Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jet_force

Kitchen floors! Need your advice...

Jet Force
last year

Thank you in advance for you guidance.. just love this forum! We want tile in our new kitchen... we have a very large, ~1,000 sq ft kitchen, white shaker cabinets, 2 islands, ... our floors will be dark mahogany (see picture) and I found this floor that I love... it is large format (48" x 48").. do you think it will work? I know you should contrast the tile w the hardwood... and not try to match it..is this enough of a contrast. the floors will only meet in one corner... it is not open concept across the two spaces.. thank you!

48" x 48" kitchen tile

hardwood in DR, LR, Entry,

view of walnut color tile installed

Comments (16)

• cpartist
    last year

Why in the world would anyone need or want a 1000 square foot kitchen?

• User
    last year

That’s 1000 sq ft of busy. Style does not harmonize with your other flooring.

• herbflavor
    last year
    last modified: last year

go lighter......teak or fruitwood is just NOT your setting from what you show.

Gillon · More Info

• Jennifer Hogan
    last year

I am trying to envision working in 1000 sf kitchen that isn't a commercial kitchen where a decent amount of that space is the large walk in refrigerators and freezers. You may also have multiple cooks with multiple prep and cook and cleanup stations.

If you are cooking in this amount of space and have the stations more than 9' apart you are no longer working efficiently. Are you absolutely sure you don't have the measurement wrong.

Is it really 25x40 or 20x50? Is it all kitchen or is this a multi use space?

25x40 with a 9' triangle

• herbflavor
    last year

isnt the kitchen done?

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

I do not understand the question. You have flooring in the rest of the house that is one kind whay not just do that in the kitchen . BTW bigger is not better when it comes tokitchen design and 2 islands are IMO always bad design so post a few pics of the space or a plan from your designer BTW the floor in that kitchen in your inspiration pic does not work at all IMO.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    last year

Is there any way you can put that tile next to your wood floor?

On my screen it looks like it would work. But you need to show them next to each other.

I will pass on discussing the size of the kitchen since we haven't seen it and it's already there.

• Jet Force
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks everyone... should have mentioned it's multi space (laundry, mud, storage, etc.) I have a designer who advised we need the floor to contrast, and I was just trying get some ideas for tile given the lead time for materials these days. The kitchen is ~ 700 sq ft. Here’s a picture of the of the islands as the design is still a work in process.

Thank you for the suggestions HU-187528210.. the taupe chevron/herringbone is another tile we are considering along with a plain, stone tile. .. how large would you recommend for the size of the tiles for the herringbone pattern? Thanks everyone... I appreciate your honest opinions and guidance!

• Kendrah
    last year

Sorry, I'm still stuck on the 1,000 sq ft kitchen. Holy smokes, that is gigantic.

• loobab
    last year

On the left of the photo, is that really a peninsula, so that this is a U shaped kitchen with an island in the middle?

That makes sense to me, and it doesn't bother me that the base of the island is a different color when everything else is white.

I don't think that the sink in the island should be directly facing the stove top, two fannies should not be brushing each other. That is bad planning,

I don't think your kitchen floor needs to contrast either.

With a light-ish kitchen floor you can tell when it is dirty.

Kitchens have to be like the OR, functional and hygienic.

And by the way, I doubt you are using a certified kitchen designer, who would never have put a sink directly opposite a cook top.

Where is your refrigerator going to go?

I don't see a refrigerator in the above photo.

Is that photo a photo mock up of your kitchen?

If not, can you post a plan of your kitchen?

Do you have special kitchen needs?

For example, do you have a kosher kitchen so everything is duplicated or triplicated?

Do you cook with your mother or mother in law so you need a lot of space to spread out?

Do you have a large family and or some household help so a lot of people are eating there and there are a few cooks in there at one time?

The more you tell us, the more tips we can give you.

• Jet Force
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you Designers Consortium !! I agree.. and share the same concern about how dark they will be...

• Jet Force
    Original Author
    last year

hi thanks for the comments/guidance

everyone. That's a stock photo of 2 islands.... Meeting designer shortly... working with architect initial plans for now... Yes, the 700 sq ft includes a large eating area, coffee bar and wet bar... the kitchen is U shaped with the main sink on the wall facing the backyard and the refrigerator on the opposite wall.... was thinking of a prep sink on the island closer to the stove, not sure where on the island. .

• freedomplace1
    last year

I would not do tile at all. That's really a lot of area to be click-clackety walking around on hard tile. Not to mention, anything you drop - in terms of dishes, glasses, etc. - will most likely break. Too much impact with tile, imo. Consider bringing in an LVP that looks like stone or terrazzo - or even marmoleum/linoleum sheet! Or alternatively, just continue the hardwood into the kitchen. And btw, no dark floor is going to be too dark in your kitchen. It’s a big white kitchen... what can be too dark on a floor in there ?????