Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
3katz4me

Do you cook bacon in the oven?

3katz4me
last year

I don't cook a lot of bacon - just for recipes and BLTs. I cooked some for the latter yesterday because I got some good tomatoes from a neighbor. I was at a weekend overnight with some friends a few years ago and a couple of them swore by making bacon in the oven. Okay fine - not my oven so not my mess. I just couldn't get my head around how you can cook bacon in the oven and not have the oven full of bacon grease. I have recently given it a try and now I'm sold. Perfect bacon, unattended cooking, grease stays on the foil, easy cleanup. So I wondered - am I the only holdout and everyone's been cooking bacon in the oven but me?

Comments (22)

• Olychick
    last year

I have done it that way forever. I use a broiler pan (a small one that fits in the dishwasher) and found that if I cook bacon longer at a lower temp, there is no splatter at all. Especially because the grease is covered in the bottom of the broiler pan.

• maddielee
    last year

I don’t heat up the oven unless I’m cooking up a big batch of bacon. For 4-6 slices I still use the microwave. Unless I need the bacon grease for something, then I fry it in a pan.

• arcy_gw
    last year

At holidays I do because I can sooo so much at once. They don't spray grease when baked the way a fry pan or microwave cooks them. Must be a timing thing. I put a cooling rack in my jelly roll pan and put two packages of back slice by slice on it.

• 4kids4us
    last year

We almost always do ours in the oven - I cook it on cookie cooling racks sitting inside rimmed baking sheets lined with foil so the bacon is not sitting in the grease as it cooks. it comes out nice and crispy, just like we like it.

• DLM2000-GW
    last year

I have a large toaster/convection oven - part of my low end outdoor kitchen - and it's the only place I cook bacon. Pre-heat to 425, put the bacon into the COLD oven and when it reaches temp it's done. Perfect every time (thick cut, thin might be different) and my house doesn't smell like bacon. I hate putting my head on the pillow at night and smelling bacon!

• Bunny
    last year

I have done the oven method once and it was fantastic. But my go-to is the microwave, where I'm just fixing 2-3 slices for myself. And there's plenty of rendered fat to save and use for other things. It's the only time I actually cook in the MW (as opposed to reheating or thawing).

• teeda
    last year

I have an oven style air fryer that I now cook the bacon in. I like that the grease drips away, and find it easier to clean after.

• 3katz4me
    Original Author
    last year

Yeah, I've done a few slices in the microwave but they don't cook as well. Now that I use the oven I just cook a pound for whatever I need and put the unused portion in the fridge or freezer and it's all ready to go next time I need some.

• Jilly
    last year
    last modified: last year

Mmm, bacon. Yes, I’ve been cooking it in the oven for a while.

If not that, we use our electric griddle.

When I read your post, I thought of Darth Vader, and ”Come to the darkside” … then wondered if there were any Vader/bacon crossovers.

Of course there are!

• Kswl
    last year

Yes. i use a Nordic half sheet pan lined with parchment and its companion wire rack sitting on it. the bacon is laid across the wire rack and I use the convection fan in my oven. Cooks perfectly and clean up is easy. i spray the wire rack with Pam before placing the bacon.

• Irish2
    last year

Exactly how KSWL cooks it!

• just_terrilynn
    last year

I mostly buy the large pack of Costco precooked bacon. It still gives out a bit of bacon grease but not much. When I buy apple bacon it goes in the oven.

• gsciencechick
    last year

Yes, DH cooks it in the oven.

• bbstx
    last year

This is how I cook bacon in the oven. I do occaisionally cook it plain, but most often it is Millionaire’s Bacon. The recipe is from a bacon trade association newsletter which I hunted down after having this bacon at Fred’s in Sausalito. This is NOT candied bacon.

• Jilly
    last year

Ohhhhhhh, bb 😋😋😋

• 3katz4me
    Original Author
    last year

I will try the rack as some of you do - sounds like a good idea.

• bbstx
    last year

Jinx, try it on a BLT. You’ll be ruined for life!!

• Jilly
    last year

Bb, I will!

We’re meeting my DD at a vegan Mexican restaurant tomorrow … but I’ll be dreaming of your bacon. :D

• l pinkmountain
    last year
    last modified: last year

I cook bacon in the oven when I do a big batch, like when I have my Dad over for BLT's. It is kind of a greasy mess but I have picked up some great tips here. Cool thread!

Last time I did it I spilled grease but it turned out for the best, because my oven was in need of cleaning anyway . . .

Wondering if there is a "no splatter" bacon cooking pan for the oven . . .

• jill302
    last year

Yes, I prefer to cook bacon in the oven. My brother introduced me to this method a number of years back. So easy, so much less mess.

We make a glazed bacon similiar to the Millionaire’s Bacon for Christmas breakfast. So good.

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    last year

Yes, but I use a pan with a insert to drain the grease. I save my bacon grease for cooking.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    last year

Another yes here, wouldn't do it any other way. No flipping, no spatters. I usually put my oven on 310° unless I'm pressed for time because it stays more flat at the lower temp, which helps it cook more evenly. More fat renders out before the meat part gets too hard.

If you like sweet meats, try baking brownsugar onto bacon. Sprinkle as evenly as possible, then pat it down so it all looks wet. Bake as usual. Candied bacon. MMMmmmm!