Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

Favorite gift shop; share yours

mtnrdredux_gw
last year
last modified: last year

In nearby Kennebunkport there is a very cute giftshop called "The Daytrip Society." They do a great job of curating interesting and lovely products; some brands are familiar and some I don't know.

The have a great website so I thought i'd share some of my haul from a random stroll and the sources. There is a distinct NE coastal vibe, but its more than that. https://www.daytripsociety.com/

A few faves First i hear of Sara Fitz, who also has her own shop nearby. Really cute trays like this Nantucket basket one I got (I always need new ones) and adore her notecards.

Comments (36)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    last year

They have one of my fave brands, Machete. I got another pair of their tortoise earrings and this checkboard tortoise clip.

I got Charades as a hostess gift

I also found a new Puzzle co, New York Puzzles. I like to leave these for guests or renters as gifts, assuming there will be a rainy day. May cute ones!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    last year

And a fave I will keep hidden for a while, so as not to rub in the end of summer. Love this brand. Sh*t That I Knit. LOL

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    last year

Mulling over this gold/pale blue quilt w map of the Southern Maine coastline by Haptic Labs.

• lisaam
    last year

That quilt is truly lovely. Down the street is a darling place that I only allow myself to enter once or twice a year, but when I need a bit of joy this place does the trick.

https://www.thebarnswallow.com/ is the retail outlet for 2 potters but there is also jewelry, artwork, cards, florals for events,

and all sorts of delights to the eye

mtnrdredux_gw thanked lisaam
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    last year

Lisa, beautiful. love the napkins! And the bagged salt! And the barn swallow tumblers.

• lisaam
    last year

Come visit, please! I love the ladies who own it. i used to provide food for their pre- holiday open house. they let me borrow lots of stuff for a photo shoot. The little barn is quite rustic, but that is part of the charm.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked lisaam
  • Sueb20
    last year

Here’s one of my all time favorites, in Harvard Square, Cambridge MA, where there are very few independent shops any more.

It’s called Motto. Mostly jewelry but also some other gifts/accessories.

https://mottoharvardsq.com

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Sueb20
  • Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    last year

Brilliant thread. Love all the unique finds.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    last year

Love Motto! I feel some purchases coming on. What's more, like by Daytrip experience, it sent me down the rabbit hole with new-to-me vendors such as

Inouitoosh scarves

Gleena ceramics https://www.gleena.com/product/16oz-tumbler-lunamoth

Digard woven purses

https://studio-doda.com/collections/sophie-digard

I am def dropping by there! Thx Sue

PS love those socks and the triangle earrings. The blue necklace looks familiar, were you looking at that to go with a dress at one point?

• chinacatpeekin
    last year

I absolutely covet the Sophie Digard bag!

mtnrdredux_gw thanked chinacatpeekin
  • Sueb20
    last year

Ha, yes, Mtn. Good memory. I still want it even though I don’t need it. As if that’s ever stopped me.

• deegw
    last year

Key West is not known for shopping, by a long shot, but Besame Mucho is always a treat when we visit.

Here is a picture of a Grainne Morton display from an old Instagram pic.

Sponges, candles and old books.

Ornament display

mtnrdredux_gw thanked deegw
  • Sueb20
    last year

Mtn, also, if you’re in the area, 3 miles from Harvard Sq is Wescott Mercantile, which just expanded and has the cutest stuff. Locally owned by a super nice and fun woman. Not a great web site but worth stopping in, and if you’ve got any beer drinkers with you, Craft Beer Cellar is right next door. Huge and interesting collection of beers, ciders, etc. There is one in Portland, I think, but this is their original shop.

https://www.westcottmercantile.com

• localeater
    last year

Not a gift shop but something I wanted to share. We have talked about door mats before and I love mine. It is called the Pencil Chicken and is at least 10 years old and still looks brand new. I love the mat because it is latex backed, really sturdy, and easy to vacuum. I find the weather tech type ones hold onto stuff when you vacuum them. It also can go in a big washer, or just be thrown on the yard and soaped up and hosed down. It is indestructible. I saw the style first at my son's music studio on a slushy Maine day. It was in their vestibule where it faced hundreds of wet boots daily. The designer/company went off line for a few years, but they are back with 2 new designers added in and I am in love.

This is my old rug

And here are some of the ones I am considering

https://thewhimseycollection.com/ 

mtnrdredux_gw thanked localeater
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    last year

Local, those are cool. They need more photos, it is really hard to tell what you are looking at.

• Funkyart
    last year

This giftshop/site is one of my most favorite... i have shared it before but I don't draw lots of attention to it because it's my "secret discovery" lol. They have been exceptionally helpful over the years-- and it is just a delight to wander around their pages finding things you didn't know that you simply MUST have. I haven't been to theMuseum Outlets shop but it is in the Berkshires.

The site is organized but a bit chaotic-- something I normally dislike but it is part of the experience iykwim. It makes each find a little more fun!

My screen shots are stinky-- for some reason the screen is suddenly over brightening when i open my screen grab tool. I think it has to do with my HDR settings.. I am still configuring this laptop.

All sorts of funky sculptures, reclaimed pieces, fair trade products

Vintage posters, prints, maps

Handmade block print napkins, placemats, tablecloths

And my go-to for pretty wrapping paper -- especially for book gifts.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Funkyart
  • Sueb20
    last year

I love those mats, local!

Wish I had a spot for this.

• Funkyart
    last year

I have to say, i am so loving this thread-- i have a new obsession with Sophie Digard .. and it turns out that I am pretty sure I have one of her crocheted wool scarves purchased a billion years ago. I will have to dig out my winter scarves and confirm.

I am pretty sure I will be picking up one of her totes!

I am avoiding the jewelry designers for the moment-- but I am sure my willpower will lose its hold soon lol!

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Funkyart
  • jill302
    last year

Thank you all for sharing. I have already ordered a couple of gifts for the holidays from one of the shops shared here. Unfortunatley, my two favorite local gift shops closed, nice to have some online options.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked jill302
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    last year

Kswl those are tdf. If my girls were little I'd snap up two, tout de suite. Sadly the moms of little girls I know probably would think them too old-fashioned.

Funky, How did i miss that shop .. i was just in the Berkshires.

• chinacatpeekin
    last year

My favorite gift shop is Tail of the Yak in Berkeley, the very definition of a treasure trove. It’s a complete delight.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked chinacatpeekin
  • maire_cate
    last year

Perfect timing for this post since it's time to consider holiday shopping.

Sueb20 - I ordered a necklace from Motto but had to call them since the dimensions weren't listed and we're traveling so I needed delayed shipping. The sales rep was very helpful and when she asked how I heard of the store I tried to explain this little online group and the wonderful information we exchange. She knew about Houzz but not about the forums. I ordered this one for DD -

https://mottoharvardsq.com/collections/jewelry/products/tip-to-toe-cube-cluster-necklace

Funky - thanks for the Museum Outlet reminder. Someone (and it may have been you) mentioned it years ago but I had forgotten all about it.

• lisaam
    last year

local, those mats are wonderful!

I need a new mat for my dog feeding area but the size is odd, I really need 28x20, I was hoping for one of those; will keep looking

• Kswl
    last year

My DD wore smocked holiday dresses until she was 11 or 12...those were the days. I still have her last one, it has a christmas tree and tiny packages with satin ribbon bows. I need a granddaughter—- I have an entire drawerful of hair bows Ihave been amassing over the past 20 years!

• bpath
    last year

This little local shop is my first stop.

Greenleaf Gallery

I have a lot of guys in my family. and it can be hard to find something interesting for the home. This shop almost always has something in stock. Not everything is on the website, though. And many local (Chicago area) and Midwest artists and artisans.

These Mova orbs are so cool. Some are planets, or inspired by art (Van Gogh).

If I put one of these on the corner of the house, do you think it would scare off the woodpeckers?

These are so cool, they can go on table top or on the wall, and a collecton of them on the wall is striking.

These kind of steampunk birds are fun.

Don’t worry, there’s some nice things for the women, too. Jewelry, table linens, sweaters sweaters, throws, and scarves.

I don’t see them on the website right now, but one of my favorite gifts for almost anyone is something from CoolSnowGlobes.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked bpath
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    last year

The sales rep was very helpful and when she asked how I heard of the store I tried to explain this little online group and the wonderful information we exchange.

Maire, I'm sure you could've just said "Sue told me. The lady that keeps looking at that blue necklace."

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    last year

Bpath, adore those snowglobes. Totally fab

Okay wait, now i have to add a word about those orbs. They spin people! ON THEIR OWN. Sold

https://www.movaglobes.com/how-mova-globe-works/

Can i just say, that this thread was one of my more brillianter ideas? 😁

• bpath
    last year

I love this thread! I feel like I’m strolling around an artisan village! Funky, that’s Museum store looks amazing. And I love local’s mats. I could use some new ones, now that kids aren’t tracking stuff in and out.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked bpath
  • Sueb20
    last year

Maire, that is funny! It’s a great little shop.

• Funkyart
    last year

Absolute best that I remember, Mtn.. though my memory might take me to Tuesday last week. LOL

I know people are going to throw stuff at me -- but i started christmas shopping this week (maybe last week?). I saved links to all these sites and have have partial shopping carts going. I was out with one of my nieces and her friend this afternoon and picked up two more things. I feel like I am totally organized and on the ball.. AND I have some great gifts!

I am sad that my favoritist Sophia Digard raffia bag (which happened to be on sale) is sold out but when I have time to focus, I will search one out. ETA no, my favoritist is sold out but wasn't on sale. I could have made do with the one that was on sale but is sold out.

• rubyclaire
    last year

This is sort of cheating but I have a favorite online boutique (she does have a brick and mortar but not near me. But, she carries an item I love from a candlemaker in Highlands,NC that I wanted to share:

I have purchased so many things from her shop - wrapping paper, frames, prints, kitchen towels and pillow covers. A real favorite.

JSH

And the candle guy has a shop - in person and online if you are interested:

Stick Candles

• maire_cate
    last year

Rubyclaire- your JSH link didn't open - is this the same site?

https://jshhomeessentials.com/

While browsing through Motto again I noticed that they carry scarves by Pilgrim Waters. I have one of her merino wool scarves that's handwoven and handprinted in Kathmandu and always receive compliments when I wear it. I love the oversize graphic designs and the material is soft and lightweight.

https://www.pilgrimwaters.co/

mtnrdredux_gw thanked maire_cate
  • rubyclaire
    last year

@maire_cate Yes - that is the link. I will fix mine as well - thanks for the heads up.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    last year

ohh i want those stick candles for ThxG

• Sueb20
    last year

I was in a gift shop in RI today and they had those orbs/globes! Funny, GW follows me everywhere.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County