Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
local_eater

The Tale of the Teeny-Tiny Powder Room - 4/23 Wallpaper is up

localeater
last year
last modified: last year

When DH and I went looking for our next house, I said I need at 1st floor Powder Room. It's OK if there is not a full bath on the 1st floor, but there has to be at least a Powder. And so there is a powder room, albeit a teeny-tiny one.

Actually it is completely fine. It is located well within the floor plan and it serves its purpose. It is boring and I think it needs sprucing up.

This is my floor plan. The powder has no windows, a pocket door, toilet, corner sink.

This is my inspiration.

Traditional Powder Room · More Info

The trim is in great shape as is the tile floor. The tiles are navy-ish, there is a bit of striated texture with some brownish-black tones. Those are not changing. I plan on installing beadboard panelling and painting the current trim color and wallpapering the remainder .

I havent really picked a wallpaper yet, these are two I like and that DH also liked. I would love your thoughts on the concept and suggestions for wallpaper too.

Comments (87)

• Funkyart
    last year

Oh, I am pretty sure the lower DPI would bother me too. The only way i could see it working if it more closely emulated a sketch.. then I think i could embrace it. A blur? No way.

I just saw York Wallpaper added peel and stick designs. I didn't look at the options closely but they definitely had a lot of botanicals.

• localeater
    Original Author
    last year

That’s so funny you say that Annie, about looking in the mirror. Spoonflower sends you nice big samples, and I rotatated them atound the room at different times, and one was just as you say , behind me in the mirror. It is a great perspective.

Funky I’ll look at York.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    last year

Ever since I was looking at wallpaper for this PR, perigold keeps popping up ads. I came across this one ... way too spendy, but something so interesting about the birds...

localeater thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • localeater
    Original Author
    last year

@Funkyart asked for an update on another thread, so here goes. :)

First off, I acknowledge I am SLOW. We are actually still not done, but we've done lots(for us).

New faucet is in, beadboard is in, finished the trim, all is primed, painted, there is a bit of touch up needed and you will spackle spots. I have purchased an adorable mirror. I wanted a narrow mirror which I will mount in the corner. I've decided what art work I want to hang in the space.

No wall paper yet, or maybe ever. DH is strictly in the no wallpaper camp, he is scared by some of our earlier houses where I scraped wallpaper off the ceilings and walls of several rooms. Of course, I am still mulling wallpaper. I still like the Queen Anne's Lace one. I found a colorful one I like, but I think it is too contemporary(house built in 1905). And, I found a vintage butterfly one that has no words on it. I initially

wanted butterflies, but DH nixed the one I found because it had words.

• Sueb20
    last year

I loooove that queen anne’s lace wallpaper!

localeater thanked Sueb20
  • Jilly
    last year

Excited to see an update! It’s looking great, love what you’ve picked out so far. That mirror is so sweet (so is the pillow in the picture!).

The Queen Anne’s Lace paper is lovely, but I’m wondering if the background color clashes with your wainscot color a bit. It could just be my monitor.

localeater thanked Jilly
  • gsciencechick
    last year

I like the butterflies, too. How about some kind of bird toile?

The mirror is so gorgeous! Looking great so far.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    last year

Yes to wallpaper! DH has the same issue with wallpaper....just make sure the walls are properly primed for it and removal should be easier.

Love the queen anne's lace wallpaper by far!

• Funkyart
    last year

Oh you have made great progress! You know I adore the queen anne's lace (swoon) ... but I understand keeping all in the home happy lol. Wallpaper techniques are so different now-- and as Annie says, you can prime.

Can't wait to see where you land!

localeater thanked Funkyart
  • Ded tired
    last year

Another vote for the Queen Anne’s lace. I love your little wall hung sink. I need one like that in my teeny tiny powder room.

localeater thanked Ded tired
  • lascatx
    last year

I've replaced a lot of wallpaper in these last two houses. I've had wallpaper that has peeled off in sheets and wallpaper we finally had to give up on removing. Because of the later, we prep and prime before applying wallpaper. I like the Queen Anne's lace paper. I also like the idea of butterflies, but not that particular paper. Have you looked on Spoonflower? You can get different colorways and some artists will even customize a design. I haven't bought any wallpaper in the last 20 years, so that wasn't even an option then.

• localeater
    Original Author
    last year

The quest for the wallpaper really continues, if I fall completely in love DH gets overruled. And, he's ok with that :).

But, I am not completely in love. Yes, I love the Queen Anne's Lace but it has issues. As Jilly pointed off the color is 'off' it doesn't quite clash, but it is not quite right. I could possibly ignore it. I do think the level of 'activity' in that paper is what I want, and I like its curving swoops. I dont want anything too straight; our house is old and crooked and anything stripey or rectilinear, can look bad because it accentuates the lack of straightness elsewhere. That could be a concern with the butterflies. Hence I continue looking.

The mirror was an Etsy find. I really think it is perfect. It was quite hard to find something narrow enough.

@gsciencechick Yes to birds. I want something that 'fits in.' This is an old house in downeast Maine, and I dont want cutesy lobsters! Lighthouses arent my thing. WIldflowers, birds,nature are all good themes. The style of the Queen Anne's Lace is my style. Friends I show options to immediately say, 'that's so you.' Toile may not be me. Though I have loved toiles.

• Fun2BHere
    last year

I didn't go back and read the whole thread, but did you decide not to use a paper with a dark background like the examples in your original post?

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    last year

I like the ones you labeled 1 and 2 the best.

• Oakley
    last year

Annie, is the orange bathroom yours? I didn't see it earlier.

Local, a powder room is where you can get away with bold, aka colorful. I bet if you didn't look at the orange wallpaper in your inspiration photo you never would have stopped and taken a closer look. Small powder rooms with no windows can be depressing without color. Bite the bullet, do some sort of colorful print. I insist. :)

• Maureen2210
    last year

Have you checked out WallpaperDirect? It is defaulted to UK but there is dropdown menu option for USA.

They have lots of bold paper. There are quite a few of these type prints, must be a name for this design, but IDK, that feature figure or animals in the design in such a way as to not be the main feature, but the way they are used to make a design, like a geometric, for instance. here are just 2, some are less obvious than others.

ok, pic is too big, but at the site just type in unicorns, of all things, lol. you'll have to trust me, it's stunning.

I can spend hours at this site. also, each paper will show in about 5 different rooms, including powder rooms. plus, scroll down to see all the colorways it comes in. I usually search by color. would love to know if this sort of design has a name?

• Feathers11
    last year

I'm in agreement that the background of the QA wallpaper isn't quite right. By itself, it's lovely, but not with your beadboard/trim color. I'm sorry, but I will not offer alternatives suggestions because last time went down a wallpaper rabbit hole, I was MIA for weeks.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

What about an interesting rug and leave the walls as is (with your prints).

• mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

Love it! So much.

localeater thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • Irish2
    last year

It looks GREAT!

localeater thanked Irish2
  • Funkyart
    last year

Looks great -- love it!

localeater thanked Funkyart
  • eld6161
    last year

Wow

localeater thanked eld6161
  • teeda
    last year

That is gorgeous!

localeater thanked teeda
  • rubyclaire
    last year

Beautiful!! Love the paper - where did you find it?

localeater thanked rubyclaire
  • localeater
    Original Author
    last year

@rubyclaire It's Peel and Stick wallpaper from Spoonflower. It is called Yellow Billed Cuckoo, it has an amazing textural look that really sold me on the paper.

• rubyclaire
    last year

Thanks @localeater. I've not tried Peel & Stick. Did you do anything special to ensure adherence?

• localeater
    Original Author
    last year

@rubyclaire The Spoonflower website talks about wall prep. Your walls need to be smooth, not textured. There are also certain types of paint finish that are recommended, and others that are cautioned. I am hopeful. It's a small space and just a powder room. If it was a steamy bathroom I might be more concerned.

• sas95
    last year

It looks just perfect!

localeater thanked sas95
  • maddielee
    last year

Great!

localeater thanked maddielee
  • Olychick
    last year

Beautiful!! The paint is a great match, too.

localeater thanked Olychick
  • DLM2000-GW
    last year

Love the whole look - perfection!

localeater thanked DLM2000-GW
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    last year

That is so pretty!

localeater thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • Jilly
    last year

Oh, wow! It’s amazing, just perfect. Love it, great choice!

localeater thanked Jilly
  • barncatz
    last year

The paper is fabulous!

localeater thanked barncatz
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    last year

Well done!

localeater thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • Feathers11
    last year

It's perfect! I love it. And thank you for the info on the paper itself. I need to wallpaper something now!

localeater thanked Feathers11
  • Kitch4me
    last year

Very pretty! Nice job!

localeater thanked Kitch4me
  • lizbeth-gardener
    last year

Love your choice! Very nice.

localeater thanked lizbeth-gardener
  • jakabedy
    last year

It’s beautiful.

localeater thanked jakabedy
  • chickadee2_gw
    last year

That looks terrific! It’s perfect. Check out the wall mounted soap dispensers they’re selling these days.. My daughter has a tiny bathroom under the stairs in her house and I’ve been meaning to get her to pick one out. It’s hard to balance pump bottles on those tiny sinks. Bar soap really gets messy when you have little kids and their friends around.

localeater thanked chickadee2_gw
  • Kitchenwitch111
    last year

Great choice! Love it

localeater thanked Kitchenwitch111
  • Kswl
    last year

Lovely!

localeater thanked Kswl
  • Allison0704
    last year

So pretty! Have you ever hung wallpaper before? I really want to do our powder room, which is so tiny. I don't know if it can be donw with the small area, high ceilings and chandelier. Not much room for a ladder.

localeater thanked Allison0704
  • amykath
    last year
    last modified: last year

I love it! That wallpaper is stunning. It truly looks perfect. I am beyond impressed by your skills.

localeater thanked amykath
  • localeater
    Original Author
    last year

@Allison0704 @amykath Thank you. It really isnt too hard. I have hung wallpaper before, for my mother when I was probably 15. She handed me the rolls, and a tub of wallpaper paste and said do this. It really isn't complicated, it's fiddly. The wallpaper I used was very easy to work with. They print the specific # of rolls you want, and they have varying lengths you can order depending on ceiling height. Pattern-wise the top of every roll is the same. This makes it very easy to pattern match. Cutting around outlets and obstacles, like thermostat, is a little hard. Working in a small space is challenging. The first thing they tell you on the Spoonflower website, is 'recruit a friend.' Well there is no way two people were fitting in my powder room. Fortunately I also watched a video on YouTube and she started with, "I am going to do this by myself, it's perfectly OK to do this with 1 person." She actually also addressed my biggest concern was how to handle the fact that my house is crooked, it's over 100 years and there is not a true, plumb, wall anywhere. She stressed not to line up to the ceiling, but to drop a plumbline and line up your first strip to that. That definitely helped me. I also, deliberately picked a pattern that had swoops and curves to hide my home's quirks.

• Allison0704
    last year

Thanks for the info.

• ilikefriday
    last year

Wow. Fabulous!

localeater thanked ilikefriday
  • texanjana
    last year

I love it!

localeater thanked texanjana
  • Yayagal
    last year

It's beyond lovely, you made a good choice, it's stunning.

localeater thanked Yayagal