Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cameron_lepine

help with layout. Blank canvas

Cameron Lepine
last year
last modified: last year

I'm looking to see what other people have for a layout of the kitchen/dining/family area.

Please keep your comments to yourself if it doesn't involve those 3 areas.

Yellow arrow is showing the stair opening.

Blue is windows and brown is front door.

All doors are pocket doors.

Comments (12)

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    last year

I do not 'have' this for my home's layout, but I do have it on my drawing board. The view is to the top of the drawing, to the left is a door to the deck, to the right is an archway to the bedrooms, to the bottom is an archway to the stairs, entry, pantry, laundry, and garage.

• Buehl
    last year

"Please keep your comments to yourself if it doesn't involve those 3 areas."

Obviously you haven't read the Layout Help thread or the "New to Kitchens? Read Me First!" thread! :-)

From the Layout Help thread:

Warning: People will probably comment anyway, it is tough to let a kitchen [or any space] go that you think is dysfunctional and will cause angst later...especially if it is not yet installed and we think we can help. Bear with us, we are just trying to help!]

Regarding the layout, please post a fully-measured layout as described in the "New to Kitchens? Read Me First!" thread. From the Read Me thread:

• The measurements should be for the widths of each wall/window/door/doorway and the distances between each wall/window/door/doorway. See the sample below. Window & doorway measurements should include trim.
    • ...layouts often lack key measurements and, sometimes, measure to/from things like the middle of a wall or the middle of a window. Neither are useful. Measure each item and the distances between each item. See the sample below.

Are you just asking about that blank space below & to the left of the bedrooms? It's not marked.

• herbflavor
    last year

insert something like this opposite the master and laundry door....you need it. then the kitchen goes on the left..dining in the middle and living more toward the front door. You can place the same partition structure opposite the lower right bedroom door to segregate bedroom wing traffic from living room activity. not exactly a hallway but a little bit of separation. small kitchen? just outside laundry door...dining can go into lower left corner ..... so bigger living space for yourselves.

Pacific Palisades Residence · More Info

San Francisco Residence · More Info

• Cameron Lepine
    Original Author
    last year

how is this ? Is it functional?

@Buehl@herbflavor @Mark Bischak, Architect

• herbflavor
    last year

reduce the size of the kitchen overall and add tall storage in the laundry room passage zone.... I'd plan for a range and hood. Functional? well cant say its NOT functional. If the laundry were instead just pure storage/mudroom and master sq footage moved over a little maybe the hall bath could be a tad bigger and put the laundry there. .

Great transitional kids bath/laundry room · More Info

Traditional Bathroom · More Info

Weekend Getaway - Bathroom and Laundry - Leland, Michigan · More Info

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    last year

No. The separation of public and private spaces are non-existant.

• Cameron Lepine
    Original Author
    last year

@herbflavor the laundry got bigger. We got rid of our walk in closet because we aren't boujee haha so we just took 2ft length wise from the laundry room for our closet.

The rest is a laundry/mud

Laundry is there to bring the wet clothes right on clothes line hehe

• Cameron Lepine
    Original Author
    last year

@Mark Bischak, ArchitectArchitect what privates spaces are you talking about?

• herbflavor
    last year

here are loft dwellings. best you can do if you are proceeding. note the first inserted that partition privacy wall then used it for artwork. good idea. scale your kitchen back and spend on hardwood floor maybe more windows or bigger windows [yours look very teeny---not good] ..maybe 9 foot ceiling height...adds dimension.

Tribeca Loft · More Info

Spice Warehouse Tribeca Loft · More Info

Hudson Loft, NYC · More Info

• Verbo
    last year

Hire a better architect than the one that made all of those major design errors that you don’t want commented about. The problems start way back, with the concept. You're only seeing the effects on the problems with the details that are formed by the poor concept. This isnt worth wasting money twisting things around, trying to keep it.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    last year

Bedrooms and bathrooms are private spaces. When you can sit in a public space (living room, dining room, family room, kitchen) and see into a private space (bedrooms and bathrooms) there is no privacy. Then you have to walk from a bedroom to a bathroom and go through a public space (living room, dining room, family room, kitchen) there is no privacy.

The layout you show is not functional.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    last year

This is now the extent of the family room?

Have you thought about a peninsula rather than an island? It would mean moving the vent, but you'd have more space for the family room:

ETA, an island/bench combo with a dividing hall which blocks the view of the mater BR door (not exactly to scale):