Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
idaalready

The lowly trailhead toilet...

Ida
last year

Many of us have rather unreasonable fears. I have such a fear when it comes to using pit or vault toilets, commonly found in areas where hiking trails abound. It isn't so much the smell (which can be disgusting), but more the act of leaning over that dark opening and not really knowing "what all" is down there. Just read this story, confirming that if I ever drop an item down one of these things, it's just gone, man. I cannot fathom going in after something, and think I have to go lie down now and stop envisioning this actually playing out in all its gory detail.
https://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/hiking-and-backpacking/trailhead-toilet-fall-olympic-peninsula/

Comments (25)

• Ida
    Original Author
    last year

And then there's this guy, whose photo has been making the rounds. Story is that he dropped his phone down the hole, removed all of his clothing, and went I'm after it. Unable to climb back out on his own, he was rescued a few hours later (not next day, as the caption indicates). The door had to be broken down, as of course he had locked it.

Happened in Montana.

• Jilly
    last year
    last modified: last year

IDA. OMG.

I have a very real phobia of even using regular public restrooms (sometimes I have to, they’re a necessary evil), but this! This is horrific.

My phone would never be worth wading around in … that. Nothing would be. 🤢

You posted this on purpose, didn’t you? Because I tagged you on that spider carrying a sac of babies post. You win!

🤣

• Kitchenwitch111
    last year

She's lucky her phone worked and she could call for help getting out. What if it didn't work, she could still be in there!

• pricklypearcactus
    last year

I already have a (rational?) fear of dropping something down a vault toilet. I always triple check my pockets before using one. Now I have this additional fear to add to the list of falling into the vault toilet. Yikes.

• Ida
    Original Author
    last year

I'm so skeeved out by these things that I make DH stand just outside the door and talk to me while I'm in there. I will say I've never had to do anything "heavy duty" in one of them, so it's a quick in and out, but it still unnerves me. Realistically I know that a poo-covered monster is not going to rise up out of the thing as I'm hovering and drag me down, down, down ... but the 5 year old that still resides inside of me still feels very vulnerable to the possibility.

• Jilly
    last year

And snakes or other critters!

• Feathers11
    last year

At least Andy Dufresne gained his freedom. I would not put myself through that for a phone.

• nekotish
    last year

When our twins were newly toilet trained we were moving from one campsite to another and suddenly one daughter "had to go." So I took her and her sister to the outhouse, something new to them. When daughter was finished, I lifted her off and proceeded to clean her up and pull up her pants. My other daughter toddled over and peered down the hole and turned to us with a look of incredulity and said "oh, Dodo (her nickname for her sister) You did a lot of poo!"

• Ida
    Original Author
    last year

🤣🤣🤣

• olychick
    last year

I always worry with the more flimsy pit toilets (not the ones with concrete floors) that they are going to be rotten and the floor will give way even just walking on it. I also have bad knees which makes 'hovering' very difficult. Grab bars help, but ew who wants to touch those in there.

• pricklypearcactus
    last year

@nekotish that is absolutely hilarious!!!

@Ida I completely understand the preference of having someone standing outside for comfort. I also feel better having a friend or husband outside. And they can hold my phone safely outside! I have, unfortunately, had the experience of some gastric distress while in a state park and having to use one of these vault toilets for serious heavy duty business. 0/10: I do not recommend.

• terezosa / terriks
    last year

A few months ago I was hiking with some friends when one of my friends needed to use the loo. These were not vault toilets, but Porta Potties.

She was only in their a few seconds when we all heard the splash, and simultaneously said oh s___! - Literally!

She called her husband who decided to go up and retrieve it., 🤢

He got it out, and fortunately the potties had recently been cleaned. Amazingly after cleaning and some time in rice it worked!

• dedtired
    last year

Oh dear god, no way Id go after my phone. I mean if i could reach it, i might, but otherwise, no. I honestly think those squat toilets in other countries are less disgusting. At least your butt doesnt touch the seat. As i recall, squatters have foot pedal to flush or at least a water bucket.

And she went in head first. Oh lord.

• Bookwoman
    last year

Reason #412 why this is me:

• OutsidePlaying
    last year

Oh, hexx to the no!! Not ever would I go after anything in one of those things! I can hardly stand to use one much less think about dropping something in there. I always make sure DH is close by and has anything like my pack, cell phone, etc etc.

Jinx, you are my toidy twin when it comes to public toilets. I will wait as long as possible to go into most.

• User
    last year

No way would I reach in for my phone either. It would be forever unclean.

My friend was arguing with her boyfriend while waiting for a porta potty at a music festival. When she got inside, she angrily chucked her empty beer bottle into the tank, and was met with splashback. That was a very bad day for her.

• Irish2
    last year

DH was in T-Mobile recently and a woman came in and stated to customer svs repres that her cell fell into the porta potty and was now not working. DH thought to himself that I would not even use one nevermind stick my hand in.

• nicole___
    last year

Forget the toilets....last time we went camping DH pulled into this stand of very tall pine trees and declared we were camping inside the treed area. It was 3pm and already pitch black behind those trees. I like hotels! 😂

• Ida
    Original Author
    last year

We visited a little out-of-the-way spot in Iceland where for a small fee, you could hike to the top of a smallish mountain and take in a lovely view. The view was ok, but what really impressed me was the porta-loo on the property. It had a real flush toilet and a little sink with running water, and it actually smelled pleasant inside. I'm not sure I got any photos of the hike, but by golly, I got one of that potty. The shed it was in was on wheels, so definitely a portable number!

• Jilly
    last year

Ida, I think you should do coffee table (or bathroom) books on toilets you see on your hikes. I’m totally serious.

I hope you’ll dedicate the first one to me, since it was my idea.

”I’d like to dedicate It’s a Potty World to my good friend Jinx … a woman who constantly attempts to bravely overcome her public potty phobia, or PPP, to get by in this world. She is an inspiration, a proud woman who stares public toilets in the eye, can hold her breath for minutes, and does not back down. Thank you, Jinx, for inspiring this book. Happy Flushing.”

• blfenton
    last year

I don't camp unless my tent spot comes with electricity - ergo I don't camp.

If we're hiking I will go behind a tree before I use a porta potty.

• Ida
    Original Author
    last year

Jinx, hahahahaha! It's very tempting! And that dedication is pure Pee-erfection! 🤣

But since we're talking hiking and camping and such, I will say that I learned years ago how to dig a latrine and use it successfully and responsibly. I have no qualms about squatting in the bushes for a tinkle when hiking, and can do so in record speed. I once bought one of those "lady funnels" that are designed to enable a woman to urinate from a standing position. I used it a few times, but found it unnecessary, as I prefer my own method without an added device. As strange as it probably sounds, I look at this as an acquired and perfected skill that is important for any woman who likes to get outdoors and away from it all, because invariably, nature WILL call. Particularly if you're hydrating properly. I would much, much rather squat over a rock than endure the terror of the pit/vault toilet. Just gotta make sure you know which way the wind is blowing!

• Ida
    Original Author
    last year

I guess it's a family thing. My niece made this for me in art class when she was 12. 😆

• Jilly
    last year

🤣

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    last year

I recall that story being in the news some time ago. It's the stuff of nightmares, for sure 😱

Here's my horror story:

I dropped my phone in an outside park toilet last year - really, REALLY had to go and forgot it was in my back pocket - until I heard the plop. The worst thing was the toilet hadn't been flushed. I stood there in shock and horror for a second or two, then snatched it and threw it in the sink, using just my thumb and finger. Luckily(!!!) the toilet was so full, the phone hadn't been submerged at all. I drenched it in hand sanitizer, removed the case and wiped everything (and my hands) down several more times with loads of hand sanitizer and paper towels. I still cringe thinking about that. Now I'm sure to never, ever have my phone in my back pocket when using the bathroom, I usually don't even take it in with me.