Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pseudorandoms

Looking for feedback on my house floor plan

pseudorandoms
last year
last modified: last year

I'm building a house on a 225 square meter rectangular plot. Looking for feedback on the design I've put together. Somehow I'm not hundred percent sure. I want it to be perfect and some way it doesn't feel perfect. Not even close.

Comments (20)

• Chris
    last year

The plan’s aren’t showing.

• pseudorandoms
    Original Author
    last year

Sorry didn't know it didn't attach the image. Here it is.

• Chris
    last year

Most are going to ask if you have the plans with measurements.

• Chris
    last year

Be ready for some very blunt help from Houzz users. Just know that they are going to challenge you a lot during this process, but they will be immensely helpful if you have an open mind. They will most likely ask for measurements and if you have an architect. If you are just at a gathering phase before seeing one, that is a good starting point. One thing that jumps out to me is the area for dining area seems larger than your living room and how important is having a media room for you… it closes off the space… it could be more open without those walls. Are you attaching the storage to the car park/ garage? And do the stairs lead to another floor? I’d look on line at some sample plans and visit open houses if you haven’t already to get some more good ideas of what might work for you. House building can be exciting, but a whole lot of frustration can accompany it.

• Verbo
    last year

That isn't a plan. It isn’t even a good concept drawing because it has no concept of scale and proportion, or any idea of how people use a space.

• Lorraine Leroux
    last year

First thoughts. Dining room is huge compared to the living room and kitchen. Kitchen is cut off from the rest of the home. Maybe have the stairs come from the back instead and switch things up. I think you may be better off finding an existing floorplan you like and tweeking it rather than where it is now.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

First go back and add measurements for us to be able to read clearly also the direction the house faces. Do the stirs go up or down.I do not think a ready made plan is a good idea but I do think an architect will need to be involved to design a house for your lot which BTW we also need the actual measurements for . I see many issues so first the measurements of the spaces then we can advise .We also need some info as to your family size and ages , how many cooks in the kitchen .I will off the top of my head delete the walk in pantry .

• WestCoast Hopeful
    last year

The very basic idea of an open concept living/dining with powder nearby and kitchen close as well as storage and a bedroom is common. But your plan lacks all the details needed to actually comment on it. If your question is should those rooms be on a main floor then yes it’s fine. If you actually want feedback on a plan much more info is needed

• pseudorandoms
    Original Author
    last year
    last modified: last year

Thank you all for your comments and replies. Here I have tried to put the design using an app which shows the measurements too.

Below are the answers of some of your questions:

1. I have yet to involve an architect. The reason I am trying a rough plan myself is that currently I am living in a house built on a plot of the same dimensions (12m x18m) which we like and we thought we would only need some tweaking in our current floorplan as the only thing I need different in my new house is a separate TV room (currently the TV is kept in the living area)

2. We are a family of 5 - me, my spouse (in our 30s), 2 kids (6yrs old twins) and my 80 years old mum (for whom we need a bedroom in the ground floor).

3. The house we currently live in has an open plan; in the entire ground floor, except for the bedroom that has walls, there are no walls dividing living, dining, kitchen areas. We like this plan but I want to move the TV out of the living area into a place from where its sound doesnt go in any other area of the house.

4. The stairs lead to the upper floor of the house that will have three bedrooms. I have yet not planned the upper floor. We also need the provision for a lift so that my mum can also access upper floors of the house.

5. TV room has to be in the ground floor.

Happy to answer any more questions. And thank you all for looking my query. I agree with your observation that dining area seemed bigger that the living area. These are the things I want to fix, and hopefully with your feedback, I will have a better design.

I truly appreciate your help! Thank you so much!

• Chris
    last year

Seems like you prefer a more closed concept home? Do you plan on sound proofing the wall between the tv room and your mum’s bedroom so the tv doesn’t disturb her? Is there a reason you’d like 3 separate storage rooms by the garage/ cars? Or is one a laundry room or mud room? It’d be nicer if you could put the door to the toilet in a hall instead of right on the living room wall… not a lot of privacy for visitors opening straight into the living room/ dining area. Looks like you’ll have some under the stairs storage options as well( just keep that in mind). Will the stairs be open to the room or closed? There’s so much to go through…. Just a few things that pop to mind.

• Chris
    last year

Hall way bath entrance example/ idea…

• pseudorandoms
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you so much! This makes absolute sense!

To answer your other questions:

I like open concept, I just wanted the house to be more functional too. Having one large area means having to keep cleaning the entire area all the time as all of it is in use throughout the day.

Sound proofing would be great. The walls will be concrete, would appreciate any ideas i can use to make is sound proof.

The garage storage is mainly for my husband and his car and bike gears (which are a lot!) Storage area is mainly to have more space to hide things which otherwise end up on tables.

I am planning to have an open staircase more like floating ones. To keep the overall look light and spacious.

One question: Do doors always have to open in a corner? Is this (in the pic below) architecturally acceptable?

• Chris
    last year

Is it possible to have some wall measurements?

• pseudorandoms
    Original Author
    last year

Exterior walls are 32 cms and inside ones 15 cms.

• Chris
    last year

The door opening like in the picture you have opens against a closet(it looks like…)If it opens directly against the wall in a corner ….it’s hard to use that wall space for Furniture because you’ll walk through the door into a side of furniture.

pseudorandoms thanked Chris
  • Chris
    last year

Our house is very open and I’ve found that having tons of kitchen storage that it’s very easy to keep things tidy. What I wish we’d created is an office/ play/ artistic endeavor room that could be the messy spot where homework, game boards, creative paintings could lay about until it’s completed.

• pseudorandoms
    Original Author
    last year

Yes, there will be a cupboard there. However I was thinking if putting a door opening like that even acceptable by design, as I have always seen doors placed in a corner where they open towards the wall and never on the other side. I wanted this way (how it is in the picture) to serve as a barrier so anyone sitting in the living area can not see the inside of the bedroom even if the door is left open.

You are right about having a spare room for activities. Not sure how to squeeze that in this design. May be media room can serve the dual purpose

• pseudorandoms
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you! I have hired an architect team who also do interiors. They will give a 3D design along with the interior ideas incorporated in the design. This will help me picture what it will all look like together. Thanks for your helpful suggestions. Really appreciate it and it has helped me a lot.

• Chris
    last year

Exciting! Please share what they come up with if you have time. I’d love to see how they interpret your ideas and needs.