Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carol_theresa

Blank Slate Kitchen -- Help!!

Theresa Mary
last year

We are doing some reno and moving our kitchen to a new space. Well, it's actually a newly expanded space of where the original kitchen of the house used to be located. Previous owners had moved it to a small room off the back of the house (1915 colonial revival) and we're moving it back to its original spot while also taking out a few walls to make it larger. I am having a very difficult time conceptualizing where to place our appliances, island, and long kitchen table (92").

Any help would be appreciated! Thank you!!

Comments (36)

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    last year

This was the first thought I had for the space.

You definitely should work with a kitchen designer so they can input everything into the design program and you can see it 3D!

Good luck!

Theresa Mary thanked Debbi Washburn
  • Theresa Mary
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you, Debbie! I certainly will. Here are two of my issues. 1) I don’t like the view from Windows A, B, or C. 2) I’d really like to fit a large kitchen table to sit at vs. a large kitchen island. But i was hoping for both an island and a table. Do you think that is asking too much of the space?

• mcarroll16
    last year
    last modified: last year

I made a graph paper version and started playing with it. I came up with something similar to Debbie's version. And the conclusion that no, you really can't fit a 92" table and an island. You could use your long table in place of an island though, running parallel to the window wall. It's a lovely look. And personally, I find tables to be a terrific extra work space. I frequently move to my kitchen table to do stirring, kneading, and even chopping work.

If you don't like the views from your windows, consider running shelves or pot rails across them. That would give you obscured views and extra storage, without losing all the light. Here are links to some Houzz examples: pot rail, shelves (first picture).

Quick mockup with your table doubling as an island. Sink is centered between windows, to help take the focus off the views you dislike.

Theresa Mary thanked mcarroll16
  • Theresa Mary
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you, mcarroll16! I just checked the basement ceiling. Where you have the sink is actually where it used to be.

• mcarroll16
    last year

Variation, swapping fridge and range.

• mcarroll16
    last year

If you want a large table (is it a sentimental piece?), you really shouldn't need an island for seating. But you could fit a moveable island, for extra work space. Here's another arrangement. I would look for a wheeled cart that has a good-quality set of drawers right below the countertop. Since this arrangement doesn't have a lower cabinet near the dishwasher, you could use the island drawers to store siliverware. With the table in this position, I would only have chairs on the long sides, not at the head or the foot.

• Theresa Mary
    Original Author
    last year

Mccarroll16, that’s an interesting idea! We have a lot of kids and like to eat dinner together in the kitchen, allowing the dining room to be available for homework, crafts, formal meals, etc.

What do you think about the fridge on the other side of the room? (across from where your current picture has it.)

• mcarroll16
    last year

Ha! That is actually where I would put the fridge, if it were my kitchen. I didn't draw it up because it goes against conventional layout wisdom. It will mean a lot of extra steps in prep work. That wouldn't bother me, but then I am living with several super-inefficient layout issues. I would put the fridge over there, and then a cabinet with a microwave and the family snack stash.

• mcarroll16
    last year

Here's a mockup with a fridge on the "south" side of the room. I moved the sink over to be within a window well, just to show an option. From what you described above, keeping it centered between windows may fit your design goals better. Keeping it between windows would also let you have a larger set of lower drawers left of the DW.

• mcarroll16
    last year

One more idea for you. Since you are already moving walls, here's one where you move the opening to the dining room. Dining room table becomes the every-meal table. A smaller kitchen table can be the homework and craft station. The dining room is easy to access for serving, but the wall extends just far enough to keep the main cooking mess out of view. You could even run the wall a little further "south" to completely shield the island from view. I made the island 36" deep to give a good worktop. I would put storage cabinets on the back, not seating.

• Theresa Mary
    Original Author
    last year

Interesting idea! A lot to think about.

If the range goes on the ”west“ wall, do you think it can be vented into an old chimney that is in there?

• mcarroll16
    last year

Maybe? There was a recent thread where someone was planning to do that. But it's really going to depend on what's going on in your chimney. Your contractor is the best person to answer to answer that.

• Theresa Mary
    Original Author
    last year

Mcarroll16, you had mentioned liking the look of a long wooden table running the length of a kitchen. if you happen to see any photos of that, would you mind posting?

• mcarroll16
    last year

Sure! Here are a couple. They are from this blog post, which has many more examples, https://mariakillam.com/scandinavian-eat-in-kitchen/

• mcarroll16
    last year

The pictures all show chairs immediately behind the prep counter, which would drive me crazy. I would only do this if I had another dining area for regular use. For the kitchen table, I would have chairs at the ends and at the long "outside" edge. No chairs parked on the inside working side of the kitchen. Maybe some attractive folding chairs stashed nearby in the mudroom or hung on the back of a door.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    last year

I'm late to the game, and I borrowed mcarroll's idea and grid for this version. If you can move the DR entry, and if you can use a bench against the shared wall, you could fit an island--if you can put counters under the windows on the bottom wall. (You don't like the view from the other windows so maybe that view is better?)

I included a prep sink on the island, to provide a work zone not in the traffic path, which leaves only the clean-up zone on the bottom wall. With a 53" aisle, I think there's space for someone to walk behind the worker at the sink and DW.

The plan could be flipped (m/l), more like mcarroll's:

Theresa Mary thanked mama goose_gw zn6OH
  • Theresa Mary
    Original Author
    last year

Interesting ideas! thank you, mama_goose!

i wonder also if in general i should consider a more square table than a longg rectangular one.

• Theresa Mary
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you, mcarroll16! i agree, the thought of all those chairs sticking out in the middle of my kitchen would drive me nuts.

I wonder if right now I should plan on the exterior of the room, but wait on a permanent island as suggested. We could use a moveable island as we figure that part out.

• mcarroll16
    last year

I think that depends on what layout you go with. Mamagoose's two plans are both great, but they work best with the island prep sink. That means a permenant island.

• Theresa Mary
    Original Author
    last year

Mcarroll16, i wonder how a round or square table would work (in your 3rd and 4th) draw ups.

• mcarroll16
    last year

Hmmm, depends on how many people you want to seat in the kitchen. For a given width/diameter, round & square tables seat fewer people than oval or square tables do. You have room for at least a 72" long table, possibly even 92". But you really need to keep the width at 42" or less. And 42" square or round only seats 4 comfortably.

A 42" round extension table would be great though. If it has a pedestal base, you can crowd people around it easier. And expanded to full length, it would have softer ends that leave the pathways less crowded.

• Theresa Mary
    Original Author
    last year

What is the typical clearance that you like to have around a table for comfortable seating?

• mcarroll16
    last year

36" is super comfy. At least one side should have 36" or more, for a guest who uses a walker, or is heavyset. 30" works ok, a person moving behind chairs will have to scooch sideways. At 24", if you've got 3 or 4 people on that side, the outside people will have to move in order for the middle people to get in and out. 24" clearance is for the kid side of the table. :)

• Theresa Mary
    Original Author
    last year

Here is a recent sketch I made with both a big table and a small island. I'm just concerned about not having enough cabinet space.

• Theresa Mary
    Original Author
    last year

And here’s a sketch i did with only a big table running the length of the room, allowing room for a hutch as well.

• mcarroll16
    last year

Both of those layouts give you no landing, or even elbow room, on one side of your range. If you have an electric cooktop, that will be really annoying. If you have a gas cooktop, it might also be unsafe. I've had a couple kitchens with the same lack of clearance, and I would never spend money to recreate that problem. The guidelines I've heard are minimum 12" on one side and 15" on the other. Personally I would want more than 12". I would want the diameter of my largest commonly-used pan, plus 3"-4".

• Theresa Mary
    Original Author
    last year

Yes, that’s a good point. the length of that wall to the right of the door is 119”.

• mcarroll16
    last year

Ah. So there's approximately 18" more than your drawing suggests, I think. It's workable, for a 1 cook kitchen. You will be standing right in the corner at the range, so not comfy to have another person at the sink. Personally, I would rather have the fridge right of the sink & DW, or on the "bottom" wall where you have a narrow pantry or countertop. I'd prefer to have extra steps in fetching produce or putting dishes away, in order to have extra room in my prep zone. But design is full of tradeoffs, and we all have different priorities. Think about how you want to use the kitchen as a family, as your children grow older, to get a clear picture of which tradeoffs work best for you.

• Theresa Mary
    Original Author
    last year

That's a good point! Refrigerators take up so much space! I hate how it would obstruct my view to the windows I like looking out (in mudroom and dining room) if it's to the right of the sink or where the pantry/narrow countertop is.

• Theresa Mary
    Original Author
    last year

I'm also tempted to keep one in the mudroom and a smaller one in the kitchen.

• mcarroll16
    last year

That could work! Fisher Paykel makes a great 30" counter-depth fridge, I'm sure there are other good models too. Or you could go with an all-fridge column in the kitchen, freezer in the mudroom. If you had a narrower counter-depth fridge, could you put right of the sink, or on the bottom wall, without losing too much view?

• Theresa Mary
    Original Author
    last year

That's a very interesting thought about breaking up the fridge and the freezer! I guess the only potential issue would be access to ice for water.

• mcarroll16
    last year

Ah yes, I always forget about that. We have deliberately avoided ice and water dispensers in fridges.

• Theresa Mary
    Original Author
    last year

They are a pain because they frequently break.

• mcarroll16
    last year

We just don't want to lose the fridge space. And we have a spectrum kid who would flood the kitchen if she could get water from the fridge door.

Sponsored
ANF Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Kitchen & Bath Designers Servicing VA