Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
artzzle

What is this plant?

Years ago I was given a planting of this. It gets tall (4-6') and bushy, and blooms like crazy from the end of July through August/early September. It also spreads, not ferociously but probably doubles every two years.

The flowers look sort of like mums. Can anyone help?

Comments (20)

• PRO
    Barnhart Gallery
    10 years ago
    Looks like dahlia -- not one of my go-to plants, perhaps someone else will be more certain?
    Cheryl @ Artzzle.com thanked Barnhart Gallery
  • Geneviève
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Mums ....not by those leaves a Dahlia yes ,but over here we have to dig those out in the fall or they would freeze ,

http://cache.desktopnexus.com/thumbnails/1313238-bigthumbnail.jpg
    Cheryl @ Artzzle.com thanked Geneviève
  • despinach
    10 years ago
    It might be zinnia elegans...not sure, but it looks like that.
    Cheryl @ Artzzle.com thanked despinach
  • Cheryl @ Artzzle.com
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I'm almost sure it isn't dahlias. Itt has thin stems and thin, hairy roots; not bulbs or tubers. It is easy to divide and transplant, and NEVER dies out over winter (Minnesota sub-zero temps). I also noted that bees don't seem to have much to do with it. Don't know why.
  • Cheryl @ Artzzle.com
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I also think it looks like a member of the mum family, but perhaps a wild strain. It's not zinnias though. Different look, stem and texture all together. Much more delicate of a bloom than the zinnias. Your picture is gorgeous though.
  • Cheryl @ Artzzle.com
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    To any other commenters, I have to do a bit of yard work in between the rain today, so don't give up on me if I don't reply immediately. Thanks.
  • Cheryl @ Artzzle.com thanked Geneviève
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    I think it's a Rudbeckia 'goldquelle'.
    Cheryl @ Artzzle.com thanked Carolina
  • PRO
    Veronica Lawrence Interiors
    10 years ago
    Looks like dahlias
    Cheryl @ Artzzle.com thanked Veronica Lawrence Interiors
  • PRO
    Barnhart Gallery
    10 years ago
    That looks like the one carolins!
    Cheryl @ Artzzle.com thanked Barnhart Gallery
  • Cheryl @ Artzzle.com
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hi all. I'm back. I think the blooms look like carolins. Carolin, can you give me a close up of the leaves on that plant? Thanks everyone for helping. Keep things coming if you have more information.
  • saller
    10 years ago
    I have Rudbeckia 'Golden Glow' in my garden. It looks like your plant and it is very tall - 6 to 7 feet. I bought it from Select Seeds.com
    Cheryl @ Artzzle.com thanked saller
  • Cheryl @ Artzzle.com
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Saller what do the leaves on yours look like? Also, I will see what I can find on line for the Golden Glow. I have had other Rudbeckia in the past that looked different. Thanks everyone.
  • Cheryl @ Artzzle.com
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hey everyone. Yes, it is the Rudbeckia Golden Glow. I found some on line that showed the leaves. Thanks so much everyone. I have pictures of arrangement with it on my website www.artzzle.com if you want to see it. Thanks.
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Glad the mystery has been solved. I was sound asleep when you asked me for a close-up of the leaves, so... ;-)
    Cheryl @ Artzzle.com thanked Carolina
  • midrashist
    10 years ago
    Botanists use the term DYC for darn yellow composite, as the family has so many many yellow flowers, some of which are difficult to distinguish.... The family compositaea (it's technically a compound structure made of many little flowers), or asteraceae is full of them. I have one which just showed up and grows more like 6-8 feet tall. Mine spreads by runners....and I hate yellow.
    Cheryl @ Artzzle.com thanked midrashist
  • Cheryl @ Artzzle.com
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    midrashist: I'll look up your terms to learn more, to see what other crazy relatives this thing may have. I too, am not crazy about yellow ... but mostly in decor. With our short summers here, I'll take every color I can get outside :) And these are strong enough for casual vase arrangements, with a little help from floral tape or wire, so I have fun that way too. Thanks. Safe holiday everyone.
  • Iva
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Hello, this Rudbeckia Laciniata, also called "Outhouse plant", is common even here in Czech Republic, middle Europe, in the old-fashioned village gardens and out of them. I made few photos, but its time is over already, here.
    Cheryl @ Artzzle.com thanked Iva
  • Cheryl @ Artzzle.com
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks Iva. Fun name "outhouse plant" :)
Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting