Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_676868959

Why do my Matt white wall tiles look grey?

HU-676868959
last year

Our tiler starting tiling our bathroom walls yesterday and when he left i noticed the colour looks grey both in natural and artificial lighting. Is there any way to make the tiles appear white with lighting or decorating tips or am I stuck with grey walls?

If I buy a product to add gloss to the tile finish will that make them look whiter?

I am considering adding a skylight which hopefully helps the situation.

When i purchased the tile i checked it in the room with the lighting and i liked the colour, I dont understand what happened.

Comments (30)

• mmc429
    last year

Reflection of your grey wall

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

WHY was that ever the selection with that floor? No light will change anything. A tile change will change it. You are attempting a warm and cool palette in the same space. Rarely works well. The gray wall doesn't work with that floor , either. .....sorry.

• tracefloyd
    last year
    last modified: last year

Daylight is blue and the shiny tile is picking that up. A sklight won't help for the same reason. A shiny treatment to the floor won't help either. The two tiles coordinate in the before photo...so odd.

Live with it or don't let him do any more tile work on the walls and rip it out. It's been done before. Ouch!

Try very warm lighting.

HU-676868959 thanked tracefloyd
  • Melissa R
    last year

yeah, a warm tuscon'ish floor with a more modern white wall tile just doesn't work. Some of what you are seeing is the gray/green wall making the white look darker.

• beesneeds
    last year

Your white tile is reflecting the color next to it. Since you have a dark grey, the tile is showing as grey. If you notice in the last pic, the wall tile is showing more grey up by the grey wall, and tones to more creamy white down by the floor where the floor tile is browner. If you paint that wall white, your tile will show white more. If you paint it a nice cream, you might be able to get it to reflect a creamier tone of white that might play better with the floor you have.

HU-676868959 thanked beesneeds
  • HU-676868959
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks, the grey wall you can see is waterproofing membrane, the white tiles are yet to be installed on that wall. There will be more travertine tiles on the wall above the shower shelf.

Hopefully once all the tiles are in and the white grout it will look better. i found a warm temp light and put it in there today and it did help a lot.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

The scheme and combo is to jam a square peg in a round hole : ) It's hiking boots with a nice sport coat and cashmere turtleneck ? It is the materials together, as much as the hues. So sorry, but what doesn't work in daylight? Doesn't work, most often. The light bulb thing ? Uhhhhhhhhhhh no. But you can try to talk yourself into it.

• lkloes
    last year

JAN, be nice!

• User
    last year

Ignore the troll.

That first picture you posted -- it looks like it was taken with only natural light coming through the window? I think the wall tile looks good there. beesneeds may be correct in that it's reflecting the grey from the waterproofing membrane across from the wall tile. Hold up a big white sheet to cover up the grey area and see if the tile looks better!

HU-676868959 thanked User
  • morz8 - Washington Coast
    last year

I'm not so sure there is a problem....casting another vote for the tile picking up the color from the dark gray waterproofing membrane. If anything like this household, you probably don't have anything that big to cover the gray just to see what you think. Or, I might have a white sheet I could tape up....

• coray
    last year

Maybe people don’t like Jan’s direct delivery, but she’s right. The 2 tile choices unfortunately are not good together, in color as well as in style, and I don’t think they work together even in the “before install” photo. And I don’t think the larger, matte tiles are white. If you like a cleaner, modern look the travertine has to go.

• beesneeds
    last year

That turned out quite nicely! Much warmed up, it almost has a bit of an ombre effect with the way the light plays on the tile.

• thinkdesignlive
    last year

I think it looks great! This was a classic case of ‘finish it’ before picking it apart. I think you did well - enjoy!

• mmc429
    last year

This is terrific. I don’t think I’ve ever been part way through a big project and had a moment of nervousness. Love the warmth! Looks like a great space. Good job and thanks for following up with the share on the finished room.

• Kay p
    last year

Looks great! Thank you for sharing.

• motupeg
    last year

Glad it worked out. Love your cabinet.

• Connecticut Yankeeeee
    last year

Really looks beautiful! Thank you for the update.

• mmc429
    last year

Dang. I meant to comment that I’ve never NOT had a moment of nervousness.

• spindle22
    last year

It’s beautiful. Just curious what is the black square on the floor?

• HU-676868959
    Original Author
    last year

The square is a tile in floor waste (drain)

If I had planned better I would have told the plumber to place it under the vanity, lessons for next time!

• User
    last year

It turned out really beautiful! You can cover the drain with a small rug.

• la_la Girl
    last year

looks so lovely - fresh and bright but still warm and inviting!

• C Kasp
    last year

Looks nice...enjoy it. And yes, Jan not so PROfessional! 😊

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

HU, can you share the names of the tiles you used? I think it came together pretty good! (agree about your square drain. maybe throw down a little decorative runner or rug when the water is not in use?

or, a teak wood bath mat. right over the drain.

they come in all sizes, tones, shapes

something warm w/a bit of color to go w/what you have might be nice.

HU-676868959 thanked Beth H. :
  • Barbara Almandarz
    last year

So much is affected by the lights you have. Try standard vs LED lights.

HU-676868959 thanked Barbara Almandarz
  • RedRyder
    last year

It workout in the end. Glad you’re happy with your bathroom.

• kl23
    last year

Thank you for posting this, especially the final result. The lesson you learned about reflected light is important to 1) anyone in mid-project, and 2) anyone choosing anything in a room with exterior light.

HU-676868959 thanked kl23
  • oreolucca1
    last year

I love your bathroom and i think the tiles together are fantastic

HU-676868959 thanked oreolucca1
  • Alicia
    last year

Looks great! Obviously nothing wrong with your choices. The bathroom looks warm and relaxing. Well done!

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH