Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

Comments (12)

• spammie
    last year

"SimCityist, McCentury Modern, fast-casual architecture " !!!!

• ffpalms
    last year

This is a typical new home real estate photo from my area. My fantasy job is to build homes with soul to compete with these.

• spindle22
    last year

So true. A good start would be using real wood flooring throughout like they did back in the day. One good thing about this kitchen is using an actual vent hood and not an OTR microwave. I’m sure it’s not easy to keep costs down and still use quality products. For me personally I want a house that has a real pantry and a real laundry room.

• ffpalms
    last year

paimsest, I hope that some real estate professionals will come here to answer the question - if a well designed house outside the norm can compete with the trends - if offered at the same price. I understand that builders are not likely to make risky choices.

• ffpalms
    last year

spindles, I agree, pantries and laundry rooms are important hubs in a home. So often they are just afterthoughts. Other big issues are natural light, cross breezes, and landscaping.

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    last year

I am going to stick my neck out and say a new house at a mid-entry-level part of the market, the average new house bought by the average middle class buyer. no, something out of the norm is not going to "compete" per se, it will of course appeal to a pool of buyers but it is not going to appeal to the broadest range of buyers. I think it would be a niche market.

• tracefloyd
    last year

I had the same experience with The Josh but inverse. A building was going up with gorgeous purple and blue color block exterior walls. Finally some color other than gray! Alas, it was just the vapor shield. It's another gray buiding.

In California it is the faux Spanish Colonial / Mediterranean on enormous scale. Like a huge new upscale mall in Folsom is laid out in streets and sidewalks where you drive up and park in front of gigantic storefronts. Fake ugly downtown but so compelling because of the nostalgia and the need for something resembling the real thing that I found myself liking it in spite of myself. How low have I sunk?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    last year

So I'm not the only one who hates the dreaded gray. Well-written article.

• Alicia
    last year

I don’t understand the fake weathered grey wood look floors. Reminds me of a rotting deck. Where did that look come from?

• tracefloyd
    last year

HGTV...the channel conditioned us to forever live in a home staged for resale. Colonial decor has finally been replaced by Modern Farmhouse. Oak is old fashioned.

• oreolucca1
    last year

I am in real estate my clients would love a house outside of the norm. My mid level clients 450k to 700k would love to find something with some soul and character. It’s harder at the starter price point. But every now and then you find something that has had thought and personality put into it. It sells high and quickly.

Sponsored
Yellowlite
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Chicago's Leading Clean Energy & Solar Panel Provider