Shop Products

HOUSE TOUR: Inside a Glamorously Gut-Renovated Home

Gizmo

Have fun - everytime she says 'so'...take a drink ;-)

Her LR gave me Sister Parrish vibes w/the pattern mixing, but IMO didn't quite hit that level of sophistication

I do give her major kudos for going there w/her ID and not playing it safe

• Kswl

I wish I hadn’t seen that picture off her, and the caption.

Andy Wharhol was a prescient genius but i think even he would be surprised by the utter banality of this kind of self promotion. Ick.

• Jinx

I took it as her doing it as a joke.

Houzz helped renovate my entire home bringing it out of the eighties.

If it gets better when we enter the front door LET US IN! We want to peek at the rest! Teasing you . . . Just trying to emphasize the WOW factor of your before and after - Spectacular! Really Spectacular!

Prefab house or stick-built house?

Hi, we built a prefab wood house (low energy house) and I have to say that this was a perfect choice. I had been living in a classic brick house for 18 years and there is really huge difference in living. Humidity comfort and the whole feeling is really excellent. You are right if you say that prefabs are much more cheaper and of course also quicker ( 4 months to built it) than classic constructions. They are of course durable (we got a guarantee 30 years) and regarding weather resistance - it is excellent. Comparable with a classic house. But of course, you have to choose a good company, otherwise you could be also very disappointed. You can check my blog where I describe the whole building process of prefab-wood house step-by-step. www.relaxator.eu Cheers!

1900's School House Renovation / Remodel

lead and asbestos is a problem for pros. Your idea of containing it by adding a new wall layer is something I have heard my husband talk about on some building additions. Other projects he said it would have saved the client money to remove and rebuild. This would a gorgeous re do but you need some expert advice on some of the issues.

Elegant Upper East Side Gut Renovation!

Oh come on now, what two people are going to be sitting on those chairs to have a conversation? Look, the design is lovely, but I do have a pet peeve when things just get added for basically looks, especially when the idea comes from designers. I still think the cabinet should have continued to the wall ( more storage!) and the other chair simply removed.
  • Kswl

Oh…I doubt it. Reading that I think throwing in ”absurd” was an edit in an attempt to make it look less like what it is. The question is why— not why not,

• Jinx

I doubt she was seriously posing that way. Looks to me like she was just having fun and being silly.

• Kswl

I gues this is a agree to disagree situation. From the house tour video and the contents of the home and her descriptions I would say she is not the type to want to portray herself as silly. Take away the ‘protest too much’ caption and you have the reason for the photograph— the photograph.

• Ida

As a snarky aside, I'll just leave this right here. Some might return to this and find Hollis a refreshing palate cleanser.

https://atthecooltable.com/thanks-i-hate-it-turtle-creek-lane/#:~:text=Turtle%20Creek%20Lane%20is%20Jen,showers%2C%20and%20National%20Nacho%20Day.

• Jinx

Ugh. Being in D/FW, I’ve heard a lot about them from verified insiders, things that most don’t see. They are a despicable family for many reasons, but have people fooled with their squeaky clean online images.

• Ida

But don't forget to "Giggle".

• barncatz

Well, I love the wallpaper in the room @Ida posted above. I would not call the style "glamorous". In fact I consider the pillows in that room the opposite of glamorous. Thanks for the post, Gizmo. I realized I'm always fascinated by the textiles and fabrics and their detailing.

I was curious about Ms. Loudon living in Loudonville (DH has always threatened to put a sign up on our rural corner proclaiming "Entering the Town of Buttons" - Buttons being our deceased beagle/basset, but also threatened to post a sign on our other boundary reading ("Leaving [neighbor's name] ...ville"). (Our neighbor has two sons and a brother living at the other end of our valley.)

Anyway, I googled and discovered that the tragic Henry Rathbone, (in Lincoln's box at Ford's Theater and memorialized in Henry and Clara by Thomas Mallon - highly recommended!) had lived in Loudonville. Nothing on Wikipedia about Ms Loudon or her field.

• pricklypearcactus

I like some of the wallpaper choices, like the "green room" and the kitchen. But overall I think the style is too busy for me. Though overall the look is quite cohesive throughout the house and seems to work together as a whole.

@DLM2000-GW I am also thoroughly confused by her "the front of the house is the back of the house" statements. My best guess would be that there isn't room for a foyer at the front of the house so they made the back area a foyer even though the front door is still on the front of the house. Maybe??

• barncatz

^^ Thanks, @pricklypearcactus. That whole thing made my head hurt. I was also stopped by her initial statement that the foyer was a nice place to have a drink - I usually let guests access interior rooms before refreshments are offered - but then she clarified it with her party/entertaining comment. Phew.

• Kswl

Ida, you’re killing me! I am going to have nightmares about the person in this photo:

A modern Insta witch looking for Hansel and Gretel!

• OllieJane

I actually liked quite a bit of the tour and learned a few new things. I LOVED the powder room-except the black and white check decor item on the vanity. The room was very elegant-but that needs to go-makes it look Mary Englebright-ish. I LOVED the tortoise wallpaper-I WILL use that at some point! And, that green wallpaper on the ceiling is the perfect green with black!

I couldn't live in a house that is so over-the-top like that, but it had a few great decor ideas. I thought she was a really good decorator and the colors and patterns she used, worked well together, if you like this style.

I think it was a great idea to frame things like the Hermes scarf, etc - makes things interesting. I liked the way she set the two dressers next to each other-I wouldn't have thought of that.

I think it had some great carpentry in it and with that being my husband's forte'- I thought some of it was special. Especially the powder room wainscotting-I loved the very deep trim running across the top-very rich-looking.

I didn't mind listening to her at all. I was more busy looking at the rooms and I liked the way she explained it all.

As far as the comment about her "not' being silly, I think she is...she mentioned they called her mom "Alice" as in Alice in Wonderland-so sounds like her and her family has a sense of humor and was a lot of fun. But, I did not like the Alice in Wonderland "stuff"-looked like a kid's room, but I realize it must be a homage to her mother-so I like the story behind it.

I didn't get the influencer vibe at all in the video-but who cares if she is??

Oh, and I LOVED her dress!

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!

These house tours beg for commentary. That is their purpose here. They are not instruction manuals. They are like show houses, fodder for decorating thoughts.

I think that since IDs and our slice if Gw is dominated by women, we are less likely to speak disparagingly of men.

I for one have not cared for most of the men's houses shown on these videos. I only really liked the guy who was a photographer with a house in the Hudson Valley, and when I say I like something, it does not mean I would want it.

I rarely voice my dislikes anyway, but have absolutely not with the men for that reason.

I agree that women can be awful to one another, but I have never seen any evidence of that kind of behavior in this group.

• roarah

As to woman in this group I do not see us doing it to each other but it is an on going theme to pick on the younger women for their speech patterns, dresses and career paths in these videos yet the men get no personally negative remarks at all. I have no issue with disliking their interiors but commenting on speech, looks, life styles and attire is uncalled for always regardless of gender and we are doing it to the females only. Voice, diction and even annoying habits are incredibly hard to change and to me is like teasing someone’s weight or size of their nose. It is too personal and uncalled for.

As to correcting uptalk many feminist disagree that it is ok to do. The belief that it is ok and necessary to advise women to eliminate the style of speaking entirely in order to be taken seriously in and out of the workplace, is considered very ill-advised guidance stemming from patriarchal, sexist beliefs.

• Erin Smith

@roarah - Hi! My name is Erin and I’m struggling with the same A/C problem you posted about 3 years ago. I’m sorry for being a stalker but would you be willing to talk to me? I’d love to know what the resolution with the return air was. I’m desperate so thank you in advance!

• pricklypearcactus

@barncatz I'm laughing trying to picture myself handing guests a cocktail as they walk in my foyer. Usually I'm busy trying to keep my dog calm enough not to jump on guests. Adding a beverage into the mix sounds like a recipe for disaster. I guess with a center hall layout where the foyer is the bridge between two different entertaining spaces maybe you would end up with people gathering there with their drinks. Still funny though.

• roarah

Hi Erin my ac issues were corrected last year by redoing all copper piping and wrap. Turns out my brand new system was losing refrigerant due to an industry wide issue of the piping insulation used actually corroding the copper pipes thus causing leaks. If your system was installed before last year it is possible this is why. I worked directly with Mitsubishi not my dealer for resolution. Mitsubishi insisted on emptying my system refrigerant and weighing it. I had lost over 10% of the refrigerant over just a matter of months in what is suppose to be a close loop system so it was totally redone with new pipes and better insulation. Good luck.

• Ida

There are often varying levels of acceptance here when celebrities, influencers, or even strangers who pump out online content are criticized. I don't think that those of us who expressed an opinion about the woman in this video are wrong for doing so, but YMMV. I haven't personally criticized a man for uptalking because I haven't seen a video posted here where that happened. Speech affectations such as hers are largely habit and can be changed with consistent practice. Some people care about the impact of good public speaking and some do not. Some people don't mind listening to a voice where someone has an affectation and some do. I used to attend Toastmasters meetings and the uptalk was not tolerated, but could be satisfactorily coached out of existence.

• Erin Smith

Thanks so much for responding! I was curious about how in August 3 years ago you said you had a ‘return air issue’ that was causing high humidity on your second floor. I assume this cooper pipe issue is different?

• roarah

Uptalk was not tolerated because it is considered a female trait that is why I, and many others, have issue for it being deemed something more, in addition to looks and weight, a woman needs to change to be accepted. And i find it even sadder that it is other women mainly who feel it is ok to shame another woman for doing it.

• Ida

A female trait? I disagree. I see it as a trait denoting uncertainty and a lack of self-confidence. But I'm not going to keep arguing, since clearly we hold different viewpoints and obtain our advice from disparate sources.

And do you really find it sad that a woman holds a different point of view than yours? Shaming? Seems like you're the one doing the shaming here.

• roarah

Uptalk is societally linked to women and policing it is considered another way to try and change young women to fit into a male ruled world. There has been a decades’ long movement to stop the policing of how many women naturally talk.

• Ida

Ok, roarah. Well. Have a nice remainder of the afternoon. 🙂

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!

Is uptalk really how women naturally talk? I hear it differently, as women attempting to ingratiate themselves through a form of babytalk.

• roarah

I have to run to pick my teen up from sailing and do not have time to post links. Here are a few pieces to read that helped me see how damaging critizing someone’s speech can be.

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!

I think there is a difference between criticizing someone's speech and discussing it. If you listen to old newscasters you'll hear very different mannerism than the ones you hear now. Precluding people from discussing these mannerisms is hard for me to understand.

I worked at the CBS News bureau in Dallas back in the early 90s when Scott Pelley was a reporter there. Do you think we teased him about his big important TV newsman voice? You bet we did, all the time.

• Erin Smith

Hi roarah - At the risk of being a pain, just following up thinking you may have missed my last comment. The issue I’m having is high humidity, and you said 3 years ago your installer found a return vent issue. Would you be so kind as to elaborate on what they did? I’m assuming this return issue is different than the copper pipe issue from 1 year ago. Thanks for putting up with me!

• jojoco

When I was in college, I spent half of my junior year in Ireland. At the time, women seemed very second class citizens (in part because of religion.) No birth control, abortions were illegal and it seemed that most women (at least the ones in the family I lived with for four months and lots of others,) voiced an opinion with a question mark at the end, ie, "Ah, tis a beautiful day, isn't it?" It drove me crazy and saddened me. I can't stand it when women do that--I want to tell them their opinions are weighty and matter. That they, (the women,) have substance but their cadences suggest a lack of confidence.

• Kswl

“Uptalk is societally linked to women and policing it is considered another way to try and change young women to fit into a male ruled world. There has been a decades’ long movement to stop the policing of how many women naturally talk.”

I disagree caregorically. Plenty of women speak with accents or in dialect that are not shamed or coached out of existence unless an English teacher takes on that job in the classroom OR if the person themselves wants to sound more mainstream and seeks coaching. Vocal fry and uptalk are two completely different things. The former, as I understand it, is actually harmful to the vocal cords over time. It is not innate but is adopted as a method of speaking from peers. Children do not have vocal fry. Uptalk is a style of speech that seems to have evolved from the Valley Girl affectstions of the 1980’s, a deliberately annoying and attention getting mechanism for teen agers to mark their time and place in the world. Uptalk does sound hesitant and is the antithesis of confidence. If we want to empower young women we should teach them not to deliberately affect a vocal style that puts them at a distinct disadvantage in the world. Shaming? No — but if a girl does this to sound younger or more vulnerable or dumber than she is she needs support and instruction. Elocution was once a basic course of study in all schools and we would probably all still benefit from it.

• Ida

I've been giving this much more thought than it really warrants, but I keep coming back to an opinion along the lines of what Kswl expressed regarding uptalking. It is not the same thing as an inherent physical trait. It is a learned, habituated affectation. There is no reason that anyone should be expected to normalize statements being spoken as questions. Would it ever be appropriate to hear, for example, a police officer say, "You're under arrest? You have the right to remain silent? Anything you say can and will be used against you ...?" Certainly not. The English language is ever-evolving (and not necessarily for the better IMO), but it is a fact that statements and questions are different communications and contain different inflections. It is not cruel or "shaming" to prefer questions to go up at the end and statements to sound differently. It is an understandable objection to a habit. It would, of course, be cruel to belittle a young woman to her face for speaking in such a way, but there are ways to guide towards improvement.

Not every woman aspires to lead, but I've never heard a female CEO engage in uptalking. It's not a physical trait that "can't be helped", and a "feminist" assertion that it should be embraced lest younger women feel they're being coerced into a patriarchal mold completely misses the mark in my estimation. I'm a feminist, and I don't want to hear uptalking, particularly in a professional environment.

• K Laurence

Wow! Some of the comments on here are appalling. I suppose it’s the anonymity of the internet that is responsible. I wasn’t paying attention to her manner of speech, so what?, I was interested in seeing her house. It’s not my style ( I live in a very modern glass box , no drapes, minimal furniture & colorful art ), however, I enjoyed seeing her house, it was interesting ( to me ) & I’m sure she’s happy with it.

• Ida

Most of us responding have known one another in this forum for a very long time. We aren't "anonymous". We share our opinions on a host of topics. So sorry that that's offensive to you.

• OllieJane

K Laurance, Ditto! It was a DECOR video, she seemed very relatable and I would think MOST people would enjoy it. She was the owner of the home. She doesn't have to be some corporate CEO type to speak about the home she lives in and decorated. We aren't robots.

• barncatz

If Ms. Loudin had posted her home, I would agree that comments on her appearance or voice would be unwarranted or even appalling. The homeowners in these videos are performing. Homeworthy is a subscription You Tube channel. As such, some of us viewing the videos comment on the hosting performance, the decorative choices, the minutiae of the presentation or even larger cultural implications triggered by some aspect of the video, not always favorably, as with any performance.

Neither the Homeworthy Host nor the homeowners give a fig about our opinions but are undoubtedly pleased that the clicks rose. PS I find the initial intonation of "Like and subscribe for more" grating.

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!

Talk about policing speech!

• OllieJane

Everyone. Must. Talk. And. Speak. The. Same. Because. I. Said. So. We. Are. Robots.

<That is my robot talk LOL>

• Ida

🤪🙄

• OllieJane

^^^EEK! One of your eyes is much larger than the other and your tongue is hanging out. You might get that checked out. LOL

• suero

It's best to watch with the sound off and captions on. The captions are auto-generated, so they can get really funny.

• K Laurence

Ida… so you think that being on this forum makes you not”anonymous “??? Really? How many times have you spoken to each other ( other than on this forum ), had lunch or dinner, drinks, etc. , with them ? I found the comments to be petty, mean spirited & misogynistic. That was offensive to me.

• Kswl

KLaurence, your definition of ”not anonymous” is very old school. Maybe we haven’t had lunch— although some have—but many of the participants on this particular subforum have been posting for years, even decades. We have communicated in depth during that time on a variety of topics that range far afield from home decor. We do know each other much better than you probably realize. Your short posting history suggests that you haven’t been here very long. You might want to wait a bit and read more before throwing around words like misogynist at this particular group of women (and a few pretty evolved men).

• roarah

Some of us have met before regionally. Although I try to listen to what is said rather than focus on how it is said, there were comments made, that although not what I believe personally, did make me think. I know all the posters with differing opinions to mine to be sincere and insightful people on line and in some cases off line.

• Jinx

I do personally know two of the posters above — Ida and Zalco — and these words, “petty, mean spirited & misogynistic”, could not be further from the truth where they are concerned.

Both are two of the most kind-hearted, generous, wise, and all around wonderful people I’ve ever known. Either would be the first to help others out, no matter what.

We certainly don’t all have to agree on things, nor always like what others post, but those labels are unwarranted here.

Linguistics is a topic long been researched, extensively studied, and debated throughout history. That’s what I see happening here.

• Kswl

Well said, Rorah. I absolutely respect your opinion on the topics we’ve discussed here specifically even though we disagree. And do agree that criticizing how people speak is a poor way to change behavior when often there are underlying issues that need to be addressed with tact and compassion. Not all the speech patterns and/ or affectations we’ve discussed are fads, but not all are indications of lack of confidence either. I know I am very influenced by the opinions of my daughter who in her early 30’s is in a male dominated profession with fewer than 10% female representation.

I will offer one last thought on the topics of vocal fry and uptalk, my opinion and theory only, and that is as there are fewer opportunities to sing the variety and prevalence of such patterns will increase. Group singing used to be a very common activity— in churches, schools, and families. It’s no longer a widespread form of entertainment and many young children are no longer taught to sing. People who enjoy singing, either in informal groups or school choruses or hymns or at home, do not seem to develop the type of vocal anomalies we’ve been discussing.

• roarah

Vocal fry is often a breathing issue in many cases not always learned. Speech therapists have been treating it for longer than it has been a trend. As an adult who spent over a year in speech therapy after my stroke I can tell everyone relearning how to properly speak is not an easy task. Changing my body size would have been far easier so just like people are sensitive not to body shame women I think trying to accept someone’s speech inflections might go a long way in promoting a healthier and kinder society.

• jojoco

I’ve met with people from this forum at least five times . I feel qualified to say Im hardly anonymous here.

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!

Thank you, Jinx. You are always far too kind.

• bpath

Late to the game and video but I'm stuck on "the front of the house is the back" and it being dated. It's a classic design. Not a stick of molding? I see plenty of molding in the"before"pictures, including the built-ins. And she has decorated in throwback '80s big time.

I like that style, actually! But it's a bit TOO.

Aside: I wonder if she means that the stairs land at the door that leads to the back yard? Instead of many houses where the stairs land at the door that leads to the street? Forgive the uptalk, I actually mean them to be questions.

Taking a break and will watch the rest later.

• bpath

See the planter in the foyer? The exact same one has been in the living rooms of both of my mother’s houses, since 1956. I always liked it.