FIND PROFESSIONALS

family room decisions

Karen Wilkinson

I have some items in my family room that looks country which is around the fireplace and it really doesn’t have any color to it. But yet my lamp which in the picture if you can see is leopard collar gray does not look country. I like the pillows I have but I need more color to the room and rug help

• territheresa

Add some golden yellow pillows or throw, Etc. To tie in the warmth of your wood trim and flooring.

• Susan

In looking at this space, the fireplace stone is the focal point. It reads rustic contemporary. Your upholstered seating works with the fireplace, but you first need to figure out a furniture layout, including the tv, anchored by the rug (front legs of all furniture on the rug). If the budget permits, a rug in a contrasting but complimentary color would tie everything together. Fill in with contemporary or rustic side tables/lamps/media cabinet/decor, and a large real floor plant.

Family Room - Need Help Decorating/Furnishing this Family Room

I would recommend to begin with resurfacing the fireplace, hang a mirror above it and place some nice figurines on the shelve above it. The TV would move to the wall closer to the windows. Organize a cozy sitting area around the fire place with rugs and coffee table

Need help with 2 storey family room design decision.

There isn't any particular design for the fire place. The fire place will be raised by 8'' with a few tiles around it. Is tray ceiling in 2 story family considered normal? Your thoughts please?

Help in decision on painting family room bookcases and fireplace

Hard to judge without seeing the rest of the room but...... -TV needs to be centered...it looks unbalanced. -your wood is beautiful....I would hate to see paint ruin the details by being 'thick' from brushing instead of spraying. -keep your wood, and change your furniture. Keep the chest. -invest in lighter coloured sofas/chairs /w cream coloured rug. -do you need all sofas, as looks too close to cabinet doors? -decrease shelf stuff....keep books to lower 2-3 shelves and 'sparsely' decorate the tops. Keep weight balanced between sides.

Decisions, decisions, decisions! Kitchen remodel dilemma!

Take a look at Quartz. Zodiac in particular has some really nice options that mimic marble. We used one of them in this gorgeous kitchen! Good luck! We are located near Cincinnati, Oh. If you are close by stop in and we can show you samples. Follow us on Houzz to see more great kitchen projects.
  • territheresa

Window treatments would add another layer.

• shirlpp

What is that behind the chair? Does it belong in the fireplace area?

I'd remove everything from the fireplace and possibly add leaning artwork on the mantel.

That lamp is glam and lovely. What direction do you want to go?

BeverlyFLADeziner

The room has some issues starting with the layout of furnishings. I'm trying to figure out the reasoning for your placement and wall decor but it escapes me. Try this layout instead. I had to guess on some issues because you don't show the total room but I think I am pretty close on this layout.

Your room is NOT country, but get rid of the leopard lamp. First, based on the size of your furnishings, it's WAY TOO SMALL. The precious white table has no place in this room either. Send it to a bedroom. You have HUGE scaled seating and any tables next to the seating have to be complementary in scale.

When you have a corner fireplace and want a TV in the room there are only so many options that work. Get your furnishings placed on the edges of the rug. Your rug might be a bit small for your room. A 9x12 would have probably been a better size for this room

Here are some pillow covers from ETSY that would bring more color to the room. I agree that drapery panels could also go a long way in adding color to this two-tone room.

Here is a guide for how big the table and table lamp should be when placed together.

BeverlyFLADeziner

I don't find your rug objectionable, except for the size, however, selecting a rug with some additional colors would have gone a long way to establishing a different color scheme & different ambiance for your room.

• RedRyder

Agree with @BeverlyFLADeziner. A more colorful rug and pillows will make the room more friendly. If you send your exact measurements - indicating windows and doors,etc. - you will get amazing help from the pros. Soft colored drapes will help a lot.

• Karen Wilkinson

Thank you for the cpmmo

• Amanda Smith

Agree with Beverley’s comments. Could that fireplace stone be white-washed?

• RedRyder

Agree the wall in a creamy white would brighten up the space.

• mcarroll16

I can't tell from your original post whether "country" is a style you want to lean into, or away from. If you don't want country, painting the trim white would help. Can you change the fireplace surround? It's kind of odd, and it looks like something bolted on awkwardly to the original fireplace. Replacing that with a more conventional surround would open up more style possibilities.

And what Beverly said, of course. She's always fantastic.

• chloebud

Great suggestions here. You might also consider simplifying the fireplace area. There’s a lot of pattern in the stone, and a single piece of art could be enough for the mantel with very little on the hearth.

BeverlyFLADeziner

Have you moved the rug and furnishings to see if the plan suggested works for your room?

• Karen Wilkinson

I cannot change the color of the walls nor paint the fireplace. My husband would kill me lol. I really don’t want it to be country and the only reason I said this is because I felt like the fireplace looked somewhat country with the stuff on it. I’m new to this so I’m not sure how to respond to everybody

• mcarroll16

No need to paint the fireplace. The stone itself could swing MCM or lodge, or probably some other things. Change the other elements as much as your able to get a different look.

• decoenthusiaste

There's a definite masculine vibe to the seating and fireplace. Remove the lighter weight cottage style items like the table and decor at the fireplace. Lean into the lodge look based on Beverly's layout plan. Have you tried that rug in a bedroom? You really do need a larger one so the seating can be anchored on it.

• chloebud

“I really don’t want it to be country and the only reason I said this is because I felt like the fireplace looked somewhat country with the stuff on it.”

In that case I would simplify the stuff. Some art that might work with the colors in the stone and walls (and appeals to you) could be nice. Just the art over the mantel…nothing else. The lodge look deco mentioned would also be a good fit.

• RedRyder

A lighter rug will help a lot. Some ideas.

• justcallmepool

I think your wall color and the wood trim has a craftsman look imo. There's a regular poster on here who has an amazing Craftsman style home and decor. Is it chispa? Does anyone know?

If we find out, maybe you can browse their ideabooks or threads to get an idea if that style works for you. It doesn't have to be "country".

I'm not sure where Beverly put the tv in her furniture arrangement, but I wonder if it could go in the corner where the white side table is, then have your sofa facing the windows between it and the fireplace, with chairs situated on each side.

I love the 2nd rug she posted.

• Sonja Suitor

When putting together my rooms I find it immensely helpful to decide on a style — yours seems to be rustic. And so the table and lamp and candlesticks to my eye are out of place in this room. As a novice, I try to keep the color wheel in mind. Those walls give you a LOT of color and altho reddish would be a complimentary color it wouldn’t work in large quantities in your room tho some red in a rug might work. All that leather furniture give you a lot of sheen. I think texture in the form of creamy, fluffy pillows and a throw would do a lot for the room and tie in with the other colors of the fireplace. I love that fireplace and would tie every other color into complimenting it. To my eye wooden window frames & white windows capture too much attention when they should fade into the background. I’d paint them so they’d become less noticeable. This is a very pretty and very challenging room — good luck!!

• motupeg

Karen, I am not a decorator but wanted to say you had a lot of information just given to you. Perhaps start by looking for a rug that has a little of the blue/green in it and then re-post. The designers here will help you put it all together. I’d love to see your room as it progresses.

• Amanda Smith

Here’s a color scheme you might consider.

Carol Jean

It's to dark lighten everything

• Karen Wilkinson

Thank you for all the ideas I am on a budget somewhat but I know I need a bigger different rug. I will post where I have the tv now in a bit. I did try putting it in the corner where the white table is however I could not get the cable hooked up there.

Beth H. :

sorry, but that wall color w/the fireplace is not working. (it's very 1995 along w/your wood trim)

The fireplace flagstone is driving the bus in this room, so your wall color should be toned down to work w/it, not against it.

similar slate flagstone. see the wall color? see the wood mantle w/a mirror (or art) above? This is what you want

another stone fireplace w/wood mantel and neutral wall color:

But, if you want that wall color, then consider painting your wood trim white and limewashing the stone, just slightly. (more on that later)

You're better off doing a lighter, neutral wall color, and bringing in those blue/greens w/accessories. pillows, and the rug beverly posted would work.

The muted gray rug and furniture is too monotone and really doesn't work w/the wall color.

I'd do the walls in something like these, AND paint out that trim in white.

These would all work w/the stone. Personally I think painting out the oak trim white would look better, but that's my opinion.

not exactly the same stone, but it's similar enough. you see how this creamy white lets the stone be the star? I love the wood beams on the ceiling and the soft white furniture.

you see how this neutral wall is the perfect backdrop for the all the plants, art, textured items in the room?

As for the fireplace stone, you could choose to lighten up your mortar joints. That would brighten up the room.

here's an example of lighter joints with an actual wood mantel, not the white one you currently have

You could opt to lightly whitewash the stone. It would actually look pretty good.

show your husband some pictures. Romabio has a light limewash you could try.

Ignore the tv and crowded artwork on this one, but I think the stone looks great.

Want to see how she did it? Cost was under $100.

https://www.uglyducklinghouse.com/diy-stone-fireplace-makeover/

Here's the before shot.

This was also limewashed w/Romabio Classico. You can choose to do a very light, soft coverage.

I think ifyou did that, painted the walls, brought in a wood mantel, you'd have a lovely looking room.

do your blue/greens w/the accessories and art.

Some other looks. (I'm just showing you options. Up to you what you like and want to try)

Mortar wash

painting w/a good masory paint will get you this result. The before shot is much worse than yours

I actually really like this heavy mortar/lime application to this stone.

If you do repaint the walls, and limewashed the stone, here are some furniture ideas and accessories to give you the look you're after

see the window trim on this one and how it's done in white? Bring in warm tones like shown in the picture directly above. textured rugs/ wood table, pillows, etc

https://athoughtfulplaceblog.com/how-to-limewash-a-stacked-stone-fireplace/

I really like the look of this room too

try the natural wood beam mantel, some textured items like the rug (try layering two like shown) , a throw, a pouf (HomeGoods has great prices on these decorative items) a potted tree (you have height in this room so get something tall for the corner.

• tozmo1

If you just add a rug like the ones @BeverlyFLADeziner suggested, you'll have a great room. Fireplace is great, you're so lucky the mortar is a neutral color not black like a lot of that era. Pick your battles is my motto so if changing the walls is a no go for hubby, let it go and tie it together with a rug as suggested. And then when you use hubby's truck to pick up a crazy thing you bought at an estate sale, he won't mind at all when he helps haul it into the house. Wait! That's me. 😂

All the best to you on your lovely home.

• Amanda Smith

I agree with Beth that the room feels very 90’s. If you can, I would paint the walls and trim white and white-wash the fireplace.

• hu818472722

This Caroll persian style synthetic rug from Pottery Barn might work as it looks to be a lighter version of your wall color, hard to tell exactly on the computer monitor. If you buy the smaller size to try in your space it's easier than lugging around the 8 x 10 size!

The kitchen below has a similar stone (German schmear maybe?) as your fireplace with a creamy paint color on the cabinets. On YouTube there is a "DIY Old World German Schmear stone fireplace" makeover that is interesting.