Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_327393944

organic modern/warm minimalist open floor plan

HU-327393944
last year

A few months ago I started working on the kitchen/dining room and living room area. I need some help with wrapping up the space. I provided pictures below. I feel like its missing something, not too sure what though. Initially I was looking into RH as inspo. But recently I stumbled across organic modern and warm minimalist styles and immediately fell in love. I am open to suggestions. Anything that needs to be added or removed to make the space work

Comments (106)

• always1stepbehind
    last year

I must be losing my mind because I could have sworn I saw that mirror moved to the dining room wall like the inspo pic. ?? ok...I do see it. What about trying the dining room wall art over the sofa...at least from that you can see if you wan more color in an art piece or not.

• HU-327393944
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you for the fireplace jnspo, i absolutely love the last one with a roman plaster!

The mirror I will move back to the dining room and stick to my inspo photo bc that’s where my heart is. My only concern is making the living room too busy which can make the dining space look too bland

• Erika McConnell
    last year

I am also going to echo others and beg you buy original art :) it really goes with the organic vibe as well. If you need some more inspo on this look, follow amber interiors or look up some of her designs. Studio McGee has this look a little too. Look at lulu and Georgia. You need more organic things in the room — think about some pottery that looks “found”. I liked your first plant but look up some faux olive trees on Amazon- I will see if I can find a link. There are numerous sellers on Etsy who sell vintage art — you can often find a decent size landscape for example for around 300$. I know that is a lot — but so are many of the art pieces on anthro or PB. Do not add more black. You only need a little. Someone above posted a pic of haus love’a work— you might also be inspired by some of her looks as well. Your throw pillows need changed. The key for a monochromatic look is texture. Also need a throw blanket. You also must have at least one side table and a lamp. Don’t love the fan but some people have to have them. I will see if I can find some pics/links for you.

• Erika McConnell
    last year

I also think the coffee table is just way too big. Think about something oval shaped. You have a lot of straight lines in there. Break it up with an oval table in a darker look. An organic look has to have organic lines :). I don’t love the round mirror. Think about a funkier shape — a shield mirror perhaps. Will also bring in that organic quality.

• Erika McConnell
    last year

Also not sure the dining room light is doing anything for your look. It’s pretty — all the items in your space are pretty — they just aren’t the look you are going for. You need maybe a wicker light or an organic shaped light in the dining area.

• Erika McConnell
    last year

Ok use those pillows as inspiration. Then see that pottery on top of the bookcase? And on the table. Get some like that and put it on the coffee table. I’ve heard someone call it pottery that looks like “dirt has been thrown on it” lol. But it gives that organic vibe you are going for. You can often find pottery like this from artists online or vintage French pottery. But you can also find it at target. You could probably find pillows at target too for your look.

• Erika McConnell
    last year

See that wicker light? Adds so much texture. Again look at pillows, throws, candle sticks. You can find vintage candlesticks on Etsy or an antique shop or again target is likely your friend :)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

Erika, that's a great looking room. I like it. (but I think OP is going to say it's too busy and too much going on. Read further up)

• Erika McConnell
    last year

2 other potential lights for you. Also look up house seven. She also has this look and has a beetle sconce rather than the chandelier I posted but that feels so organic to me. The black light is also very modern and can be the hint of black.

• Erika McConnell
    last year

https://krinto.com

Krinto is going to have exactly the kind of throw pillows for the look. Vary the size of them. You want say 22, 20 and a lumbar in a group and then a 22 and 20 in another group. Use down inserts and get them one size bigger — for example, get a 24 inch pillow for a 22 inch size cover. Your couch is not really achieving the look but I understand we can’t always change that :) but next time you need to change out look at https://sixpenny.com. They are supposed to be very nice quality couches — but Here is also a target look alike. And a target pillow as an example. And a lamp :) I will stop but can make other recs. I have a couple of designers in my area who do this look and feature it in their shops so I am very familiar with it — I can always make other suggestions if requested :) there is a lot to like about this look and I def have been influenced by it myself.

• Erika McConnell
    last year
    last modified: last year

One last thought haha. I mentioned coffee tables. It looks like there are 2 there? Try taking one away and run it the other direction (it just feels so heavy in there). But because its a sectional you may almost need a bean shape in there. Make sure it’s close enough to the sectional (18 inches). Then put a side table beside one of the chairs. Personally, I would get a vintage one off Etsy, perhaps a spindle leg one. I would really love an oval shaped table in there. There are a lot of lines, almost no curves.

• Erika McConnell
    last year

I think so too @Beth H. :!! So funny how people perceive things differently because that room is the opposite of busy to me. Good luck to you @HU-327393944! And take any of my suggestions with a grain of salt. But I think I can see where you started with a RH look. I think it may be good for you to look at a lot of designers and decide what speaks to you. Maybe its not the organic look at all :) Its very hard to not be influenced by trends. I feel like i dont see "organic" necessarily in your look so maybe it isnt really what you like. And we can often like 2 looks -- I for example like a little rustic/cottage (and the organic look def has that aspect to an extent ) but also like a hint of art deco glam/modern. I mainly see kind of a transitional style here that could be elevated with some of the suggestions here like the throw pillows, art, plant, and blanket. You might like studio mcgee :)

• PRN
    last year

Getting in and out of the living room seating areas looks difficult without others having to actually get up to let people pass by, like in a movie theater. It's just too tight in there. It looks like your coffee table is actually two tables pushed together. If that's the case, can you try removing one of them and turn the remaining table so it runs parallel to the window?

• Erika McConnell
    last year

PRN — thought the exact same thing and made same suggestion for tables. It’s hard when one already bought the sectional but it doesn’t look right in there. And please don’t be offended OP, I (as probably almost everyone) has bought the wrong size furniture at some point even when one measured and measured :)

• Erika McConnell
    last year

OP - just saw your inspo pic. The furniture works in that space and not yours because that space is much larger. Also notice even in your inspo pic a side table and the “found” pottery. Also darker table as I suggested. To me this looks like a pic of a furniture show room where it isn’t going to be decorated that much and they are making suggestions to sell furniture, not what is actually practical for every day life or design :) Find other inspo pics :) look at designers for inspo — not furniture stores — 2 different worlds.

• HU-327393944
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you so much Erika for all of the suggestions! I absolutely loved your inspo pics. I ordered a few days ago some pillow covers from Amazon to add more color and texture to the sectional. I love shopping at Target, especially the Studio McGee collection. The vases I had on the table are actually from that collection. Initially I wanted to do a project to make them look more aged and darker but ppl started posting that the coffee table was too busy so I removed it. I originally wanted a round coffee table from Target but it was out of stock forever so i went with what I had bc i saw it on RH and videos from makeup influencers at their home. I am not sure if what I like its really organic or not. I think what I want its the white with neutrals and a pop of black not sure what that translates in design. But most of my inspo pics are from ppl I follow on social media not stores. I did the round mirror to help break out all the straight lines then placed the round vases for that same reason too. The last post has 18” of space between furniture. I can do one table but I feel like it would be too small for the sectional, but will make the change over the weekend and keep you all posted. I will be ordering the olive tree off Amazon soon as well as the art. I will post pics of the ones I liked so far. In general I like the simplicity muted colors and texture, it speaks peacefulness to me.

• HU-327393944
    Original Author
    last year

The framing color could be changed to black, white and natural. Personally I don’t know which color would look best for the space. I was thinking black but it was brought up to not add black. What you think?

• HU-327393944
    Original Author
    last year

I will be adding 2 canvases next to each other to help cover more space on the wall. Each is 24x36 so it would give me about 36x48 plus the 2-3” spacing between art.

• Erika McConnell
    last year

Very nice! Here are some more inspo pics for you. I think your look is more minimalism and what I think of as the “pacific palisades” look. There are things you could take from any of these. And go ahead and play! Get things that can be returned. My furniture is probably not the best layout/size either but I also have a family to consider. Someone mentioned a feeling with Décor and I think that is most important. Things in your home should make your heart sing and be full of memories.

• Erika McConnell
    last year

Look up pure salt interiors — I think you will like :)

• Erika McConnell
    last year

I think I like those paintings better with wood frames. Are you taking these to a store to be framed? You can compare and both look like they will work but you have to see in person. Frames for art are really dependent on the specific art piece rather than decor :) I think people were worried you might add black pillows and throws and only a little black is needed. This is a little black. A little black actually helps ground the space.

• HU-327393944
    Original Author
    last year

I really like the first and last picture. You see the tree I had was busy, bulky. It had greenery from top to bottom and the ones on this picture don’t and I think that’s why they work. I am very familiar with Pure Salt Interiors. I follow them on Pinterest.

The art is from Amazon and it gives you the option to pick what color frame to do. I can post some pics right now with the black color. I did order the black and white throw blanket from an earlier post but for the most part everything else is in the beige color family

• Erika McConnell
    last year

And I dont mean to get you caught up in naming a style -- that isnt really important but it just kind of helps to figure out how you want a room to feel. When I think of the more organic style, I think of something very similar to what you have but more curves and color.

• HU-327393944
    Original Author
    last year

And I will be ordering a side table, I can’t decide if i should go with rectangular or round shape though

• Erika McConnell
    last year

I think either works! But i would choose the wood to add a little more warmth and it will tie back to your table. It is almost impossible to match woods so it is ok if it isn’t exact. I also think I like a round end table since you have a straight arm couch and rectangle coffee tables. It doesn’t have to be huge either — just enough for a drink or if you want to set a table lamp. But give some examples :) You could easily do a floor lamp.

• Erika McConnell
    last year

I was just browsing a lulu and Georgia catalog and here is a piece of art with similar colors (a little more black) and a wood frame to give you another idea. I think it can be tempting to want to match the frame exactly to the art — not necessary. I even have a very modern abstract art piece framed in an ornate tradtional frame. A little bit of contrast can be a good thing :)

• HU-327393944
    Original Author
    last year

Someone had posted an all black floor lamp that I really liked. Or, maybe in a gold color to tie the chandelier in the dining room. As far as side table, what color would you recommend?

I love the art but it might out of my budget. I can see if i can find an affordable option

• Erika McConnell
    last year

Oh no no I didn’t mean this as another art piece option just that the colors are similar to the art you chose and look good with the wood frame— like your chosen art. I think you choose the art that speaks to you and what you like is what you like. When choosing art, I wouldn’t even think about what it “goes with” at first. You will get hung up. The pieces of art you love are going to fit in your house somewhere :) because they are likely going to have similarities. Most people have certain art they just can’t stand :) With the side tables — pick a few you like and others can weigh in on what they think. I would almost want to do something whimsical to break things up — maybe a vintage spindle table, live edge side table, or one of the inspo picks you liked was an African stool — don’t be afraid to aid whimsy or a thing in the room that you really like but doesn’t “go” This will make you look at your house and smile :) I think it is ok to do wood for side table— maybe a darker wood. Brass or black would work as a lamp. Also pick a few lamps you like and others can weigh in. I like wicker/rattan in your room for a lamp— i think you are really trying to achieve a beachy minimalism and it adds the organic touch and texture. Also don’t be afraid of accessories that are just completely personal — a vase filled with seashells or pine cones you picked up on a walk. You can have sentimental objects that don’t scream.

• Erika McConnell
    last year

These are just jumping off points of things that I think could bring extra texture from what you have. Pleated shade, glass, rattan/wicker — not necessarily these exact lamps but if you are struggling where to start.

• Erika McConnell
    last year

A few side tables — something kind of sculptural, a vintage stool, and I think the last one is “outdoors” but it doesn’t matter —. Just a jumping off point. You can usually find something similar in a darker color or something too.

• HU-327393944
    Original Author
    last year

I like the first floor lamp. Studio McGee has a similar one but I believe its out of stock right now. I can check again. I also had something like the pic below in mind for floor lamps. I have this dark brown/black round side table that I been trying to find a place for in years. What you think??

• Erika McConnell
    last year

I love the pharmacy lamp — those tend to read as more traditional but are also just practical for reading! Plus I don’t think many of your things are way on the side of modern where it will look funny. Wasn’t sure if it fit your style though. Try the table!

• Erika McConnell
    last year

I think the pleated shade lamp may be from CB2

• loobab
    last year

You already have great suggestions, but not the plant Beth showed- sansevieria (snake plant) is toxic to dogs and cats.

• HU-327393944
    Original Author
    last year

So the lamp I was thinking on the opposite side since I pushed the sectional there’s not much space for anything wider than that lamp. I am not 💯 sold on the lamp just thought it would help frame the wall art.

• HU-327393944
    Original Author
    last year

@loobab Omgosh i wasn’t aware of that. Thank you for pointing that out?

• HU-327393944
    Original Author
    last year

Here’s an update on the living space. I bought a lumbar in beige with grey and leather strap to help incorporate the chairs and island. I am not too sure on the throw blanket. I’ve attach the picture of the wall art I ordered (2 next to each other). Thoughts?

• njmomma
    last year

I love the art work!

I agree with you, the throw does not work.

Maybe it is not needed.

• HU-327393944
    Original Author
    last year

Im thinking of doing the art work in a black frame to tie the throw blanket, side table and some of the pillows together. What you think?

Also, the slipcovered chairs are here. I posted some pictures below

• njmomma
    last year

You have a black frame on the art you had in the dining room.

Lean it over the sofa and see if the black frame works for you.

• njmomma
    last year

I am not a pro 🤷‍♀️

• HU-327393944
    Original Author
    last year

I returned that frame already since I felt it was too small for the space. Also, I an frying to figure out if i should do 2 or 3 24x36 frames next to each other. The wall space is pretty large and dont want to look odd. I posted a pic with 2 24x36 canvases as a visual.

• TBL from CT
    last year

The image with two 24x36 is not quite it. Too small. I can't decide if three will be the right proportions. I'm assuming you're using hangers that have been left there, as the bottoms of the art are too low. You could put painter's tape in the finished size on the wall to get an idea of the scale. Taller? def wider, more square?

• Jennifer Hogan
    last year

General rule of thumb - picture should be 2/3 the width of the sofa and 6" above sofa.

• HU-327393944
    Original Author
    last year

I had them leaning against the wall. I did feel like 2 its too small so that’s why i was considering doing 3 to help cover more wall space just like the picture Jennifer created.

• justcallmepool
    last year

I think if you spaced the two apart a bit more they would take up the same amount of visual space as Jennifer's mockup. Her art goes to about the middle of the end cushions and the two of yours as-is go about 1/3.

• HU-327393944
    Original Author
    last year

That’s true. I ordered 2 30x40 canvases from Tj Maxx. Its more neutral but will a lot of texture. It should be getting here in the next few days. See pic below

Im still on the hunt for a table lamp and floor lamp

• HU-327393944
    Original Author
    last year

Hello!

I am not sure if anybody is following up with this post. I am currently working on the design for the fireplace, and thought I asked for some help. I am debating on color scheme. Keep it white, off black roman clay with black surround or white surround. See inspo pics below

• yumelizabeth
    last year

I like the last picture. Think the black/off black would be too harsh.

• HU-327393944
    Original Author
    last year

That’s what im afraid of so thought about doing the surround white to tone it down. I did a rendering of the all black