Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tinam1962

So - who of you are in Florida?

Tina Marie
last year

How close are you to the hurricane's predicted route? I know of 3, but not sure who else here from our board might be in harm's way. Are any of you having to evacuate?

Keeping you all in my prayers! Keep us updated when/if you can.

Comments (98)

• just_terrilynn
    last year
    last modified: last year

I wonder if Trails friends who were staying pretty close to the water in Venice got out of there.

Please everyone check back in later with updates on friends, family and yourself. ❤️❤️❤️

• deegw
    last year

https://www.ventusky.com/?p=26.515;-82.138;9&l=gust

I'm speechless looking at this radar picture of the gusts.

• petalique
    last year

^^^ dee, that induces vertigo!

• DLM2000-GW
    last year

Hoping everyone stays safe through this - it's a huge storm. Property damage/destruction is inevitable but hoping no loss of life.

• ks92
    last year

Our home in Naples has been without power for 2 hours and neighbors are reporting lanai structure damage in addition to screens and trees down. We are up north and ready to head down for cleanup as soon as we are able.

• User
    last year

@just_terrilynn yes as it turns out he is in WI with his son who actually lives in the same block in Osprey! My friend’s GF has driven to her DD’s on the East coast so she will be fine with whatever they do there and they have 3 littles so they need her help anyway no matter what so all safe.

Horrific storm. This will be like Camille 1968 we had 185 mph winds . My hope is everyone will be safe. c

• maddielee
    last year

Because the storm is hitting south of Tampa, the opposite of a storm surge is in process for parts of the Tampa Bay.

Weather video showing storm suck.

https://youtu.be/q_XIVI34l4g

• Ally De
    last year

Dee, thank you very much for sharing that link. Somehow it's both horrifying and mesmerizing.

102 MPH winds in Sanibel, right this moment - and the eye is still offshore.

Not all that much farther up the coast to Sarasota - and they're "just" at 56 MPH right now.

Where ever this beast comes ashore is going to be devastating. If Sanibel is at 102 and they're not even in the eyewall....my God. My heart aches for people in its path.

• just_terrilynn
    last year

Ks92, Naples mayor just said they are closing off entry to Naples. Undetermined when people can come back in.

• LynnNM
    last year

My brother and SIL, thankfully, rode out Hurricane Ian safely at a friend’s home near theirs in Punta Gorda. They had/have no power, etc., but thankfully had enough cell phone power to keep us family updated. He told me that it was immensely comforting to have close friends with them during this. But, it definitely was also incredibly frightening, as the eye passed very close by them there! Tomorrow, if they’re able, they’ll drive (if their car is undamaged) back to their home on the golf course in Punta Gorda. to see if it’s still there and/or how damaged It is.

This just reminds me, once again, of how fragile life can be. Having worked in medicine most of my adult life, I do vividly know that, but this night, the reality of it all hits me again very hard! But . . . tonight, I’m also very thankful that my wonderful brother and sister-in-law are still alive. I pray for all those still reeling from this disaster!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    last year

Lynn, they've been saying how many people get injured or killed after a storm when they try to return home, driving through flooded areas and being swept away or running into live power lines or trees falling, or traffic accidents as intersections have no lights with no power. Please encourage them not to go back until it is absolutely safe to do so. I know it's hard not to know, but better if they can hold off until they get the all clear.

• Allison0704
    last year

Agree, it is very dangerous to be out today with so many power lines down and water. Glad you were able to hear so quickly they are okay. Sometimes that takes days.

• maddielee
    last year

When the sheriff okays driving, it will be ok to drive…

We are without power, most roads are open and clear to use. I‘m sad to see the destruction south of us (Tampa).

@frankginakay How are You?

• Tina Marie
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks to those checking in! Hoping to hear from others soon. Take care!!

• bpath
    last year

I just saw the Sanibel Island is inaccessible, the causeway collapsed, so no one will be checking on their condos there today.

• just_terrilynn
    last year

I do hope Frankginakay checks back in.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    last year

Bridge to Sanibel Island...

• bbstx
    last year

DSIL’s family’s beach house is on Sanibel Island on the beach. No way to know how much damage there is yet. And with the causeway gone, it will be quite sometime before they can find out, I’m sure.

• dedtired
    last year

So does that mean anyone on Sanibel is stuck there? WellI guess there are boats. What a mess.

• eld6161
    last year

Our home watch woman just reported back. Our house is fine!

We have photos of our street flooded yet nothing inside!

• bbstx
    last year

Dedtired, DD and I were just discussing getting back and forth to Sanibel in boats. We have friends there with 2 boats, one is a very shallow draft boat and the other has a much deeper draft. A big issue would be submerged debris. We’ve heard reports of cars washing away. It would be tough if a boat were to hit something like that.

eld, what good news!

• rubyclaire
    last year

With the easterly turn, my area of north central Florida (about equal distance between the Gulf and the Atlantic) was largely spared. Still...rainy and breezy yesterday and windy today. Lots of tree debris in the streets and yards and some power out in areas but overall VERY minor. The images coming in from Ft. Myers & Sanibel are devastating but I hope it remains largely property damage. I believe I heard that with Hurricane Irma, 7 people actually lost their lives due to the storm but over 70 died in the aftermath. I hope everyone contunes to stay safe.

• bpath
    last year

Just came from a group where one of the members has a winter condo on Sanibel. They don’t know even when they will know anything!

• maddielee
    last year

“So does that mean anyone on Sanibel is stuck there? WellI guess there are boats.”

Yes. Everyone on Sanibel should have evacuated when told, before the storm hit. Of course some did not. Hope those who didn’t are ok. But they were told, often, not to expect emergency services if they choose to stay.

• bpath
    last year

Your boat might not be where you left it. And places to dock it might not be where they used to be, either.

• dedtired
    last year

Saw a photo of a house on fire on Sanibel. Of course it was just left to burn since emergency vehicles could not possibly get there. I suppose their only hope was an enormous wave would wash over it. Its all so sad.

• Tina Marie
    Original Author
    last year

That's awful ded!!

My sister and BIL live in Charleston (suburb), and have been through this before. They have gotten groceries, put up everything outside (furniture, etc.). If they lose power, they have their gas grill and a camp stove. Thankfully, it is supposed to be a category 1 if/when it hits there. They have alot of trees on their lot and neighborhood, so lines down is very likely. Thankfully, it is cooler than average there right now (same as us), so they will be fine without ac, if it comes to that. There is always a breeze coming from back of their house. I would just camp out on the screened porch. : )

• maddielee
    last year

Hey Orlando people, how are you and yours?

• bbstx
    last year

NOAA satellite imagery from Hurrican Ian. https://storms.ngs.noaa.gov/storms/ian/index.html#19/26.43644/-82.12428

This link might take you only to the Sanibel page or it might cover all of the areas affected by the storm. I’m not sure. We are using it to look at DSIL’s family’s house.

• cmm1964
    last year

Marco Island here. No water damage in house and no power. We are lucky

• msmeow
    last year

Maddielee, I am NW of Orlando in Winter Garden. We lost some small tree limbs but all is good. We never lost power and are high enough we didn't get flooding from the unrelenting rain. I'd be interested to know what the official rainfall amount was. I can't ever remember that much rain!

Thank you!

Donna

• OllieJane
    last year

This is where I donated, I know there are other organizations also, if you are able or interested.

https://www.volunteerflorida.org/donatefdf/

• pricklypearcactus
    last year

Really glad you're ok, cmm1964! I hope frankginakay is ok and just unable to get online. Ft Meyers looked to have been hit hard. I'm so sorry for those who have lost loved ones and those who have lost homes or have damage to their homes.

• Tina Marie
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you all for checking in and hope we hear from others soon! My sis and BIL have lost power and the storm should be hitting soon. The weather report there is that once the storm passes through, they are to have nice weather, so hopefully the power/tree crews can get to work quickly.

The stories from Venice, FL (retirement area) on Today this morning were heart-breaking.

• rubyclaire
    last year

Thank you OllieJane - Volunteer Florida is a wonderful organization.

• User
    last year

We have stayed in the Venice /Nokomis area the past two years for the month of April. We love the area and are hopeful that they can get needed help and recover as quickly as possible. It is certainly upsetting to see the devastation. We have ridden our bicycles over that entire area all the way to the end of Gasparilla and up to downtown Sarasota so we know the area very well.

We are renting a house in Arlington Park in Sarasota this year for March and April. I have contacted the owner but haven't heard yet how they are doing. I am hopeful that everyone is OK. I think that it was mostly trees down and power out. I still haven't heard from my cycling friend in Osprey but he is only a few miles north of Venice so I expect the damage is much the same.

• Feathers11
    last year

My sister and her family north of Orlando are without power, and she suspects it won't become available again until next week. Fortunately, their house is dry. BIL is checking on their rental properties, but it's difficult getting around.

She shared a photo from a neighbor's house that has what must be 3 feet of water flooded inside. My sister is grateful for a dry home, even without power.

My thoughts are with all of you and your loved ones going through this!

• just_terrilynn
    last year

It’s so sad to see all the lower income seniors that have lost everything. It’s not like they have time or means to recoup. It’s just so sad. There are so many and I wonder what is to become of them.

• gsciencechick
    last year

Carolinas checking in. Wind and rain are really picking up here. DH had to do a closing in the next county this morning, but at least the weather was better then. We have a concert scheduled for tonight and so far it is not canceled. Last month we had a concert cancellation literally 2 hours before the show due to COVID. But if the power's on, the show will go on I guess.

• rubyclaire
    last year

I agree JT, while we focus on keeping people safe in advance of a storm, the aftermath really alters lives in unimaginable ways.

• Feathers11
    last year

Yes, when my sister shared the photo of her neighbor's house with the flooding, I thought about what a mess that will be to clean up. But they are a younger family with plenty of support. I can't imagine how those who don't have that type of support, or who are elderly and alone, would be able to manage such a situation.

Gsciencechick, I hope you stay safe and can enjoy the concert.

• maddielee
    last year

“It’s so sad to see all the lower income seniors that have lost everything. It’s not like they have time or means to recoup. It’s just so sad. There are so many and I wonder what is to become of them.”

Remember 2004 when we (Florida) were slammed - Charley, Francis, Ivan and Jeanne? FEMA sent a bunch of small trailers to house those displaced. I hope that is an option now for some.

I’ve seen where a few air b&bs are donating stays, some long some shorter.

I’m still without electricty, the news we see is lacking in information.

I did see coverage that included video of a mobile home park. the homes look to be in pretty good shape. The tie downs did their job keeping them put. One would never guess that during the surge the homes had 8’ of water in them. Some of those poor souls had not evacuated, Its all so sad.

• DLM2000-GW
    last year

I've given to WCK - they are so on top of things and those poor people (especially the elderly) don't have the stamina to try and get a meal together.

Just a bit west of gscience and nothing here yet but the storm has to climb the mountains. Funny tho, lots of things around here already cancelled in advance of what might end up being nothing at all! I do expect we'll see rain and wind but since we regularly get 3 - 4" of wind driven rain at a time this will just be more of the same I expect.

• User
    last year

I just heard from the VRBO in Arlington park Sarasota and they are all fine but no power yet. They are just doing clean up now outside.

We here in Lexington VA are getting harder rainfall now. It has been off and on before this. We are expecting up to an inch a day through Monday with big wind gusts. Nothing we can't manage easily. I hope that those who are performing rescue services will be safe and have plenty of support , the searching for the survivors will be harrowing . c

• just_terrilynn
    last year

Maddie, did you see the vid of the elderly man who did not evacuate along with a few others in his mobile home park? He said something along the lines of he kept running to other houses of sticks to finally find shelter in one more secure only to watch his home blow away through the window. He got real choked up in the end and I have been boohooing since.

I sure hope they do bring in temporary trailers for them.

• deegw
    last year

I suspect there will be a lot of post-hurricane deaths in the elderly because of the mental and physical stress from cleaning up and rebuilding. It's heartbreaking.

• User
    last year

Heavy rains here now in Shenandoah Valley… 52 degrees and wind.

edited to add: my friend just emailed that their neighbors let them know they lost a palm tree and that’s all. No water damage or wind damage to house. There isn’t any power so everything in his freezer is rotten but that is fixable. He and his GF and his son will be back in a few days . They have stopped in Cincinnati to see family. glad that Osprey was spared. c

• gsciencechick
    last year

It rained pretty hard and wind from about 2-6 p.m. but the power stayed on. Then the rain let up, still a little windy. We were able to make it to our concert no problem. There really wasn’t any traffic because most things shut down. We did not have any widescale power outages here, just isolated. That the storm tracked more east was better for us.

• User
    last year

I thought the roof would come off in the middle of the night here!!! I didn’t look at the clock but I said ” rabbit rabbit” . Huge noise from the flexing of our standing seam metal roof and the rain was so loud! I went outside at 4:30 AM and checked around and all was secure but the wind was still gusting though not as bad and the rain was just a mist.

• DLM2000-GW
    last year

We had much ado about nothing! Didn't even get enough rain to fully wet the driveway. Watching the radar we could see the storm spinning as it approached us but it didn't have the energy to climb into the mountains and you could see it just go *poof*. Wonder if all the businesses and events that had closures in advance of the storm that didn't materialize will now scramble to open!

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz