Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jrichards86

Downtown Condo, 708 Sf, need inspiration for such small rooms

Joshua Richards
10 years ago
The bedrooms are 9x9 and 8x10, and I'm having trouble finding any good references on how to layout these spaces. Attached is the floor plan, any help appreciated!

Comments (52)

• Anne
    10 years ago
    Your room is 9 x 9, so about 108 inches. A queen bed is 60" wide x 80" long. So you will have 48" in one direction and 28" the other. This does not include a headboard or footboard on the bed. This is tight, but doable. You will have very little room for bedside tables or a dresser. Lots of planning needed!
  • Karen Girardeau
    10 years ago
    Consider a wall-mounted headboard, and use wall sconces instead of table lamps. These will save space. I would position the bed on the wall opposite the door instead of under the windows - I like to be able to see outside from bed. Get roll-out drawers for under bed storage?
  • Joshua Richards
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Instead of wall sconces, I was debating of doing above the head storage, with hanging lamps. Similar to the attached image.

@Anne, I like the doable attitude! I'll have to give it okay once the space is actually ready.
  • Karen Girardeau
    10 years ago
    Great idea w/the overheads - i thought about hanging lights for you, too. I like the way they executed it in your picture. You can definitely do a queen in there, just keep it simple. And since a full is only 5 inches narrower, needn't sacrifice comfort for the minimal difference it would make.
  • rinked
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    If you're living there on your own or as a couple, consider turning bedroom #2 into a tv-lounge-room, so the living area can handle a large table with comfy dining chairs (and one lounge chair for reading and staring outside, plus a bookcase maybe). The master bedroom should be minimalistic, but that's not a bad thing.
  • Joshua Richards
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    In terms of the living space, I was thinking of doing a dramatic wallpaper on one of the walls, then keep the remaining walls neutral. I'm having trouble visualizing the space / deciding where a 60" tv should go in there.
  • rinked
    10 years ago
    60 inch? Oh my.. Uhm.. Partially remove the wardrobe interior?

Depending on the time you're planning to live there, you could remove the bedroom walls, except for the few feet next to the entry.
  • Joshua Richards
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    TV would be for the living space, I think 50 - 55 is more realistic anyway.
  • Karen Girardeau
    10 years ago
    Is this living room photo (from hgtv article) even close to your style? Seems like its pretty similar to your layout. The right drapery fabric could give you the "wow-factor" you're looking for. http://www.hgtv.com/decorating-basics/10-smart-design-ideas-for-small-spaces/pictures/page-8.html How high are your ceilings? What functions do you need to get out of your living room? mainly gathering/tv watching? Do you expect to mainly eat at the island, or do you need eating space in the living room?
  • Joshua Richards
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    That's close. I've selected dark floors / cabinets for my unit. The living space will primarily be gathering/tv, and yes, I believe we will mainly be eating at the island. Eating space isn't necessary for the living area, but we'd like to be able to have a coffee table or something there.
  • Joshua Richards
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    My ceilings are only 9ft.
  • Joshua Richards
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I think the second room will act as an office / artsy space. Might do a full wall to wall desk 10ft across.
  • Karen Girardeau
    10 years ago
    Nice! I love dark wood floors- have them in my current living room. I have a cream covered rug for beautiful contrast, and i see the inspiration photo i sent has the same.

You can have a coffee table! Just be judicious with each piece you add to the floor plan, given the limited space. If it were me, I'd do something that allows you to see through it - acrylic/glass, a simple 4-legged rectangle, or something like the one in the picture. What furniture pieces do you already have? Do you like them? Need/plan/hope to use them in the new place?

9 ft ceilings will feel pretty tall - nearly as high as the room is wide. You could do floor to ceiling drapes to great effect. I envision beautiful fabric on your wall of windows, a piece of art that you love over a tight-backed simple sofa, a chair, that BIG TV of yours mounted on the opposite wall over a long low skinny console, maybe?

I love your long built in desk idea! We had a skinny little study like that in our previous house, and we did shelves and desk down one side and just a chair and small tea table on the other.
    Joshua Richards thanked Karen Girardeau
  • tfbarringer
    10 years ago
    meant it doesn't hurt as much when you bump into it-has good flow
  • Joshua Richards
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @karen038, I have absolutely nothing right now. I want to get some key pieces a little at a time leading up to my occupancy (end of feb/early march).

Yep, the very light rug to offer high contrast against the floors, will definitely be done! As well as mounting the tv against a wall. I'm trying to figure out what kind of seating would work there. Could you provide an example of the tight-backed sofa you had in mind?

@tfbarringer I like how unique that table is, and I'm all about reducing corners (I actually just smashed my knee into my desk while writing this).

There is supposed to be a model suite of the unit available shortly, so I'll definitely snap up some pictures of that so I have a reference point in terms of fabrics for rugs/drapery/bedding etc.
  • tfbarringer
    10 years ago
    For the sofa you might want something with nice timeless design but that is not too deep, right? I love this, but it is pricey: http://www.dwr.com/product/bantam-73-sofa.do?sortby=ourPicks -don't know if your brave enough for the "autumn" color but it is great with cream rug and dark floors and you might be able to find a similar style that isn't as pricey- tho i know for a fact that this will last your lifetime, even if you recover a few times. this is a nice color too which would hide stains and you could add two throw pillows that would make it pop: alos is velevt not twill which is more soft and doesn't fade: http://www.dwr.com/product/bantam-73-sofa.do?sortby=ourPicks
  • tfbarringer
    10 years ago
    If you go with a neutral palette for your sofa and table, rugs and floor, then you could add an ottoman or two- people can sit on them as guests (if you buy the kind that are sturdy, not puffs-and when you're home and want to slouch on the sofa, you can put your feet up. My brother had 2 for when friends came over in his nyc apartment. You could jazz up your neutral pallete with something like this: http://www.wayfair.com/Interlude-Home-Billings-Ottoman-A175020-ILH1103.html or you can find plain colored ones- just think of them in terms of seating.
  • Joshua Richards
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Would a sectional be possible? Ideally I'd want something with a chaise type attachment for lounging.
  • Karen Girardeau
    10 years ago
    Let me see what I can find and draw something up. Do you like leather or fabric? Boxy, tailored, more casual?
  • Joshua Richards
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Are you able to see my living space idea book. There are so e looks in there that I'm liking.
  • Karen Girardeau
    10 years ago
    Just looked. Nice - the one by Bigtime Designs is incredibly close to what I was drawing up! Floating console below the TV (every little bit of visible floor will help!), the sectional w/the chaise end by the kitchen, that great coffee table that tfbarringer sent you, and drapery. And something vertical in that corner. Simple, comfortable and functional.

Here's the deal on sectionals - I'm having a hard time finding one that looks nice at less than 9 ft. long. The chaises jut out anywhere from 5 to almost 6 feet. If that's the way you want to go, lighting could be an issue for you because there won't be much room for any kind of end table. Maybe two hanging lights, and one more light source over in the corner at the end of the console (where Bigtime has a candle-looking thingy)? Will sleep on it and revisit. Maybe there are shorter sectionals out there and I'm just not looking in the right places.
  • Karen Girardeau
    10 years ago
    I hope you can see this- I was literally drawing WHILE catching up on Breaking Bad, so took me a bit :)
  • Joshua Richards
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Awesome! I was just using homestyler and came up with the same! Nice to know I'm not crazy!
  • Karen Girardeau
    10 years ago
    Oops - it was HGTV that had the candle contraption in that corner, not Bigtime. I was thinking about some sort of columnar light?
  • Phil
    10 years ago
    How does that second room count as a bedroom? Does the glass partition go floor to ceiling?
  • Joshua Richards
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @ncreature, it sure does.
  • Joshua Richards
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    What about a colour scheme for the living space? I was thinking of doing neutral and an accent colour, like green, red or mustard. Thoughts?
  • GISELA SCHMIDT
    10 years ago
    The difference is in ensuring continuos lines so there is flow and efficiency in your furnishings. There are modern flip-down beds from the wall in many designs. You may consider two suggestions- remove door to front bedroom and add opening so that dividing wall is an island in the width off the condo. You could use pocket or a barn door if privacy was desired. Another suggestion is to remove the island in the kitchen and put a long table there instead. Done correctly it is more social inducing and very hip. The kitchen cabs should have a polished furniture feel than kitchen. If the fridge can be undercounter type even better.
  • Karen Girardeau
    10 years ago
    I love neutrals with green. Greys w/chartreuse? Or Beiges and browns with sap green - or darker greens? There are a lot of variations. I find neutrals with greens very calm and sophisticated, yet clean and fresh.
  • J Corn
    10 years ago
    I know I'm a broken record when it comes to my solution but I'd hire someone to make a customized Murphy bed with a real mattress, a bed that folds up completely in at least one bedroom. Make the most of vertical space. But I can't tell from the drawings if that would wrk. Definitely not if the only place for a bed is next to the windows. Our Murphy bed folds behind bookcases that slide together in the day time. Extra book or display space as well as a bed!
  • Joshua Richards
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    In the master bedroom I don't think I need any more space. I think the queen would be okay. The second bedroom is probably going to act as an office.
  • genipherspook
    10 years ago
    I'd rather have a bit bigger living room (10'6" x 11'8'...really????) and do without the second bathroom, or at least have a "powder room" instead of having a second, full bathroom. The main bathroom would become a cheater ensuite.
  • Joshua Richards
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Not sure what this has to do with me finding inspiration. Thanks for your input though... lol
  • rinked
    10 years ago
    Some food for thought:
  • RosemaryR
    10 years ago
    What have you done with your space, after reading through, dying to know hope it was fun for you to furnish.
  • Karen Girardeau
    10 years ago
    Yes, too! I was just thinking of you.
  • Joshua Richards
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hey! So sorry I have been SUPER busy with work and haven't done much in terms of decorating. However, I did get my couch and and tv set up, Karen038, I actually followed your exact plan and it worked out perfectly. I also DIY'd my own coffee tables that are nested to expand/contract for space as needed!

In my bedroom, so far I've got my Queen platform bed. It is tight, but there's actually room on both sides! In november I'm going to focus on my place and get everything on point. My tastes have evolved, so hopefully you're still available to give me some input!
  • Joshua Richards
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    So to the left of my tv, I currently have floating shelves, but I'm kind of over them. I think this piece would be functional (drawers), and good for storage (shelves).
  • Karen Girardeau
    9 years ago
    You made your own coffee tables? How great! And so smart to go with nesting tables.

So, storage is an issue and you're "over" floating shelves. The leaning unit you've posted looks good and fits in with what you were looking for last year. Will they offer adequate storage for your needs?

What colors did you go with? Did you do that wallpaper wall you were considering?
  • hayleydaniels
    9 years ago
    This is from August 2013......
  • Joshua Richards
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    @hayleydaniels .. and? lol
  • Joshua Richards
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    @karen, I've actually changed my mind on the ladder unit. I think I'm going to build an industrial pipe shelf unit instead. See attached photo.

Yep, well the coffee tables were a bit of an ikea hack. I'll upload some photos next week.
  • Karen Girardeau
    9 years ago
    I like it! It's great you're so handy- I look forward to your pics!
  • riccardino
    9 years ago
    would you consider knocking down the wall between the master and the living area? I know thats radical but just wondering. also what about a murphy bed to save space?
  • Joshua Richards
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    @riccardino No, I'm actually okay with the layout. I like having a separate room. By second bedroom is my office space. I also don't need a murphy bed, its tight, but not unlivable.
  • Joshua Richards
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    So I wallpapered my bedroom focus wall, and got my headboard. Waiting for my duvet covers and light fixtures. Then I'll post a completed photo. But here is where it's at so far.
  • Elaine Doremus Resumes Written
    8 years ago

Apartment therapy website has a lot of ideas for small spaces.

• Joshua Richards
    Original Author
    7 years ago

in my living space, I finally built an industrial pipe shelf. came out pretty good... thinking of upping the TV size to a 60 inch... right now its a 55.