Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_562589266

Exterior Paint help for yellow/orange brick

Stefanie B
last year

I just purchased a house and need some help with the exterior. I’m open to painting the brick as well as keeping it but changing the trim and siding. I’ve always wanted a black house so not opposed to dark colors. Any suggestions on keeping or painting the brick and colors for either way? Thanks

Comments (12)

• Lyn Nielson
    last year

I wouldn't paint the brick.

Navy is a great compliment to your brick color.

The shutters don't fit the windows, I'd just remove them.

a fresh Aqua for the door, or even a lime green shade. Fresh & Young.

• Nancy R z5 Chicagoland
    last year

Cute house.. I would extend the tan on the garage gable to the garage door and the siding. I would paint the front door the dark color in the bricks (I can't tell if it is dark brown or charcoal) and paint the storm door the same or buy one. I would extend the aqua/sage color to the remaining trim, including the facia and porch posts. I don't like the white garage door, but I think the previous owners were on the right track. The biggest problem I see is landscaping. As soon as possible, I would have that half dead tree in the front yard removed. That would enable you to start over with a clean slate.

• kandrewspa
    last year

I like to tell people to do whatever they want because it's their house, but I really don't like the black. IMO that only works on a few houses. Be careful with painting brick - if you don't use the right product it damages your house. Brick needs to be able to breathe. You also create an ongoing maintenance issue where there isn't one to begin with. Romabio is a product that many people on this forum recommend.

• palimpsest
    last year

What color are the darker bricks.

• Sigrid
    last year

I second Navy, assuming it goes with your brick, which you should not paint. Otherwise dark gray. Black is really awful on most houses. I've never seen one that looks good, except in professionally staged photos, which are probably retouched.

• Stefanie B
    Original Author
    last year

I think at one point they were black but they do have a brown undertone. The house faces east so gets lots of sun. I’d really like to keep the brick as is I think but the colors are so different from any brick I’ve seen I’m struggling.

• Jilly
    last year
    last modified: last year

I’d keep the brick, it’s very retro cool.

I wasn’t able to find examples I wanted, but just to show some colors with orange-y brick:

https://www.hunker.com/13771988/colors-orange-brick-house

I’d just do some searching for ideas for this color, this year of house, etc. This great vintage look is coming back. :)

I think if you limewashed or whatever, it would take all character away, plus start a whole chain of having to change everything else.

• Stefanie B
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you… in keeping with your retro cool idea I found this color palette I love for the house. Just not sure if I want the main color the blue or do I switch it up?

• chloebud
    last year

A gray/green similar to the 6th photo from Jinx would be really nice with your brick.

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    last year
    last modified: last year

I like all the suggestions, particularly the natural brick with the orange sherbet door that Jinx posted.

I could paint a house black, but thinking it is a bit of a commitment, so how about gray?

Found this before and after...you could have a white Adirondack chair on your porch.

I noticed in this photo how the walkway mimics yours and what a huge difference it makes with plants and mulch.

Painted Brick in Sherwin Williams Ellie Gray.

I'd paint everything gray, including the what paneling on the porch and the garage door. Thinking it will make the house look bigger.