Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
abhijit_choudhary

Decor for corner in basement

AJ C
last year

See attached pic. I feel like something is missing or as if the decor isnt making sense. The frames are not the right size or are too subtle. Is there a best practice for a corner with the soffits as seen? I’m thinking a tall plant in the corner would be nice.

Is the rug too small as well? Thanks!

Comments (5)

• decoenthusiaste
    last year
    last modified: last year

The first issue I notices was the pale, skimpy rug. Leggy furniture should sit entirely on a rug, so you need a larger one with more color. What is the purpose of this area? None of the seating looks to be comfy enough for extended sitting. I think the taller round table is a better scale for the corner, and the lamp should be larger too. Tables should arrive 1" above or below arms of seating. My solution would be to hang the two pieces together on the wall with the higher soffit. Have you tried the two settees opposite each other? Center the settee by the door on that wall and put the other one opposite it. Then the two chairs can separate and go at each end of the pair. This would allow for a larger rug to run parallel to the door. Then pull all the seating within 18" of the coffee table so everyone has access to put down a drink, etc. Try that without any rug at all and let's see how it feels. If you like it, then we can measure for the rug size.

• hu818472722
    last year

A big part of the problem is you have a square seating arrangement on top of a square area rug with a large square coffee table, all in a mostly square corner of this room so there is too much repetition going on. This is also too much furniture in this corner so paring down to one sofa and two chairs would be more in scale to the size of this area of the room. If you keep the one sofa on the wall with the lower soffit and one chair on either side with either two side tables/lamps or one side table/lamp and possibly a floor lamp on the other it would look more balanced. You could arrange your two art frames above the sofa 6-9 inches above the sofa to connect it to your furniture grouping. An oval or rectangular coffee table (maybe brass?) would vary the shapes and possibly a 6 x 9 area rug would be large enough without hitting the support pole. A layered rug could be a nice addition and matching the grey/white tones in your existing flooring would help it blend better than the current beige rug. A 3x5 or 4x6 could be layered on top of a 6 x9 rug and the right size would be determined by the size of your new coffee table.

• AJ C
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks for taking the time. Much appreciated.

For some reason only 1 pic uploaded. I’ll try a couple things out and then re-post but thanks for great tips.

We are trying to accommodate more people in the seating area. The seating is actually quite comfortable. We don’t want to get rid of furniture from our previous bigger house and that is why we are having some issues.

The basement is actually one large open space with 4 areas around the center support pole. This seating area is next to a bar and the movie area is across from the bar. We don’t have any sectionals.

-AJ

• Mark Brunner
    last year

I vote for a bigger rug.

• Emily
    last year

You could get a larger sisal rug and then use what you have on top since the color is nice with what you have. The pictures aren't the correct size for where they are placed. Are they the same size? If so you could hang both of them together above the sofa below the soffit. Then get something larger for above the other sofa. A tall plant/tree to add some greenery would be a really nice idea. I love your basement floors. Those are beautiful.

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County