Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mflipup

How do you frame art on paper like this?

mflipup
last year

Has anyone framed a painting like this before? Do you have any recomendations? I got it in Vietnam. I’m not sure what type of paper or material is being used but it seems fragile. Its rolled up in a tube.

How do you frame this type of material being used for the art?

Do wrinkles typically come out of paintings like this? Its been rolled up in a tube, wrinkles aren't a big deal to me. I’m just curious if it’s meant to have them or not. I bought it 8 years ago and don‘t remember what it looked like hanging up when I purchased it.

Is it recommended to remove the white glossier card stock behind the art?

rough dimensions:

Artwork: 12.5” wide x 8” tall

Paper backing: 15.5” wide x 10 9/16” tall

Thank you for your suggestions.

Comments (15)

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    last year
    last modified: last year

Pretty!

I believe it should be behind glass. A frame shop should be able to advise you, I think.

mflipup thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    last year

Take it to a framing shop. They will mount and frame it. I'd put some matte board around the edges too. So, if, say, the art is 14" x 8", add 2" of matting plus the frame. And yes, they'll put glass in front, too.

mflipup thanked Sabrina Alfin Interiors
  • DLM2000-GW
    last year

Part of the look of that piece is the raw edges. If you removed it from the back piece (if that's even possible) and framed it without a mat or with a traditional mat on top you would lose those edges. I think it gets framed as is. I like that a lot - very interesting. It's not painted on rice paper is it?

mflipup thanked DLM2000-GW
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

Have you looked at the glass ones that are just 2 pieces of glass held together with clips That way the edges would show really well and the art would be the star not mat required.

mflipup thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • chispa
    last year

Don't leave art rolled up in a tube! Twelve years ago we lived in Japan and I bought several wood block prints. It is fine to travel with art rolled up in a tube, but you should really flatten it out when you get home. Place each piece between cardboard, or similar, to keep it flat and protected. Tape the edges of the cardboard and you can store them standing up in the back of a closet or even behind a dresser. I finally got around to framing some of the wood block prints a few months ago. They were flat, perfect and easy for the frame shop to frame.

mflipup thanked chispa
  • Jj J
    last year

Framing shop can offer suggestions. If the piece is important to you, do not have it adhered with glue or tape to a backing board. You will want a paper hinge holding it to archival paper stock so the colors don’t change from the glue or tape. And behind glass, I’d think.
    (Mom of paper conservator)

mflipup thanked Jj J
  • ptreckel
    last year

And you might want the glass to stand proud of the surface by more than the “normal” amount so that the texture of the surface doesn’t touch the glass. An experienced framer will know how to do this. NOT someone who works in a craft store, but a real frame shop.

mflipup thanked ptreckel
  • chispa
    last year

Look on yelp and google reviews to find a good local frame shop. And be prepared that framing (materials and labor), like everything else, has gotten more expensive.

• palimpsest
    last year

I would float this, probably take off the paper behind, if that can be done carefully.

Speaking of rolling, I have a piece that has been rolled up for over 60 years (the tube has an address from where my parents lived before I was born), It will have to be carefully flattened

• User
    last year

Whatever you do, don't press it under glass. The paint might stick to it over time. I like the idea of it being floated like the image Stiley posted above, where you can see the paper edges. Take it to a framing shop and they will have the knowhow to deal with it properly.

• 1929Spanish-GW
    last year

We have two pieces of art floated and framed with the same edge as yours. Things here are about to go under construction, but I tried to capture photos of the close up of the edge and the full effect. In our case, the print does not take up the entire piece of paper.

• mflipup
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you

• mflipup
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you all for the great feedback. I’m taking it into a local shop today to see what options they have available. I’d like to let the art shine and not have the frame/mat take over.

• mflipup
    Original Author
    last year

Also, I don’t think it can be removed from the card stock backing. I tried a little bit and it seemed like it was going to rip the art. The card stock seems to have some smudges on it so hopefully they can clean that up. If not, it’ll just add some character to it. :)