Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ker9

To Add or Not To Add A Wall ...

ker9
last year
last modified: last year

Considering adding a wall to our open floor plan, which will turn the current small dining area into a storage/mudroom type area. I need help determining how this might negatively affect the living area. More pictures will be added to the comments. This is a mirror image of the floorplan.

Comments (26)

• ker9
    Original Author
    last year

More pictures...

The dark blue lines are possible new walls in approximate position.

Would change den double doors to single or pocket door to increase that wall, which would allow an existing wall unit to fit there for TV.

Would open laundry area wall for entry and close off kitchen area, possibly add kitchen storage or oven/microwave tower in the old door area.
    Also remove corner angle from kitchen counter and build out wall 6" or so on the angle end.

• ker9
    Original Author
    last year

More pictures...

From office to dining area

Wall with office doors

• ker9
    Original Author
    last year

dining area ceiling

• emilyam819
    last year

Seems like a good idea. You probably don’t use it as a dining room, since the kitchen nook and lanai.

ker9 thanked emilyam819
  • littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
    last year

I didn’t study your idea in detail but on the surface it seems sound. I would want a mudroom too, and you already have a dining nook for eating. Plus, I’m not a fan of wide open multi-use spaces in my home.

ker9 thanked littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
  • ker9
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you for the feedback. I’m hesitating because I’m not sure if it will make the make the living area feel boxed in or cozy and better layout.

• ker9
    Original Author
    last year

BTW, we are in recovery mode from Hurricane Ian so it seems like a good time to make a change since the wall and ceiling are already torn up.

• ker9
    Original Author
    last year

Kitchen view

• ker9
    Original Author
    last year

I was planning to close the kitchen to dining opening, open the laundry to new storage room, and keep the laundry to kitchen door,

• nickel_kg
    last year

Oh, I see now! :-)

ker9 thanked nickel_kg
  • Sarah
    last year

Good luck with your renovations after the hurricane. Please post back when you’ve completed the work so we can see how it’s going!

ker9 thanked Sarah
  • HU-402831377
    last year

What about moving the laundry to the closed off dining room. Then put a door from the current laundry room to the closed off dining room. It would open the space for a nice mud room from the garage and I think a better size laundry room. I am looking at the layout that you have with the blue lines above.

ker9 thanked HU-402831377
  • ker9
    Original Author
    last year

@HU-402831377 - moving the washer/dryer would require moving plumbing and venting, which would be expensive so I think I'll leave it where it is. ;)

• ker9
    Original Author
    last year

In the laundry room there are two doors on each end that open against the wall that I was thinking of opening, so that may not work. I might have to keep the current opening unless somone has a better idea? I may not need the door between laundry and kitchen but I do need the garage door,

• emilyam819
    last year

Well you’d definitely need an opening here.

• ker9
    Original Author
    last year

If both doors are open…

• emilyam819
    last year

You can change the kitchen door swing or just keep it closed most times or move the garage door to the new mudroom.

• everdebz
    last year

I'm curious if there is overflow of items [that need to be stored]?

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last year

Yes, I would work to use that space as a very large pantry to hold appliances and can goods etc. I have copied the wall layout of your Den entrance on the other side of the space to create a matching area that could hold double doors if you prefer. I straightened out the angled kitchen island so the path to your Nook is clear and wide.

ker9 thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • ker9
    Original Author
    last year

@BeverlyFLADeziner - Thank you! This is very helpful. I was thinking of closing one of the double doors on the office to make the wall larger to hold the wall unit I have and possibly change that door to a pocket door. I was also planning a single opening to the storage area across from the office. It's a logical path with a laundry basket rather than going through and around the corner of the kitchen. I was considering making kitchen angle into an L because there is a view out the back. (I could not get a private message to you, although I tried! I am hoping you are doing ok after Ian.)

ETA: The wall unit I have is 144" and the wall I'd like to put it on is 134" to the office door frame. The unit can be divided so currently part of it is in the dining area.

Eventually work on the kitchen, but since the ceiling is a mess and the wall between living and kitchen is torn up, it seems like an opportunity to do this relatively small change.

@everdebz - this would be a place for shoes and a bench, as well as vacuums, and household necessities like batteries, ight bulbs, tool box, etc. We currently have a food pantry, but if/when we remodel the kitchen that will change.

• ker9
    Original Author
    last year

I suppose we could potentially push out the laundry/kitchen wall to the end of the little counter next to the frig to enter kitchen and storage. This would be a longer term plan to combine with kitchen update, which I can't do right now.

• ker9
    Original Author
    last year

I’m rethinking this after taping it off and trying to envision it. What if we…1) fix the ceiling so it is all same (remove tray/bulkhead. 2) Build a closet along the dining/laundry wall that is accessible thru laundry room (has no door, just open). 3) remaining dining wall becomes a bar area with mini fridge. QUESTION: The laundry/dining wall is 81”. How deep is needed to have a little bench for shoes, place for vacuum, possibly litter box? Could possibly build out into garage thru closet for litter box.

• ker9
    Original Author
    last year

Also, the closet wall adjacent to kitchen/dining doorway might need to be angled since doorway is angled.

• cpartist
    last year

What about something like this? It's more extensive but the flow would be better.

You would have to walk through the mudroom from the garage which is a good thing since we tend to take the shortest route and not to turn to go into a room to take off stuff or leave stuff.

The laundry room is self contained this way.

There is direct access into the kitchen and into the foyer.

It preserves most of the living room.

• ker9
    Original Author
    last year

Update: the dining room bulkhead & tray ceiling are gone! I’m still unsure about the wall position, I like cpartist’s idea. We chose to get hurricane damage repaired first.