Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msannie48

How to cozy up a large bedroom

msannie48
last year

Looking for some ideas to make this bedroom cozier. It feels a little blah to me.

Comments (37)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last year

You're not doing the room any favors with the queen-size bed and nighstands.

You can add the wall paint to the tray on the ceiling.

You could add something on the wall behind the nightstands.

• Rawketgrl
    last year
    last modified: last year

Good start! It is a lot of....beige. I love your yellow accents. Add black or a dark brown with deeper yellow accents.

Remove the TV & metal wall art

Put the tall boy dresser where the full length mirror is.

Larger art on wall next to bed and on either side of bed over night tables.

Drapes with some presence will help.

Bench under window.

Try the chairs at end of bed in one these configurations:

deeper colored accessories:

Drapes with presence:

• everdebz
    last year

Sky blue idea for ceiling?

Are the chairs buttermilk, or are they ivory? Thank you.

• arcy_gw
    last year

I think you need a coffee bar.

• Snaggy
    last year

Very cold colour.. need something warmer

• djb10
    last year

My bedroom is nearly identical to yours and i struggle because it’s a huge room. We recently added board and batten to the wall behind the bed (and the one you see directly when you walk in). I love it.

• djb10
    last year

Here it is. Adds texture, depth and custom styling to the room

• msannie48
    Original Author
    last year

I forgot to add, there is a really nice view out the large windows of a pond and wooded area, thus the swivel chairs by the window and light drapes. The chairs are yellow, the ottoman is light gray. I already have a coffee bar upstairs in another room. The wall color is gray and the carpet is gray. Initially I was trying for a sophisticated look but after four years it is just boring.
    I do like the idea of doing something on the wall behind the bed. But there is so much empty space. I am going to try some rearranging. Thank you for some ideas.

• RedRyder
    last year

You need a strong accent color. It can be used on the back wall of the bed and in accessories. My first thought is a navy that is not too black and not too bright.

I like the idea of moving the chairs and ottoman to the end of the bed with a small rug in between. The bench can be moved someplace else or to another room.

We all covet large bedrooms and then when we have them, they are tough to design. I’m sure you will get more great suggestions here.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

How big is the closet? IMO a bigger bed will do not much to cozy up this space . Maybe a wall of nice drapery on the window wall but I think a bigger closet and less bedroom would be my chice but I do need to know how big the closet is .

• niccidhg
    last year

Following

• Maureen
    last year

I have lots of ideas, but they depend on your budget and level of change you are willing/wanting. Given the feeling of an unbalanced space, a bit of blandness/heaviness and your lovely view:

Layout: Try bed facing window, move highboy between cupboards, place dresser with a mirror where mirror was, add a console/cabinet with the tv where bed was and balance wall with some art and a plant. Bonus is lower abd better tv viewing.

Decor: if leaving bed where it is, wall molding would be a great addition. If it were me, I’d paint room a creamy white for lightness and more interest.

Accessories: I’d update/layer bedding using creamy yellow shades, to pull in the yellow chairs, as they feel lost.

• Jenny Kakases
    last year

Have you considered placing the tv in front of the chairs like this? It might be a good idea. Add a bench by the window(my favs are the Barcelona ones). Maybe try ceiling decor that doesn't look too distracting

• Anna Devane
    last year

Have you tried placing the bed where the tall chest/tv is? I think the gray color is not helping the room. You have a beautiful view that need to be the focal point of the room.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

I happen to love gray bedrooms . this is one of my faves maybe use this for inspiration

• JT7abcz
    last year

Well, here's another layout suggestion for you. It's a large room with small pieces that make it look choppy and there is a pinch point between the edge of the bed and one of the yellow chairs. I'd keep the bed, TV and yellow chairs where they are which allows both areas to see the TV and view, and get some larger supporting pieces to help fill the gaps.

• The highboy is too narrow where it is now. Get a long console instead and wall mount the TV above it on a swivel that can also be pushed flat against the wall. .
    • Move the highboy where the dresser is, directly across from the bed.
    • Shift the dresser and round mirror where the large mirror is hanging so it's directly across from the entry. Add a lamp to softly illuminate that side, which will also help you access items in the dresser.
    • Push the yellow chairs closer to the window so there is more room to get to the left side of the bed. Try placing the small table under the window in between and maybe a small lamp if you read there. You may be able to leave the bench at the foot of the bed, if not, place it where the small table is now.
    • Remove the 3rd chair in the corner. Get longer pieces on each side, either tables or simple, open desks. Large scale artwork or mirrors above them and taller lamps in front will give that wall more presence. The bedside tables are too small and they're forcing you to fill in the gap with a 3rd chair. There are some great photos above which provide examples.

Lamps and next level bedding and full drapes will help make it cozy too. Consider a 3rd color to help warm it up, maybe a warm, soft brown. If you aren't going to draw the drapes daily, adding some blackout shades will help with sleep.

• decoenthusiaste
    last year

I would also put the tall chest of drawers between the doors where the dresser is. Dresser in place of the large wall hung mirror. If the purpose of the mirror is to check yourself after dressing, try a smaller mirror on the interior side of the closet door Purchase a credenza for the TV to stay on the wall opposite the window. Rugs over carpets don't always work, but you might try one that you can return if it doesn't. That could add pattern and warmth.

• Momof5x
    last year

I just put my armchair at end of bed with a coffee table, also bought a swivel table ( from Amazon) a large one for my tv so I can turn it in all directions if needed. I would add some art work, flower vases, and a rug to anchor the sitting area. It will look cozier. Someone commented on a coffee bar, I have a specific place on small dresser just for a warm drink when needed- it was there before but since Corona we have all added a warm beverage area in our rooms, some use just a simple table and some on dressers. It also has a cookie jar. We of course, use main family area but it’s handy when needed now so stays there.

• everdebz
    last year

Some re-thinking - if there's view for you - add seating whether chaise / loveseat. Where the bed? how large is the room?

Some type of table - bring black vase/ flowers over.

Armen Living Regis Contemporary Gray Fabric and Black Metal Sofa LCRE3GR · More Info

GDF Studio Melaina Tufted Scroll Arm New Velvet Loveseat, Emerald · More Info

• tracefloyd
    last year

Rearrange what you have. Don't buy anything but paint.

Paint the walls in Benjamin Moore Healing Aloe. A soothing gray green that would go with the cool gray carpet. BM calls it a blue but it reads green in interiors

I like the idea of the bed facing the window. It will break up the long length of the room. Place the bed on the entry door wall.

Don't use the TV in this bedroom. You said cozy. The bedroom should be a retreat.

Leave the swivels where they are but move them closer together and closer to the window. Use the rectangular stand for the flower vase in front of the window.. Use the shorter angular stand as the occasional table between the swivels.

Pair the dresser and tall bureau on the wall where the bed is now. Landcape over dresser with same accessories. Tall chest on its left with the 2 small white frames. That plant looks sad, remove it. Twin wall frames as they are. Botanical wall art same height but between bed and door.

Move the ottoman and gold marble-top to the big mirror where it is now and create a dressing area. Place clothes hooks between the closet doors. Lower the mirror so you can use it.

After all that, determine where the bed is best on that door wall to balance the space. Bedside tables/lamps each side of the bed. Bench on wall to right of bed. Leave the shears, they bounce light around.

Pull the gray armchair out of the corner a bit, but only if there enough room at the foot of the bed for bench and swivels across from it. Otherwise no room for the gray armchair.

Look at how well Healing Aloe works with the browns and grays and gold. Others on Houzz say it works in all rooms and acts as a neutral and in all light conditions. I'm convinced it will tie the room together.

Here is a very rough sketch, lol, and not to scale as I don't have room dimensions. Just tweak it. All pieces are what you already have.

• everdebz
    last year

So pretty with yellow!? and softened wood finish

GDF Studio Megan Classical Tufted Loveseat, Blue, Fabric · More Info

• everdebz
    last year

For contrast. Could add throw on bed also.

Supreme Soft Aqua Handloomed Throw Blanket · More Info

GDF Studio Charlotte Modern Simple Elegant Fabric Loveseat, Dark Teal · More Info

• everdebz
    last year

With soft color bedding, possibly this blue-green, but lighter... or light neutral.

Picket House Calabasas Loveseat, Green · More Info

• everdebz
    last year

Pretty, and brings tone of furniture I think... with rug or large canvas art for more.

Premier Coral and Blush Handloomed Throw Blanket · More Info

Persian Charm Boiled Wool Throw, Charcoal, Rust · More Info

• everdebz
    last year

Like sharing a papason chair -- this is interesting-

GDF Studio Callade Buttoned Fabric Reclining Loveseat, Light Gray Tweed · More Info

• everdebz
    last year

On grey carpeting, this would still be serene... I don't think you need to paint walls.

Weave & Wander Omari Ombre Medallion Rug, Azure, 5'x8' · More Info

• Jennifer Hogan
    last year

Yellow and gray is a very soft, sophisticated palette and can be beautiful. I think you just need a bit more yellow. The gray is taking over.

Another option would be to add a second access color.

I would probably set out looking for a bedspread or area rug that has yellow and gray and see what makes your heart sing. If it also has some soft greens or blue or purple or pink you could add that additional color in your décor.

• everdebz
    last year

Not saying it's worth $105, but are these your colors? at foot of bed maybe transitional look lumbar by shams/pillows.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/775817473/floral-woven-throw-blanket-with-fringe

• everdebz
    last year

This is almost a later decision, cause it's 'busy' imo. If these have similar hue to your chairs - on a good wall for it....

would a plug-in fireplace be nice?

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1084361353/van-gogh-wall-art-set-of-9-prints

• everdebz
    last year

I see your landscape art -- this type another spot?

https://www.etsy.com/listing/657163851/oleanders-by-van-gogh-in-various-sizes

• lmmcnitt
    last year

You could do something cool with the tray ceiling inset such as moldings or a warm wood color. It would warm up the room and give it some dimension.

• everdebz
    last year

Soft color, and some fabric volume!

A 'contemporary cozy' excitement, because with opposite yellow nearby.

Lush Decor Ravello Pintuck Ruffle Skirt Bedspread Woodrose 3Pc Set King · More Info

Alexandria Myra Wine Area Rug, 7'10"x10'6" · More Info

• everdebz
    last year

Volume, detail, fluff. ;)

Serena Comforter White 3Pc Set King · More Info

• everdebz
    last year

A basic casual, and like your bright flower -

Leahanna Floral Pattern Lightweight Oversized Quilted Coverlet Set, Full/Queen · More Info

• Geraldine White
    last year

a lot lot lot of pillows <3