Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1

Hard question. What is the sweetest and earliest ripe fig one can eat?

Yes, I have about 8 fig trees and none taste very soft and richly sweet. Either bland, or a hint of sweet.

I have been buying dark purple ones at the farm stand and of course they don't know the name of those. I fool my mom telling her I just picked them so that she will put up with all the dormant trees on the porch. She says they are worth the mess at that point. Very sweet)

Mike

Comments (7)

• bluemoonlight
    last year

Florea, definitely Florea.

Big on producing breba and right after main crop.

Walnut size figs, sweet to going tangy when shrivel a little.

Every cold climate fig enthusiast is looking for Forea fig tree.

What variety do you grow ?

What do you fertilize your fig trees with ?

Maybe you picking them at early ripening stage ?

I wish I can help you !

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    Original Author
    last year
    last modified: last year

Hello Bluemoonlight.

Very frustrating. I am growing Chicago hardy , Celeste, Altreano, and Pettite nigro which are suppose to be sweet. But I think the pots dry out every day, that I have been watering so much that the fruit taste bland? Also I either pick them right before they go mushy and the flies get to them. If I wait too late they are almost too soft and yet over ripened. When they drop and they are soft is when I pick them and still not as sweet as the ones I get at the farms. The ones at the farms are almost black and so sweet they almost hurt my sore tooth.

I fertilize with a good Cal-Mag from Pete's and fish emulsion every couple of weeks.

Ugh

Martin, I think I will try that one and the one Bluemoonlight speaks of if I can find those(

The ones planted in the ground are all so tall and full of fruit that I wished would survive long enough to ripen(

Thank you)

• bluemoonlight
    last year

Mike, I will take it slowly if you don't mind.

You are saying that the "pots dry out every day"

Q ; how large are the pot ?

If pot is large enough and they dry out, that means that the soil is drying to fast.

Q did you think to put saucers under the pot?

This is not proper solution but it would be helpful.

There is an another solution to fix this problem, here it is.

Mix quarter bucket with poting soil and same amount of top soil or garden soil

Make liquid mixture of

MG 24 8 26 NPK which is 2 teaspoons of fertilizer and 2 gallons of water, that should be enough as season is ending, mix it well and spill it in bucket with soil and mix it well so that is pourable, spill it in the pot, that should fill up empty spaces in pot.

Let me know what you think please.

Anna

Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.) thanked bluemoonlight
  • raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    last year

I solved my need to water the potted figs nearly daily by buying those big round pans meant to go under water heaters. I plugged the drain hole, and now when I water the figs I also fill up the pan, and that holds them for 3-4 days depending on the weather. Only $10 each. I have both pan and pot sitting on a furniture dolly to make it easy to move them as needed.

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    Original Author
    last year

Anna, I am so sorry it took me so long to come back. I never got notification that anyone posted here again. Thank you for all your help. I will do that come the spring time. Yeah, I had to water them every day. I put them in bigger pots in spring then they grow so fast, the soil runs out for the roots.

I will do your suggestions and thank you again.

Raee, believe this. I did the same thing with my Tumpet trees or Brugs because they would dry out before the afternoon and it never occurred to me to do that with them. This method worked for those. Dir. Thanks

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    Original Author
    last year

Anna, by the way, based on your suggestion and the articles I read, I bought that fig tree))

One Green World is the only place that had it and it gets here in a couple of days. I am excited. I will plant in in ground next spring up against the south facing part of my house or in my small green house. Can't decide yet?

Mike

Sponsored
Cabido Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
DC & Montgomery County's Best in Full Service, Custom Home Remodeling