Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

I guess it's our turn. The other big C.

Oakley
last year

DS who lives behind us has Covid. He tested positive this morning. So the grands have been exposed but their mom had it last year and they didn't get it. Both have been vaccinated since. I think I last saw him when we were standing next to each other was a little over a week ago, and DH was next to him two weeks ago, so I think we're out of the woods.

I won't know more until he sees or talks to the doctor. At least his wife is an ER RN.

Comments (38)

• Jilly
    last year

Oh no, sorry to hear that, Oakley. I hope he recovers quickly and that the rest of you don’t get it.

Oakley thanked Jilly
  • czarinalex
    last year

Hope he has a mild, quick case and the rest of you stay healthy!

Oakley thanked czarinalex
  • Tina Marie
    last year

If your son has been vaxxed and boosted, he hopefully will have a minor case. Hoping that is true and that no one else gets it.

Oakley thanked Tina Marie
  • Funkyart
    last year

Yup-- what Tina, Alex and Jinx said... stay clear and try not to worry! 😉

Oakley thanked Funkyart
  • Oakley
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you. I talked to him a bit ago and he's waiting to hear from the doctor. It's starting to hit him but he can work from home. He said he "feels it coming on" so he gets some nutrients in him before it hits. No idea what he's talking about. He sounds kind of grumpy. :)

• Arapaho-Rd
    last year

I'm sorry Oakley, it just seems to be hitting again even though we're out of the "acute" phase so they say. I hope he feels better soon.

• petalique
    last year

Sorry to hear that, Oakley. I hope it’s uneventful and that he recovers fully. Stay clear and stay masked.

We don’t socialize much and keep masked. Last week we went to dinner at an off hour, empty place, good food, masked waiter.

The virus is stilll around, so we must be aware, try to have fun, but continue to be mindful. A lot of people seem ro be letting their guard down — busy restaurants, parties, stores & not masking.

• Tina Marie
    last year

If he qualifies, he should be able to get the antiviral meds.

• texanjana
    last year

Hope his case is mild and uneventful.

• roarah
    last year

Hope he feels better soon abd the rest of your family stay healthy!

• Bestyears
    last year

Everyone seems to be getting it suddenly. Hope it is mild and brief!

• nicole___
    last year

I'm so sorry your son got it. I hope it's just a minor case....minor symptoms. I had it in 2020. A neighbor hugged me and kissed me on the cheek...a week later I tested positive.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks, everyone. Tina, he was able to get a prescription this afternoon.

Nicole, that's kind of funny. Sometimes it's hard not to say, "Idiot." LOL

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    last year

So sorry, Oakley.

• arcy_gw
    last year

yawn. Yes everyone will get COVID if they live long enough. Lets move on. Vaxs, boosters, treatments. It's really no longer A THING.

• User
    last year

Hope his case is mild and uneventful.

I really think there needs to be a greeting card that says that.

I wholeheartedly agree with the message. Hope you're all doing ok!

• bbstx
    last year
    last modified: last year

Y’all, we really are going to need another name for COVID other than ”C”. You know what I think every time I see that in a title! It makes my heart race for whoever is posting it. Can we do C-19 or something of that sort, please?

Oakley, sorry your son is ill, but I assume the disease will run its course with him like it did with DD, DSIL, and 2 of the 3 grands ….. it was almost a non-event.

• yeonassky
    last year

What about just calling it COV?

I hope your DS is better quickly Oakley!

Yes covid is familiar but just like when anybody is ill with anything we all have an opportunity to commiserate. Which I will continue to do.

It makes our fellow GW members feel better. To me that's a good enough reason to stop and say sorry that's happening. Sending good thoughts etc is just another way of supporting our fellow beings.

I am not so nonchalant about it all yet anyway. I have seen too many people fall very ill and Hospital visits are again on the rise everywhere. Omicron is said to be more difficult on children than the other variants and the original.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    last year

Sorry, BB. I did hesitate on what to say, that's why I wrote "the other big C" so as not to scare anyone. I hate putting Covid in the heading because this topic could easily show up during a search.

I agree Yeonassky, it is on the rise. Tonight's news said in the past two week the rise in children getting Covid is 40%.

At my age and with asthma & mostly controlled T2 diabetes, I have to be careful. And I'll never forget how a whole family died here from Covid.

• gsciencechick
    last year

Hope he's feeling better soon. Yes, no time to let your guard down at all.

• DLM2000-GW
    last year

And so it goes.... none of us is immune to Covid and most of us will probably get it and recover just fine at some point but getting it or having a loved one get it is still enough to cause that flutter of concern - even if it's just for a moment. Hopefully he recovers quickly and you and DH are spared.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    last year

What everyone else said. Wishing you and your family well. I hope it stays mild.

And it appears someone's comment was removed in the last 22 minutes...?

• jill302
    last year

Good news that it appears that you are unlikely to have been infected. Sorry to hear that your son had a positive test, and symptoms, hoping that he recovers quickly.

• lizzie_grow
    last year

Yawn is not a kind response...just saying....Oakley, stay well!!!

• teeda
    last year

Hope your son's case is mild and he recovers quickly. Hope the rest of the family stays healthy too.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you everyone. I was so busy I didn't have time to read YAWN. I'm kind of guessing who wrote it. And to Yawner, I'm vaxxed and if I do catch Covid I'll probably die. Bless you anyway.

DS is feeling great right now, slept 10 hours last night. He realizes he's not out of the woods yet because of Covid's mysterious ways.

• User
    last year

The yawner was basically saying that practically everyone is getting it these days and it's no big deal. I thought it sounded pretty tone deaf. Are cases getting more mild due to vaccines and such? Yes, but there are still outliers, and nasty long term effects for some. Just like the flu, still a reason to be concerned.

• Tina Marie
    last year

I didn't see the comment, thanks for explaining Seattle. Oakley, you have been vaxxed and boosted - right? Even though you may be high risk, the vax and boosters are greatly reducing hospitalizations. Also the antiviral that is available is helping to prevent hospitalization/deaths also, so try not to think the worst.

• OllieJane
    last year

Strange, I still see the yawn comment.

• Tina Marie
    last year

Oh gosh I do too!! Not who I figured made it. i didnt go back far enough earlier. Incredibly rude!

• Oakley
    Original Author
    last year

I scrolled and looked and yep, I was right. Arcy, I like you and I've always wondered what happened to cause you to be intentionally rude to people. Be nice. :)

• sheesh
    last year

Oakley, I hope things go well for your son.. My otherwise healthy and athletic 17 yo granddaughter, vaxxed and boosted, just returned to school Thursday after 8 days of being pretty miserable. She is still not completely back to normal as she still coughs and her energy is low. This thing is unpredictable.

• lizbeth-gardener
    last year

Sorry to hear your son has covid. I do hope it's a mild case and that it misses you and your DH.

The callousness and ignorance of some people is mind boggling! Yes, many do have mild cases, but there are many who have long covid and even though the hospitalizations and death rates are nothing like they were in the earlier days, people are still dying and many people are still left with long term health issues.

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    last year

Oakley, I hope your son has a speedy and boring and full recovery. You handled the contention here with such grace. I am mightily impressed.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    last year

I'm so sorry to hear this. Sending healing thoughts his way. I've heard of so many people getting sick just in the last few weeks and our positivity rate is approaching double digits again. The good news is that most of them are sick for a few days and then recover completely. Let's hope that's true for your DS too.

-------------

To Arcy: "It's really no longer A THING"

Tell that to the 130,000 people who've died of Cv just this year.

Denial may alleviate the fear, but it doesn't alleviate the risk.

• HU-977136802
    last year

Since it's no longer a thing, why do you obsessively have to post this on sick people's posts? In general, isn't it inconsiderate to tell sick people you don't want to hear about their concerns or minimize them? If you don't care don't post. If one does not care or wants to get on with life without having to concern themselves with getting sick, seems like a covid post would be the last thing they would want to participate in, let alone one of the few they do.

• robo (z6a)
    last year

Oakley - glad your son is feeling relatively well! Best wishes to him and his family.