Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stephanie_loureyboedigheimer

What throw pillows/art should I use with this couch? Color scheme???

My husband picked this couch out for our new home and I'm having a hard time knowing which direction to go with the living room now. We have neutral flooring, a medium brown recliner which has to stay (boo!), and nothing on the walls. And then we have this VERY BLUE COUCH (pic from AllModern where we bought it!) I am struggling with which direction to go with the whole room now. I prefer transitional style (think Studio McGee) and my husband prefers mid-century mod (his favorite color is 60's green/avocado). How do I implement both our styles without it looking too over the top? This is our informal living room? I'd like to start with pillows & art and go from there. Help, please!!!!

Comments (25)

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    last year

I'd go a little bohemian with either indigo and white accessories or kilim accessories that have some blue in them.

Option 1:

Off-White Wool Blend Lumbar Pillow With Blue and Brown Pattern · More Info

Bohemian White Cotton Accent Pillow With Blue Tassel Details · More Info

Kirman Bohemian Medallion Light Gray/Blue/Orange 9'x12' Area Rug · More Info

Option 2:

Bohemian Turkish Tequila Hand Woven Kilim Throw Pillow · More Info

Modern Turkish Luciano Hand Woven Kilim Throw Pillow · More Info

Retro Turkish Kilim Gigi Red/Blue Wool Rug - 6'0'' x 8'1'' · More Info

Stephanie Lourey-Boedigheimer thanked Sabrina Alfin Interiors
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

Do you love art ? If so then start with a piece of art IMO MCM is afar cry from boho so think about that . Transitional can handle a bit MCM a bit traditional if done right .

Stephanie Lourey-Boedigheimer thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Stephanie Lourey-Boedigheimer
    Original Author
    last year

I love art! Can I ask what IMO stands for? I really do like the eclectic style, and love the boho idea above for the colors. I live in the Midwest so winters are tough with the dreary grayness, so those colors automatically made me happy. Do you have any favorite art pieces that you think would work with the blue couch? I am very open to any ideas and we have a big wall to put a big piece of art on. Thanks for your advice!

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    last year

IMO: In My Opinion.

Stephanie Lourey-Boedigheimer thanked Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    Original Author
    last year

Ah, yes! Makes sense. I thought there was a new design style that I was unaware of! BTW, I am really stuck on which option to go with. My husband loves Option 2 & I love Option 1. Thanks for the amazing advice!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last year

Start with a rug and then worry about pillows.

Stephanie Lourey-Boedigheimer thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • decoenthusiaste
    last year

On my monitor I'd say the sofa is periwinkle. Here are some colorways you could use, whatever style you decide to lean into.

Woodvalley - Bathroom · More Info

Potomac Living Room · More Info

Michigan Summer Home · More Info

Turn of the Century Cottage · More Info

Turn of the Century Cottage · More Info

Stephanie Lourey-Boedigheimer thanked decoenthusiaste
  • PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    last year
    last modified: last year

Depends on rug you get. In general browns, gold , neutral gray work good with blue.

Stephanie Lourey-Boedigheimer thanked Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
  • decoenthusiaste
    last year

Here are some ideas to combine boho and MCM. MCM furniture with boho accessories should do it..

Boho/Mid-Century Living Room · More Info

Vintage Bungalow: Mid-century modern living by Kimball Starr Interior Design · More Info

Modern Meets Boho · More Info

Bala Cynwyd Mid-Century by Design Manifest · More Info

Stephanie Lourey-Boedigheimer thanked decoenthusiaste
  • Maureen
    last year

Hold off on cushions... easy item to decide on. Get a good sense of how to mix Studio McGee and MCM. Don’t go too far in either direction. Inject MCM with art, coffee table, even lamps.

Stephanie Lourey-Boedigheimer thanked Maureen
  • ffpalms
    last year

The paper tapestry is from Anthropologie.

All the pillows below are Studio McGee from Target.

Stephanie Lourey-Boedigheimer thanked ffpalms
  • RedRyder
    last year

The periwinkle blue couch in a mostly white room will look bright and happy. You can always throw a quilt over the brown chair.

A striking painting that complements the couch will work, too. I think it’s a totally happy colored couch! Consider adding blush accessories. (Unless you like the blue and yellow rooms.)

Stephanie Lourey-Boedigheimer thanked RedRyder
  • HU-487844405
    last year

Pillows and sofa throws are a great way to mix both of your styles. I suggest the (1) Lumbar Kandinsky Cushion Cover Rectangle Farbstudie Quadrate Wool 13x21 by Kashmir Designs (in Houzz shopping in decor section) for your husband’s MCM taste; (2) for your transitional taste, the DII 60x50" Modern Cotton Diamond Cut Throw in Multi-Color/White by Design Imports, and (3) the table Chantell Solid Mango Wood Drum Table by Mango Furniture Inc. to coordinate with sofa legs and brown chair remaining, and lastly…something like "Abstract Water Reflection" Oil Painting by International Image & Canvas (but art paintings are a really personal choice… then you can go from there, adding textural ivory/beige throws a la McGee and solid pillow or throw in avocado!!! I happen to like that color also because my house sports an avocado ceiling when we moved in, and it is fabulous! Would not change it for the world because it fits this type of home’s architecture and is elegant to look at after all these years…

Stephanie Lourey-Boedigheimer thanked HU-487844405
  • ffpalms
    last year

RedRyder’s comment regarding blush accessories reminded me of this photo I had saved - though it’s not exactly blush. I though you might want to see how your blue couch appears among this warm color.

Stephanie Lourey-Boedigheimer thanked ffpalms
    Original Author
    last year

That is a whole other angle I hadn’t thought about. Thanks for the visual!

Original Author
    last year

Wow! I have so many more options that I never would have come up with. Thank you all for the help, you are all so talented. It’s fun to see how people style the same thing in such a unique way. Definitely inspired!

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

IMO sudio Mcgee and MCM are perfect apirs this is great example and as for art you need to choose what makes you happy and IMO art is always my driving force in my decor since we collect art. Go spand a day at galleries to get a feel for what you both love that is how you buy art . You can order from Art.com for pieces that are that same look if collecting originals is not your thing.

Stephanie Lourey-Boedigheimer thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • ffpalms
    last year

I’m loving that blush idea. Could you post a photo of the brown recliner? That may help posters with more appropriate ideas to make it fit in with the whole.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

it would be a lot more helpful if we could see the entire space where you plan on putting this sofa.

neutral flooring and a brown recliner can mean a lot of things to diff people.

lets see the room, the lighting, the tv, any consoles, etc.

Stephanie Lourey-Boedigheimer thanked Beth H. :
    Original Author
    last year

I will post when I get back home in a few days. Thanks!

• plf12652
    last year

Let’s see the brown recliner because that’s the elephant in the room.

Stephanie Lourey-Boedigheimer thanked plf12652
  • everdebz
    last year

Did anyone say? 'imo' stands for 'in my opinion'

Medium brown can be a lovely neutral toast color.... or a strong golden brown yikes... ;)

Klimt Blue Seed Pillow Cover Elements Art Nouveau Hand Embroidered Wool 18x18" · More Info

"Cobalt Sea View" Canvas Wall Art, 60"x20" · More Info

36" x 24" Himalayan Mountains by Tai Prints - Print on Canvas Fabric White · More Info

Blue Starry Night Decorative Pillow Cover Van Gogh Hand Embroidered Wool 18x18 · More Info

GDF Studio Suffolk French Style Fabric Arm Chairs, Wasabi, Single · More Info

Stephanie Lourey-Boedigheimer thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    last year

Indigo / light navy?

Ourika Moroccan Geometric Indoor/Outdoor Rug, Navy/Beige, 8x10 · More Info

16" Blue White Cosmic Circle Boho Suede Throw Pillow · More Info

Bertaina "La Bella Estate" Canvas Print, Unframed loose canvas · More Info

Mason Mid-Century Modern Button Tufted Fabric Recliner, Fabric/Muted Green, Single Chair · More Info

• everdebz
    last year

To me doesn't look like periwinkle- but this could be an idea

"Festif" CF Print, 36"x24" · More Info

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!