Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
richardj_mcneil

The latest color divide in America

Jurassic Park
last year

We are a nation divided by more than politics. Here is the latest national drought monitor. East is east, and West is west, and our West is suffering big time. While the East is increasingly dealing with record flooding, the West is drying out. It's a tale of two nations.

How is this affecting you, if at all?

National Drought Monitor

Comments (19)

• pudgeder
    last year

I live in central Oklahoma. Until this last week, we were on the edge drought conditions.

My DD & her husband live in NW Oklahoma, and they are farmers. Suffice to say, the wheat harvest this year will have low yield. With the grain being cut off from Ukraine, you would think they would stand to make a fair profit on their harvest. But between the drought and the cost of fuel it will be a miracle if they break even. Times are tough.

The cost of food is going to continue to sky rocket.

• LynnNM
    last year

We are in mid-Northern New Mexico and are definitely feeling this drought. Thankfully, no major brush fires here so far, but the entire state is praying for good nurishing rains . . . while we shudder at the mere thought of what idiots might cause over the July Fourth holiday.

• Kswl
    last year

We’re in Georgia, above the drought line that seems to define mostly the bottom third of the state. But our temps are so much hotter now that two weeks without rain can kill a lawn. It’s frightening what is hapoening out west.

• nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10
    last year

Southern California is feeling the effects of the prolonged drought.

During the last severe drought the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power restricted outdoor watering to three days per week. This time we’re down to two days a week. Areas not served by LA’s DWP are restricted to one day per week.

Predictions are already being made for a bad fire season. I wonder how effective the water-scooping aircraft will be in areas that depend on lake water to douse fires.

• Lars
    last year
    last modified: last year

We're down to two days a week for watering in L.A. like Nancy, but the Palm Springs area is not having those restrictions. I'm really surprised at how many people have green lawns in Coachella Valley, not to mention the golf courses, but I believe the golf courses are watered with gray water that is not potable.

It looks like New Mexico, Utah, Texas, and Nevada are getting the worst of the drought right now. Parts of Texas seem okay, however, and the state looks very spotty.

• arcy_gw
    last year

We had a pretty cool and wet spring. Word was we were out of the drought but in the last few weeks every time rain is predicted it misses us...90 in June is too hot too soon with no moisture to back it up, well I worry about our farmers and food. If things are high now, a poor harvest will not help.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    last year

We have fallen off the cliff. The armageddon of climate change is only beginning.

• kitasei2
    last year

I have to ssy I have been more and more grateful to be a New Yorker. State policies have made a difference in so many ways, and climate has been the unexpected blessing. Ample precipitation has enabled me to plant shrubs and trees, even roses, without ever having to water. Ferns don’t go brown mid-summer. Containers don’t need constant watering. Add to my gratitude the state’s history of conservation which has preserved much of its natural beauty - the Adirondacks, Catskills, Poconos, Hudson River Valley and New York City‘s own natural areas. Thanks to the Clean Water Act the Hudson is again swimmable. And now I will go out ibto the damp mist to begin puttering.

• cooper8828
    last year

I'm in southern New Mexico. We've been either on the verge of drought or in drought for a few years now. I've been planting trees, but only one or two a year. They require extra watering to get established, so I do it in phases. I think the two I planted this year are probably the last. Also, the house I bought had a lot of Bermuda grass. It's really hard to eradicate but I'm chipping away at it. I've added a lot of drought tolerant shrubs and flowers. We are now on day three or four of a heat advisory; yesterday was 107 and Saturday was 111. We all need to do our part, and it makes me crazy to see all the sprinkler systems running daily to keep lawns really green.

• Trapped
    last year

We are not in a drought condition in northeast OK. In fact we have had endless rain and cooler than normal temps the end of May so my Caladiums were very slow to sprout and I was thinking they may have rotted. A few days ago we flipped, no rain and extreme heat. Yesterday it was 101 and I had to turn on the sprinkler for the first time this year because of a lot of my flower gardens were wilting.

https://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/

You can check your state.

OK is divided in half, the western half of the state is in drought conditions.

• nicole___
    last year

We've had watering restrictions in Colorado for years. 3 X a week. Unlimited hand watering. This used to be our rainy season. Now we're getting rain once a week INSTEAD of every afternoon @ 3pm. I've been digging up lawn @ the rentals and putting in gravel. Gravel has to be weeded....so last week I put down rock salt in the gravel. 😁 I had one HUGE privet, 9' tall...going crazy. The sewer was stopped up with roots....yep....spent THIS weekend cutting the privet down....to save the sewer line.

• blfenton
    last year

. Here in Vancouver and the suburbs we are allowed to water lawns one day a week from 5am to 8am. Shrubs are 3x/week from 5am to 9am but they will do drive-bys to make sure you're not watering the street or your driveway if using a sprinkler.

• pricklypearcactus
    last year

I live in Northern Utah and we are definitely in a long drought and do not expect any reprieve. And we are also experiencing unbelievable growth in population here and especially in our major Southern cities. I honestly do not understand how we can continue such development when we are all aware that the drought is impacting our water.

I have been planting fairly fast growing trees, which unfortunatley do need extra water the first year or two, but in hopes of providing better shade for our yard to reduce our water needs. We are never the ones with the greenest yard in the neighborhood and we try to be reasonable and keep watering to only the months where needed and 2-3x/week and only during the cool late night / early morning hours. We've kept our watering system off as long as we could, but do need to turn it on now that it's getting hot. We did have some cool temperatures late in the early summer this year, but not nearly eough precipitation. And really not enough snowpack this winter which is where we primarily source drinking water for my city.

I wish my city would do more to encourage commercial development to do water-wise planting. I was looking at our newly constructed re-build of a local high school and I was shocked when they put huge amounts of grass between the parking lot and the road. Why? I understand putting some lawn in areas where students might want to congregate, to eat lunch or play ball for example, but who is going to hang out on a long wides strip of grass between a parking lot and a road? Why not plant waterwise plants there instead?

Like @LynnNM I am worried about fireworks. Our entire neighborhood and all of the neighborhoods around us up to the base of the mountains nearby have banned fireworks this year and every one of the past 4 years we've lived here due to fire risk. And yet every single year, I hear fireworks from the houses around me for the week around the 4th and 24th (state holiday), including aerials. Years ago I called the fire department in another neighborhood when we were driving home and saw a huge pine tree on fire from fireworks. I am terrified this could happen to the pine trees in my yard because one of my careless neighbors refuses to abide by the ban. Even worse, someone could catch our mountain watershed on fire.

• Jilly
    last year

Terrible drought conditions in Texas. Triple digits every day, no rain. Blinding sun. We had the driest April on record.

It’s brutal. You know how people get depressed in low-light winter conditions? I’m the opposite. I crave rainy days, cloudy days, just a break from the relentless pounding heat and sun.

Lakes are drying up, ponds and stock tanks (for livestock) are drying up. You know what isn’t drying up? Apartments being built, shopping centers with sprinkler systems and no tenants, huge estates with acres of sprinklers on regularly, subdivisions being built everywhere.

• Barrheadlass
    last year

I am in southeastern Massachusetts, and we are in slight drought…down a few inches from the norm for total rain for the year. My town has had odd/even watering for years, April through September.

• nekotish
    last year

I am in the Pacific Northwest and we are definitely not suffering drought conditions - the opposite acutally. This has been the rainiest/coolest spring weather in my recollection. Very discouraging for gardening and our planned upcoming camping trips but hopefully we will have less forest fires. They were devestating here last summer.

• rich69b
    last year

We are in perpetual drought here in SoCal. But I remember maybe 4-5 years ago that we were out of drought. That lasted for a year or so...

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    last year

Move over this way! Every so often I have to water my yard but not really. Back in 2012ish we had a real hot June and July with maybe 1/4 inch of water.

If I recall correctly some rural folks with strange local conditions were on water restrictions. Here at the confluence of the nation's two largest rivers we were either too dumb* or didn't have any restrictions

*I know we as a region are dumb because the flood plains are magnets to crony developments then we talk about "disaster" when some older levee breaks and something floods.

edit: my drought thread!

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/1680941/metasequoia-defoliating-in-the-drought-bet-if-it-will-make-it

• 3katz4me
    last year

I’m in MN. Last year we had drought, this year we have flooding. About to have our first temps in 90’s and above later today. Enjoying a lovely 60 degrees this morning while I still can before I have to close up and use AC.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting