Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heimdall83

Is this a LOT of sugar for a brownie recipe?

I've inherited a bottle of coffee liquer that's sat unused in a cabinet since... maybe the Carter Administration.

Aside from needing to be sure it's drinkable, I've been looking for something to do with it. I don't drink liquor, but that's just personal taste and not any sort of positon on it. But I've been lookig for a dessert recipe.

I came across this brownie recipe. Along with 8 oz unsweetened chocolate and 1-1/2 cups AP flour, it calls for 3 full cups of sugar.

I don't have a real sweet tooth. I don't like sweet main or side dishes (no glazed- anything), and I tend to stay away from very sweet desserts (e.g., baklava), but even taking that into account this seems like a lot of sugar. Looking through the brownie recipes in my archives, the next largest amount uses 2-1/2 cups, but that's for three times as much flour, about the same amount of unsweetened chocolate, plus 1-1/3 cups (unsweetened) cocoa powder.

To me, the sweetness of the brownies would overwhelm everything else. Is 3 cups within the realm of the reasonable (for most people) or is this a mistake?

Comment (1)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio