Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melissa_lujan32

Combo office dining in room with 3 entries

Melissa Lujan
last year
last modified: last year

We have a room that has openings on 3 sides an only 1 solid wall. The wall will be filled with cabinetry that matches the adjacent kitchen. The room opens on one side to the kitchen, one side to the living room and at the front it opens to the hallway/stairs. In addition to the cabinets, I want this space to function as an office with a desk and paper storage. How do I furnish it? The desk needs to be close to a partial wall for access to electrical. Would you put the desk on an angle in front of the partial wall? Pictures of the measurements of the room with the openings, and an sample of what the cabinets will look like, they will fill the entire back wall. Thanks!

Dining Area in Luxe Transitional Hi-Rise Residence · More Info

Comments (8)

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    last year

Is this home currently under construction? Will it only be used as an office or also a dining room?

• Melissa Lujan
    Original Author
    last year

We are doing renovations, but not moving/removing any walls. It currently is the dining room, but we are looking at the possibility of moving the dining room to a larger space which leaves this room as the only space for an office.

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    last year

home but I would close in the openings with glass and a french door on one side or just use the doorway as entracne and do paned glass.I don't know the style of the rest of your home to make the call on what style would be best but by doing this you will still get natural light into the space. As far as desk placement I would float it in the room and use an area rug to hude cords or if possible have an outlet placed in the floor.

Hingham, MA Addition & Kitchen Remodel · More Info

Islington Collection · More Info

Excelsior Bay Avant Garde · More Info

Polished Farmhouse · More Info

Home Office · More Info

Menlo Park Residence · More Info

Sleek Office Barn Doors · More Info

Modern Office Space · More Info

Modern Loft · More Info

Home Office · More Info

• Melissa Lujan
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you for the suggestions.

• Denise Marchand
    last year
    last modified: last year

Can you post pics of the room?

Consider having the desk perpendicular on the 59" wall (about 3" from the edge of the opening to the hallway/stairs). Add shelving and storage on desk wall and possibly over opening to create a 12" deep European vestibule entering into the room.

Cabinetry could match your "kitchen" cabinetry painted a darker tone or even a color, or that wall of desk/cabinetry in a wood finish.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

IMO the dining table will need to be the desk this space is barely big enough for a dining table and chairs what are the cabinets used for ? Can paper storage not go in there I rare;ly like dual purpose rooms and office space is always awkward to add to a room since you need many things for an office . Maybe look at cabinetry that would allow the computer to be hidden when not in use .

• Jennifer Hogan
    last year

Can you share a floorplan of the whole space so we can better understand the flow and can you post pictures of the space as is? Is the cabinetry already in place? Does it have to be built into the space? How much will this office be used and for what purposes? Needs for a desk to pay monthly bills is different than needs for a data engineer to work 50 hours a week and needing 3 large wall mounted monitors. Will the desk be clean or littered with papers? Is this the main traffic path between the living room and the kitchen. Do you also have a family room? Is the living room utilized often or just when you have guests?

• Denise Marchand
    last year

Is the only access to the kitchen through this space?

Here's a scaled plan. Note size of desk and desk chairs is pertinent to the size of the room to be functional and not overwhelming. This space could be charming.