Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
icedana

700 square foot apartment with only windows north-west

icedana
last year

Hi,
I bought a stunning apartment (pre-war, quiet street on the park, garden) but the trade-off is its a long rectangle shape and I only have windows at the back leading onto the garden (facing north west). (The wall with the windows is around 22 feet wide.) I need to remodel everything and I'm trying to work out if I want to have a 1 bedroom with a walk in closet does it make most sense to have a windowless bedroom (there's no code preventing it here and it's my forever home) or kitchen or something else?
Thanks!

Comments (12)

• freedomplace1
    last year

If you are remodeling an entire apartment, you need to hire professionals. Even if you post a floor plan and pics of the place - no one is going to sit here and do all this work for free.

• M Riz
    last year
    last modified: last year

I can guarantee you that if you post a drawing of the floor plan, people here will absolutely give you an idea of what is possible. You wont get the level of detail needed, you need an archtect but ideas are free here. good luck.

• decoenthusiaste
    last year

Photos and floor plans will generate lots of food for thought.

• happyleg
    last year

The kitchen could be at sliding door with table in front of it. Living room in middle with bath on either side( 2 access doors) ) to bathroom. Bedroom at end.

• shirlpp
    last year

Please post pics.

• acm
    last year

Really hard to pick just one room to have windows. Are you sure you can wake up in the dark? I mean, sure, I'd like to sit on the couch and look out the windows, but I know morning people who've slept until noon in a windowless room. If you do that, get a serious sun lamp on a timer!!

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

I need a to scale floor plan showing those windows in a picture and also many things have to be considered since this design will also need to know where plumbing is , where the kitchen is situated . You will get lots of free advice here .

• PRO
    RappArchitecture
    last year

A 22-foot wide exposure will allow for windows in two rooms max. I absolutely would not want to sleep in a "cave" with no natural light, so the bedroom should abut this wall. A 10-ft wide bedroom will allow about 12 feet for the living room, which I would arrange with a dining area behind and then the kitchen. But everyone here is right that you will get more useful advice if you post a floor plan and pictures.

• PRO
    Archtie
    last year

Hey, the only way to give you better images of the apartment is through 3d modeling and rendering

• PRO
    ZebraBlinds
    last year

For your windows, if you have an issue with the evening sun we do have several windows covering ideas on how to prevent the sunlight from becoming an issue. You don't even have to sacrifice your view and the natural light coming in!

• ratherbeatthebeach
    last year

I understand wanting daylight in the living areas, but I couldn't sleep at night knowing my bedroom had no window. What if there were a fire while I was asleep? Or if it's below grade, what if there's a flood? Can you split the exterior wall into two rooms so the bedroom and the living areas each get a window?

Sponsored
2 Navy Lane, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Interior Designer