Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mik974

painting or German schmear fireplace brick

mik974
last year

Looking for input on painting our brick fireplace brick or try German schmear method

Comments (10)

• Verbo
    last year

The weird orange oak seems to be a far bigger issue than the pretty nice traditional red brick.

• Sammie J
    last year

Your brick is fairly neutral ... I would start first by doing something with the big mantel supports and updating the firebox!

To give advice re: the brick, can you step back and show us a pic of the entire fireplace, as well as a room shot so we can see your other decor?

• mik974
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks for the reply! I think more of a rustic beam mantle would be more our style. I will provide requested pictures

• mik974
    Original Author
    last year

Here is fairly wide shot of fireplace

• acm
    last year

That seems a bit extreme, Louis.

I don't see that paint or schmear have any real justification in terms of overall style, especially with cabinets right up against there. I'd just replace the mantel with something simpler, paint the grate/screen black (rustoleum), and call it a day. maybe replace all the little decor with one nice picture hanging above the mantel.

• Maureen
    last year
    last modified: last year

German schmear is very busy.

I find that when you make one update, it usually triggers a need to make other changes, so recommend stepping back (if interested), as it’s a good opportinity to consider small, but impactful changes and also increased organization.

Fireplace: Paint or limewash brick white and firebox black. Change mantle/stain to match cabinet’s surface and edit accessories. Add a large wicker basket on hearth for toys, which will also off set firebox placement.

Cabinetry: suggest painting same color as fireplace and room will feel larger and cabinetry will be more connected in the space. Add bins on top for improved organization and more interest.

TV: moving above fireplace will improve viewing and where TV was, add floating shelves for your photos. If TV can’t be moved, I’d lower and still place all the photos together somewhere.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

IMO the brackets holding the mantel are the worst part of the fireplace so maybe remove the mantel and the brackets and see how it looks . german schmear can look really bad if you have never done it before IMO just paint the brick instaed if you must .

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last year

Yep those brackets are distracting and too large.

German Schmear can be as light or as heavy as you like. See two examples below

• Jilly
    last year
    last modified: last year

What Patricia said. I’d only do the schmear if you’re a very competent diy’er. Once it’s on, it’s on. Permanent.

I also agree with Maureen that’s too busy in this situation and would be a very bossy design element unless other things are changed. I don’t think it fits this room at all.