especially if I was sick or coming right out of the shower. It isn’t a matter of modesty, it’s more about wanting to be able to relax and count on privacy.

Psvenndex thanked JT7abcz
  • Psvenndex
    Original Author
    2 years ago

All of the condos have decks and the ones with basements also have walkout to covered patio. I can't see people choosing to sit there given the 15 x 11 decks off of the living space. We have lived in a detached house since 1979 so all this condo business is new to us. Our bathrooms now have a window in the tub with shower, but the window comes down no lower than your neck or shoulder and are on second floor. A second floor unit would probably be at least a year out as they haven't started a new building yet. I found a photo of the same unit (not the exact one) in construction and also my husband taped floor plans together to get a sense of the integration of the units. The unit we have been looking at is outlined in orange. The people who have entry and the porch actually live upstairs and next door. The second floor floor plan is not shown here other than the stairs going up. The unit next door to "us" is a mirror image of "our unit". So on the plan the Baypoint and Northpoint are upstair units with stairs directly upon entering. No dimensions for the bath or porch.

• Psvenndex
    Original Author
    2 years ago

• Psvenndex
    Original Author
    2 years ago

• eld6161
    2 years ago

Thanks for this last picture. I see JT 7 also agrees. I would not like like any bathroom near a front door entrance.

Psvenndex thanked eld6161
  • Connecticut Yankeeeee
    2 years ago

I wouldn’t like this. My MBath set up is similar but I’m in a single family home with tiny lots. My big window above the tub overlooks my neighbor’s house. I’ve used the tub twice and I just felt weird even with blinds. I can see into their second floor loft. It was not relaxing. I am a bath lover and this would be a no-go for me. Good luck to you!

Psvenndex thanked Connecticut Yankeeeee
  • Toronto Veterinarian
    2 years ago

That wouldn't bother me at all. I'd cover it with film, and enjoy the sunlight. I love big windows in a bathroom.

Psvenndex thanked Toronto Veterinarian
  • kudzu9
    2 years ago

No house is perfect. If that is the worst feature of the property, I'd say you're in good shape. I also agree that there are many ways to deal with this, and that it should be a non-issue in terms of your decision to buy.

Psvenndex thanked kudzu9
  • functionthenlook
    2 years ago

It would bother me some. I like my windows open in the summer. My current master bath has no windows and I really miss not having a window in the bathroom. I would be unhappy with a window I couldn't open. But it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. Is the deck covered? if so the people might want to sit out front when it is raining or want shade. Just think of the juicy gossip you might hear while soaking in the tub. lol

Psvenndex thanked functionthenlook
  • latifolia
    2 years ago

What if there's a smoker next door who goes out there to smoke?

Psvenndex thanked latifolia
  • function_first
    2 years ago

Agree with the "it's a non-issue" folks. The only people you'll have on that porch are Amazon and UPS delivery. The owners will enter and exit through the garage, and they won't be hanging out there, it's not big enough to comfortably do that. Also, if you're like 99% of homeowners, that tub will be rarely used, and the toilet is far enough from the window that I don't think leaving the window open will be an issue either. If you like everything else, go for it!

Psvenndex thanked function_first
  • shirlpp
    2 years ago

Put some sound barrier between your owner's suite and the other. It is waaayyy too close. You will hear things in the bedroom that you don't want to hear.

Psvenndex thanked shirlpp
  • chiflipper
    2 years ago

The window shown in the photo of "bathroom in progress" is non-operable. Suggest you mount a framed piece of obscure glass over the existing window...a custom piece of stained glass comes to mind.

Psvenndex thanked chiflipper
  • PRO
    Norwood Architects
    2 years ago

Since you can't rearrange your rooms (am assuming that you can't or wouldn't want to) it's a decision that's entirely up to you. Can you live with it or not? When no one is bathing I'm assuming there would be no issue. When someone is you can simply close the curtains or lower the blinds. You could also do something as simply and creative as installing a stained or patterned glass panel in front of the lower lite. Another alternative is plantation shutters. Good luck!

Psvenndex thanked Norwood Architects
  • Anne Duke
    2 years ago

I’m a long time condo owner. I also think it’s a non issue. People pull into their garages to enter their homes. Front doors are used for guests or to run to pick up mail. You’ll likely go months with never seeing anyone in that location. As for window alterations/coverings and front entrance decor, check the CCR and rules documents.

Psvenndex thanked Anne Duke
  • margimutch
    2 years ago

I noticed the adjacent house also has the bathroom tub at the entry. Can you ask them if it's an issue? It might be a good way to establish some ground rules. Or if they are not receptive, move on.

Psvenndex thanked margimutch
  • lyfia
    2 years ago

Only you can decide if it would bother you. I think it would bother me, but to be honest I think in any house even if custom designed there will be trade-offs, so it really comes down to what will bother you more. One thing to consider is that the entry there is to the upstairs unit so it is possible they will never use the little porch area at all, or it could become a place where they hang out if they have kids that would be playing in the front that need supervision. There is no way to really say if it will be used or not. I think the neighbors window would have less privacy from people standing by the door waiting for the owners to open as their window is right by the door.

However good window treatments (several mentioned here) would solve anyone being able to see in. Obscure glass or stained glass still allows some views inside so you'd probably want to consider that. For example when it is dark outside obscure glass will allow a silhouette to show through, so having something to also be able to close for more privacy would be better.

Psvenndex thanked lyfia
  • Psvenndex
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you everyone for your helpful comments.

• Helen
    2 years ago

I think the bathroom was placed there deliberately because it was the best use of space since placement in other areas would "waste" actual exterior walls. In some ways it is not different than having a bathroom with no window which is typical in many homes that have shared walls or in multiple family homes like condos.

As others have posted I think the reality is that this entrance would not be used for any kind of entertaining and only used by visitors - and most people do not have a constant stream of visitors. Entrance by the family would be through the garage.

Children would play in the backyard portion which has a covered deck and adults would also use the back area as all the communal living spaces open to that area. I can't imagine any situation in which people actually use a dark cramped entry way as any kind of "living space". My parents lived in a condo which had this kind of covered entry and all the people with this type of floor plan "decorated" the front in some way but no one actually spent any time just as people with homes don't spend time on their front entries in single family homes when they have a back patio area.

FWIW there is "glass" which does not produce any kind of image even when lit from within. My interior doors have a "glass" door in order for the interior to seem less heavy and nothing can be seen - no shadow. When I was looking at doors I tested it as the door store had the doors installed in their public restrooms.

Psvenndex thanked Helen
  • elcieg
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Of more concern for me is their porch location. I don't like townhouses unless the garages abutt.

Abutting garages also eliminate social interaction, should you discover you and your neighbor have nothing in common. Guess what I am saying is condo living can be great, but you have to make sure you still have the privacy you need. I like a lot of privacy.

Psvenndex thanked elcieg