Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

Ideas on chalk painting this table?

Oakley
last year

Here's a better picture of the table I posted in another thread.

Refinishing is out and I'm down to two colors of paint. Tomorrow will be rainy again so I want to begin tonight.

One idea I have is to only paint the table top and leave the rest alone. Two tone but most people paint the bottom and leave the top alone. Not this one, it's pretty bad and it's also a bit warped on one side.

If I decide to do two tone should I paint the long hang, apron?...on both sides of the table?

I pulled the chairs back to get a better idea of color, and the table will go between them. Lots of room but I have the chairs scooted back and close together for a better picture.

Paint colors. I ordered the Clotted Cream because the color on the can is my dream color. But it's nothing like pale yellow, it's a creamy white. It's not a bright white like the top of the can. The other is Agave.

Last but not least, my shadow Pepper, who slept while I took pictures. I replaced the cats winter bedding with soft king size pillow cases and they love them!

Comments (30)

• Oakley
    Original Author
    last year

• Oakley
    Original Author
    last year
    last modified: last year

The picture above got left out but the table will go between the chairs which I have pulled back and scooted together for a better idea. Also, there's lots of room but it's hard to tell because I had a sheet laying on the rug.

• blfenton
    last year

I just about had an attack - your sentence in the OP reads "I replaced the cats" and then ends until you read down. All I thought of was what did she replace the cats with?!.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    last year

LOL Bl! While I was posting those pictures earlier, Houzz was working fast. After I hit submit a picture was missing.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    last year

Ack! I'm out of shellac which will go on first so I'm going to check out other colors before I decide on the technique then order them together.

In the meantime, give me some ideas! One color or two tone or whatever?

• Oakley
    Original Author
    last year

As soon as I get the time to look at other colors and figure out the technique, which is the hardest, it will begin. Or I may throw caution to the wind and just paint it white today. :)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

WDYM shellac first? All one color, there is already enough going on in the vignette.

• Jilly
    last year

Pepper is adorable.

I like the cream color you got and would paint the whole thing, or just cream on top. I wouldn’t do two colors. Try doing just the top first, live with it, see how it looks. You can always do the rest later.

I do think some sort of design on top would be cool. A stencil, harlequin pattern, checkerboard, decoupage, etc.

ETA: I also think stripping this table and leaving it natural would look fantastic.

• lucillle
    last year

Shellac helps seal and prepare for the coat of paint, and helps prevent tannins from the wood from bleeding through which can be very distressing as they can slowly ruin the piece over months or a year.

I love the colors. I have chalk painted several small tables and ultimately chose to top the chalk paint with several coats of urethane on surfaces that would see a lot of use. Urethanes, though, particularly oil based urethanes, can yellow over time, so take that into consideration. There are several degrees of shininess avaialble with urethane from more matte to glossy. I've also finished pieces with wax, but those were not high use. Wax finishes are often reapplied several times a year.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    last year

Mtn, I'll spray a light coat of shellac on the table top only because of its surface. It prevents the colors from the original stain from bleeding into the chalk paint and helps improve the surface area for paint.

If the table is between the two chairs then the top will get a lot of use, so shellac will also have to be applied after I finish painting.

You're right about one color and I decided on the white that was supposed to be yellow. I'm going to do a test spot today if I get a minute to myself! I need to hire a wife. lol

• Tina Marie
    last year

With chalk paint you really don't need shellac. Chalk paint requires very little prep. I have a couple of pieces of chalk-painted furniture where wax was used. I love the look - and the feel. The desk is our office was painted black and the gal who paints for me did use a matte finish poly over it. I'm about to bite the bullet on a large buffet/cabinet for that room! I'll probably have it finished in the black also. I think your table will look great in one color. If you have other colors in chalk paint, you can mix to get a color you like.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

I've chalk painted three things, no shellac.

• Jilly
    last year

I have had one table bleed through. A maple I did a cream and brown harlequin pattern on.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    last year

I've never put shellac on furniture I've chalk painted either, but none of them had the surface this table has. Knowing me I'll probably bite the bullet and just put it on!

Tina, I have a problem with wax. I never see or feel anything different after I apply the wax. I need to google it again and see what I'm doing wrong, if I am doing something wrong.

Third cold and rainy day, so a good time to paint!

• lucillle
    last year

I look forward to seeing a picture of the finished table!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

I never see or feel anything different after I apply the wax.

But you don't want to. It should be an invisible layer of protection.

• User
    last year

I'm late to the party, but my instinct would be to heavily sand and clear coat just the top, and only paint the legs. It's difficult to sand an entire piece of furniture, but it would be easy to do just the top.

for the legs, I'd either choose a tone that matches the wood (a light color if the sanded wood turns out light, or a dark color for dark wood). you could slightly distress the paint or keep it solid.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    last year

Mtn, I guess what I've seen are pieces that have a finishing coat with gloss. I thought it had to do with buffing. I can't believe all the new products out there for chalk paint finishes.

Seattle, I have a DR table similar to the blue green one with the dark top. The top of the table is veneer and still smooth as can be. I've decided to do all white and be done with it.

I was going to do it today until I saw a cat on the bed and I laid down to say hello and woke up two hours later. :)

• Jilly
    last year

Well?? I wanna see afters! :D

• Tina Marie
    last year

The wax isnt glossy, even with buffing. But you can feel the difference. I cant explain, its almost softer.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    last year

I have the table top and curtain finished. Low energy day so I'm doing a bit at a time. Tina, I guess I should have said shine and not glossy. Just a little shine.

• Jilly
    last year

You have until 5pm tommorrow, Oak.

It’s go time.

https://tenor.com/view/gym-exercise-punch-pain-seinfeld-gif-24109081

• Tina Marie
    last year

Oakley, yes, like a soft glow.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    last year

It's a no go. I knew the veneer top had some warping but it wasn't very noticeable until the first coat went on, and after the second coat it looked like ocean waves. lol If I do finish it the table would have to be placed somewhere else or someone could set a drink on it and it'd fall over. :)

I still want to know what type of table it is!!

• User
    last year

Would it work to put a tray on it? Give it the "layered" look? If the tray wobbled, put felt feet on it, or maybe even glue or screw it down.

Kind of an experimental idea, but just putting it out there. My sister rescued a warped accent table that way.

• lucillle
    last year

You can remove and replace veneer tops. Home Depot sells veneer sheets, cost depends on the kind of wood you choose. HD also provides a certain number (6?) of cuts to purchased wood, so you could probably have the veneer cut to size for free.

If you decide to chalk paint the top, it may be that the surface under the veneer, if sanded, will be good enough to use by itself.

• nicole___
    last year

I have two tables with glass tops.....makes them level. 😁 Or....you could put a marble top on it...and marble would still be per that time period...it looks like it's missing a square dowel on the bottom...for support too.

• olychick
    last year

If it isn't’ obvious that a cross piece is missing at the bottom, then I’d guess it is a desk (child’s if it’s short) because your feet would slide under it without hinderance.

• petalique
    last year

Oak, you can ask at the ~ Collectables forum. I have seen a piece like this somewhere… I doubt is it is a child’s desk.

I once saw a CL adfor a blue chalk painted little table. I wanted to touch it. I kept eturning to the ad, I might have save the photo.